ADVERTISEMENT

1983 NC State basketball: Best sports story ever imo

kingstephens

All American
Jul 1, 2011
I watched the espn 30 for 30 survive and advance on the 83 NC State basketball team and Jimmy Valvano and his team had a truly unbelievable run on their way to winning the national championship against Houston. They started the acc tournament with a 17-10 record woth no chance of going to the big dance. First they beat Wake forest, barely win the game by one, then they face N. Carolina with players like Jordan and Perkins and they beat them, for the acc championship they beat Ralph Sampson and a Virginia team that was 27-3. They got the automatic bid. They get in the tournament, and in the first round, their down 6 to Pepperdine with 2 minutes to go and they pull it off in double ot, they go on to beat UNlV by 1, they whipped Utah, beat Virginia for a second time by 1, beat Georgia and upset Houston in the national title. Houston had Drexler and Olajawon, one of the greatest teams ever. 83 NC State was truly a team of destiny. I was a baby when that team made their run, i bet some of the old school guys couldn't believe how that team kept pulling those games out. That team was a hell of a story, unbelievable run that team made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News