ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama basketball end-of-season reviews: John Petty Jr.

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
By Hunter Cruse

As Alabama basketball moves into the offseason, BamaInsider is continuing its end-of-season reviews, breaking down the Crimson Tide players’ performances based on expectations. Next up on our list is senior guard John Petty Jr.

What did we expect?

Petty, the No. 28 recruit in the 2017 recruiting class, came to Alabama as a highly-anticipated prospect. Over his first three seasons with the Tide, he averaged 11.5 points, 4.3 rebounds, and 2.0 assists. Petty was a projected second-round pick before removing his name from the 2020 NBA Draft and returning to school. He’s a talented shot-maker, but scouts were skeptical of his decision-making. Petty averaged 2.5 assists per game while committing 2.6 turnovers last season, a concerning ratio for a player who works primarily in a spot-up role.

When analyzing Petty’s skill set, he is a gifted scorer in catch-and-shoot situations. He shot 44 percent from 3 last year with 72.9 percent of those jumpers coming off assists. Petty shares similarities to NBA players such as J.J. Redick and Duncan Robinson, who unlock a team’s offensive potential with their movement shooting ability.

Petty Jr. was named to the preseason All-SEC first-team before this season. He was expected to be a contender for the SEC’s player of the year award.

What did we get?

Petty had an up-and-down senior season. He struggled in Alabama’s last three non-conference games averaging 8.3 points and 5.7 rebounds on 24.1 percent shooting from the field. However, he scored more than 10 points in the nine games to follow, which’s the longest consecutive streak of his career. Petty averaged 15.3 points and 4.7 rebounds on 54.9 percent shooting over that stretch.

jhyybjeuelozft4cvf5k

This season, Petty averaged 12.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 1.9 assists on 42.0 percent shooting from the field. The 6-foot-5 guard passed Brian Williams (1996-99) to become the program leader with 311 made 3-pointers over his career. Alabama’s success was taken to another level when Petty was clicking on all cylinders. The Crimson Tide was 13-1 in games that he made three or more jumpers from long distance.

Petty is a matchup nightmare after consecutive jumpers fall. During the Jan. 19 at LSU, the 6-foot-5 guard scored 21 points in the first half. He finished with 24 points and four rebounds on 72.7 percent (8 of 11) shooting in Alabama’s 105-75 victory.

z6fdhl4dsymggny7fwy0

In the play above, Herbert Jones leads the fastbreak with a pair of teammates trailing on both sides of the court. Jones hits Petty in stride for a 3 despite the strong contest from LSU’s Cameron Thomas (No. 24). Petty got into his shooting motion quickly with his momentum forcing to the baseline. This is a difficult shot that NBA teams will value at the next level.

On defense, Petty showed he can defend multiple positions by navigating through ball screens in the pick-and-roll. He’s got 3-and-D upside when using his rangy athleticism to disrupt opposing offenses. Petty also averaged 5.2 rebounds per game last season, a solid number for his size.

pbsjwah1vxeaccmktfy7

Here’s a possession from Alabama’s 66-61 loss at Oklahoma. Petty keeps Oklahoma guard De’Vion Harmon (No. 11) from creating separation before the Sooners set a ball screen to give Harmon space on the drive. Petty makes a strong recovery when blocking the dunk attempt, an impressive defensive stand where he illustrates his on-ball, off-ball, and rim protection ability.

Petty was second on the team with 449 blue-collar points, a metric that measures effort plays by compiling points for deflections, steals, blocks, rebounds, floor dives and charges. He earned Alabama’s “Hard Hat Award” four times.

Offseason outlook

Petty might not have had the season he was hoping for but should still anticipate a professional career with scouts projecting him as a possible late second-round pick in this year’s NBA draft. ESPN has Petty ranked as No. 25 shooting guard and No. 78 overall prospect. Meanwhile, Tankathon ranks him as the No. 15 shooting guard and No. 59 overall prospect.

Petty projects as an elite 3-point shooter but struggles to create his own shot. His one-dimensional offensive attack has caused scouts to have fluctuating viewpoints on his draft position. The Huntsville, Ala. native is a potential steal if the right organization selects him.

Season Grade: B-

I thought he played a lot better the year before. He needs to work on attitude in my opinion.

I thought he played a lot better the year before. He needs to work on attitude in my opinion.
Petty has one of the best attitudes on the team. He was a team leader and the players and coaches love him. An absolute great kid on and off the court. This is a surprising take? Where do you see a attitude problem from this kid?

Last edited:
Petty has the one of the best attitudes on the team. He was a team leader and the players and coaches love him. An absolute great kid on and off the court. This is a surprising take? Where do you see a attitude problem from this kid?
To me he just played sort of non-chalant at times after December. I mean his defense was great, but offense seemed to lack. Maybe, he was frustrated at times.

Reactions: Bocat69
Petty has one of the best attitudes on the team. He was a team leader and the players and coaches love him. An absolute great kid on and off the court. This is a surprising take? Where do you see a attitude problem from this kid?
Gotta agree I don’t get this take on Petty at all. He pretty much got after it 100 percent of the time.

You lost me when you compared Petty to JJ Reddick! Reddick is damn near automatic from the line, not a turnover machine, an Iconic college player, and I've never seen Reddick airball a wide open 3......Petty is know for his airballs lol!

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I could of sworn that Oats benched him earlier in the season for an attitude issue. To Petty's credit he bounced back from that 100% in the following games.

I wish Petty all the success he can find. Alabama kid and stuck around to rebuild Bama basketball culture. I know there are some holes in his game, some inconsistencies he'll have to work on before he has a chance to hit a NBA roster IMO. He can work on that overseas or G-League and make some good money while doing it. I'll always remember those games where he got in the zone and rained threes. Bama's all-time leading 3-point shooter is a pretty special accomplishment.

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I could of sworn that Oats benched him earlier in the season for an attitude issue. To Petty's credit he bounced back from that 100% in the following games.
Petty was mumbling & grumbling about how the season had started...

CNO sat him down and talked to him like a man and told him that he had proclaimed to be a Senior Leader of the team...

CNO explained that is not how Leaders act... and told Petty he had to sit out one game and when he came back that he needed to be the leader that CNO expected, and CNO has said that Petty responded in the right manner.

I'm OK if people don't agree, but his body language at times, effort, etc.... just didn't translate well to ME. I could be wrong, and it's just what I got from watching games on TV. I don't really believe that "attitudes" change just like that from the December issues. I mean I'm just another fan watching TV and posting on a message board and the chances of changing peoples minds on Social Media are pretty much nil. As if my opinion really matters in the grand scheme of life on earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wf call
Was a liability offensively when it counted down the stretch.
I agree he wasn’t himself, but in the NCAA tournament he scored:
Vs. Iona: 10 points
Vs. Maryland: 20 points
Vs. UCLA: 16 points

Can’t really blame that guy for offensive issues down the stretch

I would like to know how his "points at the rim" compare to Shack, Primo, and Q. May not be what I expect but it just seems like Petty rarely ever beat his man off of the dribble. I know he rebounded well which helped his point production but I can't help but think his lack of penetration to the rim negatively affected his performance in Oats' system. 6'9" guys should be set shot 3-point shooters. Your guards shouldn't be.

I still think he should've cut his hair.

I'm partly joking but my coach made me cut my shaggy ass bangs and it greatly improved me. I felt like fag tho but when I realized I wasn't trying to get that hair out of my eyes the whole time I was able to focus more on just playing basketball.

Seriously, there's a lot to catch and shooting fast and adding in flicking that hair over becomes complicated...lol.

But don't get me wrong, I still think he looks cute with his hair.

I still think he should've cut his hair.

I'm partly joking but my coach made me cut my shaggy ass bangs and it greatly improved me. I felt like fag tho but when I realized I wasn't trying to get that hair out of my eyes the whole time I was able to focus more on just playing basketball.

Seriously, there's a lot to catch and shooting fast and adding in flicking that hair over becomes complicated...lol.

But don't get me wrong, I still think he looks cute with his hair.
I always said not sure what hair dressing [if any] that JP was using... but as many times as he tugged at his locks/hair that I'm sure there was a little substance or grease on his fingers

Reactions: rsaxoniii
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT