ADVERTISEMENT

After upsets, Alabama's NCAA tournament run appears a bit more manageable

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014

Alabama basketball’s road to the Elite Eight no longer includes a single-digit-seeded opponent. The No. 2 seed Crimson Tide avoided an upset against No. 15 Iona on Saturday afternoon. Then utter chaos broke out in the bottom half of the East bracket.

First came an upset in the game concerning Alabama’s next opponent as No. 10 seed Maryland knocked off No. 7 seed Connecticut, 63-54. Things got even more interesting as No. 11 seed UCLA took down No. 6 seed BYU, 73-62. The madness then carried into the bracket’s final game of the night as No. 14 seed Abilene Christian held on to shock No. 3 seed Texas, 53-52.

All of a sudden, the Tide’s road to the Elite Eight looks pretty manageable — at least on paper.

Alabama (25-6) will now turn its focus to Monday when it will face Maryland (17-13) at 7:45 p.m. CT inside Indianapolis’ Bankers Life Fieldhouse which serves as the home of the Indiana Pacers. The matchup will offer a reunion for the Tide as it goes up against Galin Smith, who transferred from Alabama to Maryland this season. Smith comes off the bench for the Terrapins and is averaging 3.8 points and 2.4 rebounds while playing 14.1 minutes per game.

Maryland finished just 9-11 in the Big Ten and has not won consecutive games since February. However, the Terrapins looked formidable Saturday night as they shot 51.2 percent, including 9 of 18 from beyond the arc, while holding Connecticut to 32.3 percent from the floor.

Meanwhile, Alabama didn’t bring its A-game against Iona but was still able to survive to net its seventh straight victory. The Tide is a 6-point favorite heading into the matchup, according to VegasInsider.

“To me, they're the fifth No. 1 seed, if there are five No. 1 seeds,” Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon said of Alabama following his win against Connecticut. “They won their league and their conference tournament. That's remarkable. They've had an extraordinary year, so talented. I'll start working on it on the bus home maybe. I want to enjoy it as long as I can. And we'll start getting prepared for them tomorrow.”

If Alabama is able to get past Maryland, it will face the winner of UCLA versus Abilene Christian in the Sweet 16. A win in that game would take the Tide to the Elite Eight, the deepest it has advanced in the tournament in program history. The top half of the East bracket is all chalk as Alabama's possible Elite Eight opponents include No. 1 seed Michigan, No. 4 seed Florida State, No. 5 seed Colorado and No. 8 seed LSU.

Even before Saturday’s upsets, Alabama was a popular pick to advance to the Final Four. Auburn basketball legend Charles Barkley reluctantly picked the Tide to win the East bracket, while ESPN’s Jay Bilas also picked Alabama to knock off No. 1 seed Michigan in the Elite Eight.

Those projections appear a bit more possible at the moment. However, as Saturday night proved, there’s a lot more dancing to be done.

Last edited:
I have only got 18 of the first 32 picks correct. But I did manage to pick the UCLA vs Abilene Christian matchup in the round of 32. I have UCLA playing Bama in the Sweet 16. While I do have Bama beating UCLA it’s going to be much more difficult than I thought...UCLA is playing really well.

Reactions: xcop
I have only got 18 of the first 32 picks correct. But I did manage to pick the UCLA vs Abilene Christian matchup in the round of 32. I have UCLA playing Bama in the Sweet 16. While I do have Bama beating UCLA it’s going to be much more difficult than I thought...UCLA is playing really well.
200.gif

Reactions: sipsey37
This NCAA basketball tournament is insane. Loyola- Chicago is the real deal. There so fundamentally sound. Illinois never had a chance.

Reactions: RollTide15
We’re going to have to play much better. Teams are figuring us out, and we don’t adjust well. Basketball IQ is a huge weakness for our players. Like yesterday with a double digit lead with just a few minutes, we’d take poor shots with lots of time still on the clock, commit fouls away from the basket and give them cheap FTs. We need someone to step up, hit some shots and get some confidence going.

We’re going to have to play much better. Teams are figuring us out, and we don’t adjust well. Basketball IQ is a huge weakness for our players. Like yesterday with a double digit lead with just a few minutes, we’d take poor shots with lots of time still on the clock, commit fouls away from the basket and give them cheap FTs. We need someone to step up, hit some shots and get some confidence going.
[tQUOTE]

We are not hard to figure out. We are a dribble drive offense that really spaces the floor.
The problems yesterday were 20 turnovers,poor offense execution, and poor free throw shooting.
We have not taken much time to shoot all year.We average 14 seconds per possession.
That's how Coach Oats has us playing. Fouls are just part of the game and the discretion of the
officials. We need for John Petty to get going offensively and for the team to continue to play
great defense and rebound.

Teams with low basketball IQ don't win there conference and tournament Championships. Teams with low basketball IQ rarely make the tournament. This Alabama team does a great job of adjusting to the flow of the game. We've had several games that we didn't shoot well but won anyway. Teams with low basketball IQ players just don't win like Bama has this year. If teams are just now figuring us out in the NCAA tournament then that's a good thing

Teams with low basketball IQ don't win there conference and tournament Championships. Teams with low basketball IQ rarely make the tournament. This Alabama team does a great job of adjusting to the flow of the game. We've had several games that we didn't shoot well but won anyway. Teams with low basketball IQ players just don't win like Bama has this year. If teams are just not figuring us out in the NCAA tournament then that's a good thing

Garza and Iowa are sort of scary down low. He works really hard underneath the basket.

Reactions: pfaud001
The reality is, maybe most of the upsets or not upsets but teams that where overrated to start with. I think teams get so accustomed as to the style of play within their own conferences that they cannot adapt easily to teams that play much quicker. Point being the Big 10 plays big and slow. Maybe, just maybe Oats style of play is more going to be the norm.

I think we are seeing a lot of traditional style teams being beaten right now. When I say traditional, I'm thinking about the "get the ball into the post" style offenses.

Reactions: HOUNDZTOOTH1
ADVERTISEMENT