ADVERTISEMENT

Tony's takes: Breaking down Nick Saban's Wednesday press conference (8/24)

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama held its 17th preseason practice Wednesday as the team makes its finishing touches before heading into game week for its season opener against Utah State on Sept. 3 inside Bryant-Denny Stadium. Following the workout, Nick Saban spoke with local reporters. Here’s a transcript of what he said as well as my take on what it means.

Opening statement

"Well, I haven't really talked to you guys since watching the scrimmage film. So, I do think we made significant improvement in a lot of areas. But still, the question remains: can you complete a simple task on a consistent basis so you can play winning football? And that's the question that a lot of players have to answer, especially some of the backup players, the less experienced players who are getting plenty of reps now, but they have to take advantage of the opportunity. It comes down to what I said last year. You've got to prepare yourself so when you get a chance to play, you can take advantage of that because you are ready to play. Rather than focusing on too many other things. You control what you say, what you think and what you do. And what somebody else does, what somebody else says, what somebody else thinks really doesn't matter.

"So, it's important to stay focused and keep the main thing the main thing, especially at this point in time. Because right now, we've got to start deciding who are we going to coach, who are we going to bring along, who are we going to play on special teams, how many guys can we travel with, what's their role going to be. And guys have had a lot of opportunities to find that. Hopefully, we'll get more and more guys that are ready to play winning football so that we have more depth on the team because we definitely need that to get through the kinda schedule, the kinda difficult challenges we're gonna have in the future.

"Other than that, nothing else to really report. We continue this week to work on other opponents who do different things, and we'll do a little bit on the first game tomorrow. But not really starting on that until Friday full metal jacket."

Tony’s take: Consistency has been a key talking point for Saban during camp, so it wasn’t a surprise to see him highlight it again during his opening statement. With 10 days remaining until its season opener, Alabama is in the process of deciding who will take on impact roles this season. As Saban mentioned, this is an opportunity for younger players to step up and prove they are deserving of reps. The way to do that at Alabama is through consistent play during practice.

On how punter James Burnip is adjusting

"James has made a lot of improvement. He's got really good potential. I think the biggest thing that he has to continue to do is consistency. Now, when he takes the right steps and he drops the ball, he's got a really powerful leg, but he's just got to do that on a really, really consistent basis. He's gotten a lot better, so we have a lot more confidence. I think he's got a lot more confidence. I think he feels a lot better about the situation he's in and what's expected of him, and he's done a good job this fall camp."

Tony’s take: Burnip didn’t exactly set the world on fire during his first season of American football last year. Still, the Australian averaged 39.13 yards over 48 punts while limiting opponents to just 6.54 yards per return.

Burnip, a product of the famed Prokick Australia, has a powerful leg and can kick out of several angles. If he’s able to continue to rise to his potential, he could be a valuable asset to the Crimson Tide moving forward.

On the competition at inside linebacker

“I think that we have three guys now for two positions that you definitely can count on. And then we’ve got about four other guys who really all have the ability to do it, that need to continue to make improvement. Those are the guys on our team that I’m really talking about. You know, what do you have to do to prepare so you can take advantage of an opportunity when you get it, so that we’re not making mental errors and we’re not just gifting to the other team because we’re not sure what we’re doing and we’re not confident in how to do it and can’t go out there and play fast and play team defense.

So that’s what we’ve got to continue to do. And when you talk about linebackers, if you don’t fit runs right and you leave a gap open, you get gashed. So we definitely need for those guys to continue to improve.

Tony’s take: The three players Saban is referring to are seniors Henry To’oTo’o and Jaylen Moody as well as redshirt freshman Deontae Lawson. To’oTo’o, Alabama’s leading tackler last season, is set to retain his starting role at Mike linebacker while Moody and Lawson are battling for the starting spot at Will linebacker vacated by Christian Harris.

As Saban pointed out, the mental part of the game is crucial at the inside linebacker positions. Because of that, Moody’s experience in the program could put him over the edge when it comes to his competition with Lawson.

On running back Jase McClellan

“He’s done great. He’s really played well. No limitations. No limitations in scrimmages. No limitations in practice. Explosive. Made some really good runs in the last scrimmage. Made a lot of people miss. Good receiver. Can play with power. So he’s done really well.”

Tony’s take: While Georgia Tech transfer Jahmyr Gibbs has generated more attention, McClellan should also play a significant role in Alabama’s backfield. Before suffering a season-ending knee injury last October, the 5-foot-11, 212-pound running back was one of the Crimson Tide’s biggest offensive weapons, averaging 4.78 yards per carry with 191 yards and a touchdown on the ground while pulling in 10 receptions for 97 yards and three more scores through the air.

According to sources, McClellan looked sharp during Alabama’s second scrimmage over the weekend, rushing for roughly 50 yards with a pair of touchdowns.

On the mentality of the offensive line

“I’m encouraged by the improvements that we made in the offensive line. We seem to have a little better mentality. I think the personality of their coach has definitely added something to the mentality of how we play and what we’re doing and how we’re doing. And I think the personality of the players is certainly something that has been a real positive in terms of how they approach things and what they’ve tried to do. So I feel more comfortable in the running game that we have. And we’re able to pass protect a little better. I’ve been really pleased with the progress that group has made.

Tony’s take: One thing that has been constant in Saban’s praise of the offensive line this offseason has been his appreciation of first-year assistant Eric Wolford. Alabama brought in Wolford from Kentucky after he developed the Wildcats' offensive line into a Joe Moore Award finalist last season. While the Crimson Tide still has a ways to go up front, Wolford seems to have the unit headed in the right direction.

On Louisville transfer receiver Tyler Harrell’s progression

First of all, he had a sprained foot for awhile so he wasn’t able to practice all the time. But now probably the last scrimmage and this week — Tuesday, Wednesday of this week — he’s starting to get more reps. I think he’s starting to get more confident. I do think he’s a guy that because of his speed can help us. I think he’s got to continue to make progress, and we’re certainly working with him. And he’s had a great attitude about doing it. And we’ll just sort of keep on keeping on with him.

Tony’s take: Earlier this offseason, Saban said Harrell wasn’t at 100%. Now we know why. The Louisville transfer still needs to polish his game if he’s going to be a true difference maker in Alabama’s offense. However, his speed should earn him playing time this season.

On freshman receiver Kobe Prentice

“I think that he’s showing promise with his quickness playing at the slot. I think his opportunities have increased since JoJo got hurt. He’s taken advantage of it, played fairly well. I still think he’s got a ways to go in terms of knowledge of the offense and doing things exactly like we’d like for him to do it. But he’s got great work ethic. He works hard every day. He’s got a great attitude. He’s really positive and upbeat about what he’s doing. He doesn’t get frustrated easily. I think all those things are contributing to his development.”

Tony’s take: Prentice is in the midst of a breakout camp after joining the team as a summer arrival. Still, Saban is taking a cautious approach in how he praises the freshman receiver. According to sources, Prentice recorded a handful of receptions in both of Alabama's scrimmages this month. At the moment, he’s in the mix to claim one of the team’s three starting openings at receiver.

On safety Jordan Battle

“Jordan is, first of all, a very bright guy. He’s got really good work ethic. He loves the game. He loves to play. He loves to practice. He sets a good example. He’s a good leader. He’s got a really, really good understanding of everything that we’re doing in the secondary. Of course, he’s got lots of experience, but he’s a bright guy. And because he’s very conscientious to go with really good ability – he’s got really good size. He’s improved his ability to cover people, I think, a lot last year and this spring and this fall so far. So I just think he’s really a complete player, and I think he’s helping other players play better with his leadership. Communication is so important in the secondary, and when you have confident guys that aren’t afraid to call out, it helps other people around them play with more confidence, as well. And he’s certainly contributed to that in a very positive way.”

Tony’s take: Battle returns as the most important member of Alabama’s secondary as he will look to once again lead the unit during his senior year. According to Pro Football Focus, he led the Crimson Tide with an 89.7 coverage grade last season, ranking fourth in the nation among safeties with at least 300 coverage snaps. As Saban points out, his ability to communicate to other defensive backs on the field will be just as crucial as his athletic ability.

On the cornerback battle

“There’s a lot of competition. I can’t tell you who the starters are. I think we’ve got four guys, maybe five, that are all competing for positions, and they’re all making progress. A couple guys were hurt. Khyree missed a few days. Eli missed a whole week. But they’re all battling and they’re all (competing), and hopefully, the competition is making them better. But other than that, I really can’t say much about any of them. They’re all working hard, and there’s a lot of competition at the position. We’ll see how it shakes out.”

Tony’s take: Khyree Jackson (groin) and Eli Ricks (back) are both back from injury. However, Saban still needs more time to sort out his cornerback competition. Sophomore Kool-Aid McKinstry seems poised to take on one of the two starting openings at cornerback. Jackson and Ricks are competing with redshirt freshman Terrion Arnold for the other first-team role. Despite not making an appearance last season, Arnold has started across from McKinstry on the first-team defense in both of Alabama’s preseason scrimmages.

On freshman Emmanuel Henderson Jr. and his move receiver

“He’s making progress. Because of his speed, I think he can be a really good special teams player for us, as well. He’s got great work ethic, really good person, very conscientious, and I think that’s helped his development. I think that he can help us at that position, and I think he will before the season’s out. And we’ll just keep working on helping him develop. But I’m encouraged by his athleticism, his ability, his attitude, his work ethic and how he’s gone about developing as a player.”

Tony’s take: Following Alabama’s second scrimmage over the weekend, Saban announced that Henderson was switching from running back to wide receiver, stating the freshman has “been doing a nice job of making progress” at his new position. Henderson, 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, has nice speed for his size and could also contribute as a kick returner this season.

On John Talty’s book, if he plans to ever write one himself

“I wrote one once. I don’t plan to read the new book that’s out. I don’t really know what’s in it, and I don’t know what is right, what is wrong. What is good, what is bad. I used to get really upset when people did things like this, but I’ve kind of learned it kind of is the way of the world now. We don’t endorse the book in any way. I don’t plan to sign any of those books because I haven’t read it, I don’t know what’s in it and I don’t know what’s correct and what’s incorrect. But it is what it is. One of these days, maybe when I don’t have anything else to do – which is not anytime soon, I hope – I might consider it.”

Tony’s take: Saban didn’t seem pleased about not being involved in the process of John Talty’s new book, “The Leadership Secrets of Nick Saban: How Alabama's Coach Became the Greatest Ever.” However, he has bigger concerns at the moment and doesn’t seem too stirred up about it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News