ADVERTISEMENT

25% in the Portal

Vaughnbama

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2009
The Transfer Portal may be the death of college athletics. At the present time it is estimated that over 25% of all college basketball players are in the transfer portal. The age of unrestricted free agency and the rich getting richer is upon us. Schools like Duke, UNC and Kansas will soon be paying no penalty for misjudging a talent. If Kentucky has too many one and done's, they can just go to the portal to replenish and the original signing school loses.

I know some like the portal, but I think it is bad for the sport of basketball.

The Transfer Portal may be the death of college athletics. At the present time it is estimated that over 25% of all college basketball players are in the transfer portal. The age of unrestricted free agency and the rich getting richer is upon us. Schools like Duke, UNC and Kansas will soon be paying no penalty for misjudging a talent. If Kentucky has too many one and done's, they can just go to the portal to replenish and the original signing school loses.

Me too

Reactions: Codie B
Between 25% in the portal, one and dones, and now the G League is taking HS recruits, the game of college BB is getting more and more watered down, and the play will continue to decline, not just due to lessor talent, but fewer players playing together for more than a season or 2.

Kind of makes you wonder what the mindset of these kids are when they initially commit to a school. It's one thing for a kid to sign with UTEP and then blow up so that all of the best teams want him. But with so many kids making lateral moves out of programs it makes you wonder why they chose school "X" in the first place.

Reactions: Codie B

Between 25% in the portal, one and dones, and now the G League is taking HS recruits, the game of college BB is getting more and more watered down, and the play will continue to decline, not just due to lessor talent, but fewer players playing together for more than a season or 2.

Kind of makes you wonder what the mindset of these kids are when they initially commit to a school. It's one thing for a kid to sign with UTEP and then blow up so that all of the best teams want him. But with so many kids making lateral moves out of programs it makes you wonder why they chose school "X" in the first place.
I don't thing it will be the death of CBB or college athletics, times are changing and you either change with it r fall behind. There is far too much money in college athletic for those who are cashing in to far behind.

It is not all on the kids, just look at Alabama each and every year in football and not basketball. They bring in better players and the kid who is not as good is told to look elsewhere, that is not on the kid who wanted to be there, has done everything right, but they are not as talented as the coaches would like them to be.

As for the G league, I think it could be a positive for CBB. I know they will take the most talented players, most of whom would be one-and-done players, but it could get CBB back to what it was in the 80s and 90s when I started watching. Teams were together for 3-4 years and grew as players together. You felt like you knew the kids on the court because they played for your program for so long. I think you get a better product on the floor when kids have played together for a while and know each others' game as well as they know their own.

But at the end of the day, college athletics is too much of a cash cow to let die, it will be just fine.

The Transfer Portal is not an issue. The Transfer POLICY is the issue. (Merely semantics)
It will slow down somewhat IF/When they allow 1 “free transfer“, but require sitting a year if player transfers again.
The current number is also inflated because of the extra-year of eligibility Covid policy - seniors stay so their spots don’t open up, causing players to transfer; and many seniors have chosen to go elsewhere for Yr 5

The transfer portal is great for upper tier, established programs because you can use it to adjust your numbers, up or down, based on needs. Got too many players? Push the portal on (relative) underperformers. Got gaps due to injury/early declarations/poor evaluations? Fill gaps with proven players from other programs. The players even benefit because they get to seek more high school like attention with "commitment" announcements, re-recruiting, more "under the table" benefits. When Saban said "Is free agency really what we want this to be?", he wasn't bemoaning what it might do to Bama. He was letting the rest of the world know that it's ass-kicking time and he just bought new boots...

OGC.d27c4e7d2d3d6f68abf8f41db480d0f1

Reactions: EugDan and Codie B
ADVERTISEMENT