ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama guard Nimari Burnett discusses 'very tough decision' to transfer

James Benedetto

All American
Staff
Jul 30, 2022
"When it comes to the players on the coaching staff, it wasn’t like I was super disgruntled and hated everything — no," Burnett said.

Burnett said he and Alabama coach Nate Oats maintained a "great relationship throughout the season," but also noted there were times when it wavered.

313fed5d8fdd8b0845e19555a1da65c3.gif

"When it comes to the players on the coaching staff, it wasn’t like I was super disgruntled and hated everything — no," Burnett said.

Burnett said he and Alabama coach Nate Oats maintained a "great relationship throughout the season," but also noted there were times when it wavered.

313fed5d8fdd8b0845e19555a1da65c3.gif
Tried my best to explain, but he went back-and-forth throughout most of the interview. I think he wanted to make sure he all the right things so no one could use any audio against him

When asked about a possible return to Alabama, Burnett said “The door is open. If conversations were to be had, and I was accepted with open arms.”

Reactions: vegas man
When asked about a possible return to Alabama, Burnett said “The door is open. If conversations were to be had, and I was accepted with open arms.”
Unless Oats called him the "N" word what on earth could possibly warrant needing an apology from a coach (Sorry if I'm reading too much into it)? Geez I'd hate to be a coach in this climate.

Reactions: lainey2020
Unless Oats called him the "N" word what on earth could possibly warrant needing an apology from a coach (Sorry if I'm reading too much into it)? Geez I'd hate to be a coach in this climate.
I think Burnett wants lineup/playing time security. That’s what I took from that comment.

Reactions: lainey2020
This comment now makes me wonder if it was more of a mutual agreement that he should look elsewhere.

He didn’t ask for an apology, not in that statement at least. But there are plenty of things you can do or say that would warrant an apology, not just the N word.

Reactions: N ALbamafan
Reading into that IMO i'd say he had an end of the year meeting where he may have asked and requested some absolutes or at least some sort of "you won't be on the bench as much as this year" and he didn't get the response he needed to feel like he needed to stay. It stinks because he's a likeable guy but its a business and the better the team and program gets it becomes more of a chess match of personnel in the offseason.

He didn’t ask for an apology, not in that statement at least. But there are plenty of things you can do or say that would warrant an apology, not just the N word.
Fair enough about the apology. This whole system is making me jaded towards players and coaches.

Seems to me he wanted Oats to guarantee him PT/starter without earning it. He played okay before the injury, but even then he didn't set the world on fire. Why not stay and be a part of something great instead of possibly fading into obscurity?

Sounds like Burnett might be experiencing some Entitlement Issues. I say hit the road!

You guys reckon he might have had some conversation going on with Michigan before the season was over? Sure as hell didn't take him long to make up his mind.

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT