ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama dominates Miss St 85-48

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
That was arguably the most complete game that I have seen from Alabama in a long time. Alabama was resting their starters with around 12 minutes left to go in the half up 37 in the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament. That is wild. Now, prayers up for Joshua Primo as we wait to see what kind of injury he sustained in the 2nd half, but it did not look good. Alabama shot 48% from the field, 13/36 from 3, and perfect 8/8 from the charity stripe. The incredible part about this game was how suffocating Alabama's defense was on Miss St. Miss St shot 29% from the field and 1/19 (!!!) from 3. Alabama dominated the paint as they typically do and scored 30 points off 16 turnovers. That is why Alabama has the 3rd highest defensive efficiency in the country, despite what people say about giving up too many points. .

Herb Jones filled the stat sheet again today with 8 points, 7 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks. Not bad for a guy that should be benched, huh? The guy who continues to shine off the bench is Jahvon Quinerly who scored 14 points on 6/8 shooting in just 22 minutes and just dissected the defense every trip up the floor. No player on the team logged more than 22 minutes and plenty of reserves got a lot of action that will be critical if Primo has to miss time. One guy who I want to address is Juwan Gary. Gary scored 11 points while not missing a shot and played with incredible energy and intensity. He grabbed every loose ball, defended the rim, and really put a big body on the big guys of Miss St down low. He and Ellis will log a lot of minutes going forward if Primo is forced to miss time.

Alabama faces the winner of Tennessee and Florida tomorrow afternoon in the semifinals. Alabama has beaten both teams by double digits this season and matchup well with both squads. They just have to bring the intensity they brought today into that game. Alabama is a team that can win the national championship because of how complete of a team they are, their depth, and their leadership. This game might be Alabama hitting their peak at the right time.

Gary may be finally getting back into things after his injury. Hopefully Rojas is the same. I didn’t noticed his name mentioned. Today was his best offensive game by a long shot, imo. Scored efficiently, made some really good passes and no charges.
Been saying we needed JQ to run the show for a long long time. Can’t win this time of the year without a guard that can get the ball to the rim.
And how about Miles? I’m not sure how much we lose offensively with him in and Primo out. He may not shoot the three as well but he can’t handle the ball and distribute it better. That dude may play some point guard next year even with JD and JQ.

tenor.gif

Harper hit the nail on the head I think. One big thing I was worried about was that we may have peaked too early in the season. I was really afraid that we wouldn’t get back to how we were playing in January and we’d squander this opportunity. Man I’m so glad I was wrong. We looked better today than at any point during the season. I seriously can’t think of anything that we did poorly today. Obviously the biggest thing was the intensity and execution we had on both ends of the floor. Said it multiple times....when we play like this, we can compete with anyone in the country. JQ continues to play at an All SEC level. Makes me feel great having a point guard that I trust completely at the end of the game with the ball in his hands.

This team has a real chance to make an elite eight or final four run. As long as we bring this intensity every game we will be just fine

Reactions: rsaxoniii
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT