ADVERTISEMENT

Mac Jones was named CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
Mac Jones, quarterback of The University of Alabama’s 2020 College Football Playoff National and Southeastern Conference championship football team, has been named the Academic All-American of the Year by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).

A first-round pick by the New England Patriots, Jones is the fourth Crimson Tide student-athlete to earn the prestigious accolade, giving Alabama the most honorees in the award’s history. He joins Brooke Pancake (women’s golf/2012), Barrett Jones (football/2013) and Kim Jacob (gymnastics/2014) in earning the award that recognizes the top scholar-athlete in the nation regardless of sport or gender.

From Mac Jones:

“It is an honor to be named the CoSIDA Academic All-American Team Member of the Year. Being an Academic All-American is something I’ve always dreamed of and it has been a goal of mine for as long as I can remember. Through hard work and help from close family, friends, teachers and mentors, I have long understood the importance of school, learning and leadership. Thank you to everyone who helped me along my academic journey.”

Mac Jones, Champion on the Gridiron and Classroom

• Was voted the 2020 CoSIDA Football Academic All-American of the Year as well as a First Team Football Academic All-American
  • Graduated with a bachelor's degree in communication studies in December of 2019, maintaining a perfect 4.0 grade-point average during his undergraduate career
  • Completed his master's degree in sport hospitality in December of 2020, again finishing with a perfect 4.0 GPA
  • Named the SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year at the completion of the 2020 regular season in addition to being selected as a consensus first team All-American for his play on the field at year’s end
  • Recipient of the Davey O'Brien, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm and Manning awards while also being one of four finalists for the Heisman Trophy last season
  • Led the nation with a 201.1 passer rating and a 96.1 QBR while guiding the Crimson Tide to a perfect 13-0 record and the program's 18th national championship

Alabama Football and the CoSIDA Academic All-America Program

• Mac Jones is the second Alabama football student-athlete to earn CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year recognition and the third to earn CoSIDA Football Academic All-American of the Year honors, joining Barrett Jones (2013) and Greg McElroy (2010)
  • Alabama football is one of just four schools with more than one Football Academic All-American of the Year honor
  • Jones and Landon Dickerson both earned First Team Academic All-America honors in 2020, giving Alabama football a total of 25 players who have earned 30 honors with Jones, Johnny Musso and Randy Hall all earning multiple honors
  • Alabama football's complete list of CoSIDA Academic All-Americans include: Tommy Brooker (1961), Pat Trammell (1961), Gaylon McCollough (1964), Dennis Homan (1965), Steve Sloan (1965), Bob Childs (1967), Steve Davis (1967), Musso (1970, 1971), Carey Varnado (1970), Jim Krapf (1972), Hall (1973, 1974), Dave McMakin (1973), Danny Ridgeway (1975), Lou Green (1977), Wayne Hamilton (1977), Major Ogilvie (1979), Malcolm Simmons (1983), Kenny King (2002), Barrett Jones (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), Colin Peek (2009), Greg McElroy (2010), Arie Kouandjio (2014), Keaton Anderson (2018), Jones (2020) and Dickerson (2020)
  • Overall, the Crimson Tide has tallied 210 CoSIDA Academic All-America certificates across its 21 sports

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News