ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama basketball's Kai Spears sues New York Times after story links him to deadly shooting

James Benedetto

All American
Staff
Jul 30, 2022
Alabama men’s basketball player Kai Spears sued the New York Times this week for defamation, saying the newspaper accused him of being at the scene of a deadly shooting that took place on the Tuscaloosa Strip.

Spears told the Washington Post that he was “at his dorm with friends” on 23-year-old Jamea Harris was killed.

“I was not anywhere near the scene or vicinity at the time that took place,” Spears told the Washington Post. “I don’t think it is a mistaken identity. I just think they didn’t do their due diligence.”

The Times published a story stating Spears was in Brandon Miller’s car on the Tuscaloosa Strip on Jan. 15. Spears is seeking $75,000, not counting court costs or interest.

During a preliminary hearing for former Alabama basketball player Darius Miles and Michael Davis in February, a Tuscaloosa Police investigator said Miles, Davis and Miller were at the scene of the fatal shooting and the gun was allegedly brought to Miles in Miller’s car. Miles, who was dismissed by the university, and Davis are facing capital murder charges while Miller wasn’t charged with a crime.

According to the Washington Post, Spears had two friends visiting and met up with Miller Houndstooth on the Strip then went to go eat at Moe’s Original BBQ at 12:30 a.m. The group had a FaceTime call with Jaden Bradley who asked if they wanted to go out but Spears and his friends declined and went back to Spears’ dorm. According to the lawsuit, Spears and his friends left at 1:40 a.m. The shooting happened on Grace Street at 1.45 a.m. About three minutes later, Spears called Miller and Bradley vis FaceTime and was told that gunshots were fired into Miller’s car.

According to the lawsuit, Spears “has experienced severe emotional distress as his life has been disrupted by the untrue statements linking him to a criminal event.”

“Everything kind of blew up,” Spears told the Washington Post. “I had multiple threats from Twitter and Instagram, people telling me to kill myself, people telling me I’m a murderer, we’re a team full of murderers. And they’re just kind of putting this false narrative out. … I mean, I did nothing wrong.”

Reactions: bet9 and lainey2020
If nothing else, the reporter and editor, who knowingly lied, should be fired and barred from future media employment. That is the only way this bald faced lying will ever be extracted from what our media has become today. It is beyond awful on so many levels how they purposely, and knowingly, destroy people’s lives over things they either don’t have any evidence on, or that are just outright made up lies.

I would sue for alot more than $75,000 dollars! I’d make sure I got the sandman deal and never work again!

Reactions: bet9
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT