ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Spring Football and Beyond

Mike Stone

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2014
Delaware, Ohio
gtgsports.com
I don't know about you guys but I am jacked up and ready to get this thing rolling. Ending last season in the fashion that we did has me more anxious for a football season than I can ever remember being. It all starts Friday so I thought I'd share my thoughts and maybe have an open forum for spring football and different things people want to see.

DEFENSE

I know there was already a thread with a lot of input about the defense for 2015 so I'll keep it brief. I think the safety position is obviously going to draw a lot of interest this spring from day one. I think Geno Smith is our FS unless someone comes in and flat out beats him out for it. As for SS, I honestly have no idea. Hootie Jones possibly? Is he experienced enough? Will a corner move to safety? Will one of the early enrollees step into a role? I think Geno can be a solid safety for us in 2015. He is a senior and he knows the defense. I think having a senior back there could be huge for Alabama's chances. The other safety spot is a big question mark and hopefully spring ball will give us some of those answers.

Cyrus Jones is going to man one of the corner positions but who will be starting on the other side of the field? I think four guys have a chance to compete for that position. Eddie, Tony, Marlon, and Bradley. Personally I like Tony Brown and I'd like to see Eddie move to strong safety. Also the star and money positions to think about. Jabriel Washington and Maurice Smith played a lot at those positions last year but maybe one of these other corners or safety prospects can get a shot. Those positions are more critical now than ever as we are almost always in Nickel or Dime with the way teams are playing offense.

Reggie Ragland coming back is HUGE. Hopefully he can be the leader out there that we'll need. An interesting battle will take place for the other middle linebacker spot. I think this is Reuben Foster's year to either step into a major starting role or probably get passed up by the younger guys. Shaun Dion Hamilton needs a role so there will certainly be competition.

I think we miss Dickson at first this season but by the end of the year I would be really surprised if Evans hasn't completely filled that void.

Defensive line is going to be dominant.

OFFENSE

A lot of new faces this season but I think we bring back two of the most important positions. Our left tackle and our center. Quarterback is obviously going to be the talk of the spring and the summer and maybe even into the fall like this past year. I would say based on what Coach Saban has shown in the past, Jake is the front runner and I think someone would have to clearly beat him out for him to not be the starter next season. I feel good about Coker in '15... and I feel good about anyone that beats him out too. So I think we are fine no matter who our QB is.

Wide Receiver will have all new faces and Amari will surely be missed. I'm not too concerned though there is talent there and I just never have believed receivers were a crucial component of winning a championship. We won one with Hanks and Maze as our go-to guys. With that being said, I would expect Stewart, Black, and Sims will be the top three WRs for the Tide this year.

Not much to say about OJ Howard except I am hoping for a big year from him. Needs to become more physical and be a better blocker and I think things will open up for him more in the passing game as a result. Ton of potential.

I think Derrick and Kenyan are the 1-2 lineup at running back this year. We will have to see what happens with Tyren Jones otherwise it would seem Bo could slip in there and get some carries or maybe even Damien Harris in the fall. Feel pretty good about running back I think Henry has his best season yet at Alabama.

A lot of that will depend on who wins those three open offensive line spots. I'm not sure who the favorites are but it will be good to see some new guys up front. Hopefully we can get a better push in the running game.

We also have the nation's best punter. So when all else fails, let JK pin 'em deep.

Overall I think we have another very good football team and will likely have another good season. The schedule is absolutely brutal this year and I doubt we can run the table but fortunately we don't have to do that to get into the playoffs. We will also be trying to win back to back SEC championships which hasn't been done in quite some time. I hope the team has a great spring summer and fall because we have Wisconsin right out of the gate and two weeks later Ole Miss comes to town.

Roll Tide!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News