ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Head Basketball Coach Nate Oats Agrees to Contract Extension Through 2027

kyle h

All American
Staff
Feb 3, 2005
Alabama Head Basketball Coach Nate Oats Agrees to Contract Extension Through 2027

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –
University of Alabama Director of Athletics Greg Byrne announced Thursday that head men’s basketball Nate Oats and the University have agreed to a raise and contract extension.

The new agreement will extend his current contract by three seasons to six years and keep him in charge of the Crimson Tide basketball program through March 14, 2027. The base salary and talent fee will increase to $3.225 million annually.

“We are excited to agree to a contract extension with The University of Alabama,” Oats said. “Crystal and our daughters love it here, and we are committed to The University of Alabama. We feel like we have a lot of positive momentum going with our team and have the program headed in the right direction. Our administration is making a major statement with this extension as we all work on building a successful program for the long term. I know the winning history we’ve had with Alabama basketball, and I feel like we can add to that and accomplish great things here. We appreciate the opportunity Greg Byrne and our athletics administration, President Stuart Bell, Chancellor St. John and The Board of Trustees have provided us. This is really a reflection of the outstanding job that our players, coaches and basketball staff have done the last two years. Now we need all of our focus to be on finishing this season the right way and giving our team the best chance to succeed down the stretch.”

Now in his second season at the helm of the Crimson Tide program, Oats has guided Alabama to a 17-5 overall record and a 12-1 mark in Southeastern Conference play. The Tide is currently ranked No. 8 in the latest Associated Press Top 25, which is its highest ranking in the AP Poll since the 2006-07 campaign. Furthermore, the last time Alabama was ranked in the AP Top 10 in mid-February came in 2002. Projected as a No. 2 seed in this year’s NCAA Tournament, which would match the highest seed in program history, the Crimson Tide is just two wins away from clinching the program’s first regular season title in 19 years. He has a record of 33-20 (.623) across his two years at the Capstone and a 20-11 (.645) mark against SEC competition.

Prior to coming to Alabama, Oats spent four seasons (2015-19) at the University at Buffalo where he led the Bulls to a 96-43 (.691) record, three MAC Tournament Championships and three NCAA Tournament appearances. He was named the league's Coach of The Year and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) District 14 Coach of the Year in back-to-back seasons (2018 and 2019) and finished fourth in the voting for the 2019 Associated Press Men's College Coach of the Year.

“We are thrilled to be able to announce a contract extension with our head men’s basketball coach Nate Oats,” said Byrne. “We had great expectations when we hired Coach Oats. He has exceeded those expectations, and we want to ensure he is compensated among the top half of the SEC. We have put buyout measures in place that show the long-term commitment between both parties. Coach Oats and his staff have built a comprehensive program that has maximized our student-athlete’s experience, significantly increased interest in Alabama Basketball with future recruits and put forward a product that has excited our fan base. Nate, Crystal and the Oats family have embraced our community and state and, in turn, our fans have embraced them. A special thanks goes to President Bell, Chancellor St. John and our Board of Trustees for their support in helping to get this extension done.”

“We are very proud of what our men’s basketball program has accomplished in just a short period of time under Coach Oats’ leadership,” said University of Alabama President Stuart R. Bell. “His emphasis on effort, continuous growth and selflessness has helped our student-athletes excel on the court, in the classroom and in the community. He has embraced the standard of excellence at The University of Alabama, and we are excited he will continue to lead our program for years to come.”

While appropriate members of The Board of Trustees have been notified of the proposed terms and conditions of the proposed contract extension, the financial terms remain subject to the approval by The Board of Trustees.

Great news! I thought that CNO was here for the long haul and it's great to see that confirmed with the contract extension. The only surprise to me is Byrne saying that he wanted to make sure that Oats was compensated among the top half of the conference. I just assumed that would've already been the case. I knew Calipari would obviously be earning more, but outside of Rick Barnes I can't think of another coach in the conference who should be.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –
University of Alabama Director of Athletics Greg Byrne announced Thursday that head men’s basketball Nate Oats and the University have agreed to a raise and contract extension.

The new agreement will extend his current contract by three seasons to six years and keep him in charge of the Crimson Tide basketball program through March 14, 2027. The base salary and talent fee will increase to $3.225 million annually.

“We are excited to agree to a contract extension with The University of Alabama,” Oats said. “Crystal and our daughters love it here, and we are committed to The University of Alabama. We feel like we have a lot of positive momentum going with our team and have the program headed in the right direction. Our administration is making a major statement with this extension as we all work on building a successful program for the long term. I know the winning history we’ve had with Alabama basketball, and I feel like we can add to that and accomplish great things here. We appreciate the opportunity Greg Byrne and our athletics administration, President Stuart Bell, Chancellor St. John and The Board of Trustees have provided us. This is really a reflection of the outstanding job that our players, coaches and basketball staff have done the last two years. Now we need all of our focus to be on finishing this season the right way and giving our team the best chance to succeed down the stretch.”

Now in his second season at the helm of the Crimson Tide program, Oats has guided Alabama to a 17-5 overall record and a 12-1 mark in Southeastern Conference play. The Tide is currently ranked No. 8 in the latest Associated Press Top 25, which is its highest ranking in the AP Poll since the 2006-07 campaign. Furthermore, the last time Alabama was ranked in the AP Top 10 in mid-February came in 2002. Projected as a No. 2 seed in this year’s NCAA Tournament, which would match the highest seed in program history, the Crimson Tide is just two wins away from clinching the program’s first regular season title in 19 years. He has a record of 33-20 (.623) across his two years at the Capstone and a 20-11 (.645) mark against SEC competition.

Prior to coming to Alabama, Oats spent four seasons (2015-19) at the University at Buffalo where he led the Bulls to a 96-43 (.691) record, three MAC Tournament Championships and three NCAA Tournament appearances. He was named the league's Coach of The Year and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) District 14 Coach of the Year in back-to-back seasons (2018 and 2019) and finished fourth in the voting for the 2019 Associated Press Men's College Coach of the Year.

“We are thrilled to be able to announce a contract extension with our head men’s basketball coach Nate Oats,” said Byrne. “We had great expectations when we hired Coach Oats. He has exceeded those expectations, and we want to ensure he is compensated among the top half of the SEC. We have put buyout measures in place that show the long-term commitment between both parties. Coach Oats and his staff have built a comprehensive program that has maximized our student-athlete’s experience, significantly increased interest in Alabama Basketball with future recruits and put forward a product that has excited our fan base. Nate, Crystal and the Oats family have embraced our community and state and, in turn, our fans have embraced them. A special thanks goes to President Bell, Chancellor St. John and our Board of Trustees for their support in helping to get this extension done.”

“We are very proud of what our men’s basketball program has accomplished in just a short period of time under Coach Oats’ leadership,” said University of Alabama President Stuart R. Bell. “His emphasis on effort, continuous growth and selflessness has helped our student-athletes excel on the court, in the classroom and in the community. He has embraced the standard of excellence at The University of Alabama, and we are excited he will continue to lead our program for years to come.”

While appropriate members of The Board of Trustees have been notified of the proposed terms and conditions of the proposed contract extension, the financial terms remain subject to the approval by The Board of Trustees.

Hell yes

Reactions: terp john
I said at the beginning of the year that we needed to go ahead and give him a new and long contract.
Bama go Basketball no Baby !!! ROLL TIDE !!!

Reactions: terp john
USA Today data from last year he was at the bottom - Base Pay ONLY shown

RKSCHOOLCOACHSCHOOL PAY
1KentuckyJohn Calipari$8,000,000
2TennesseeRick Barnes$4,700,000
3Texas A&MBuzz Williams$3,843,182
4AuburnBruce Pearl$3,800,000
5GeorgiaTom Crean$3,200,000
6South CarolinaFrank Martin$3,050,000
7MissouriCuonzo Martin$2,900,000
8MississippiKermit Davis$2,850,000
9FloridaMichael White$2,414,000
10Mississippi StateBen Howland$2,550,000
11Louisiana StateWill Wade$2,500,000
12ArkansasEric Musselman$2,500,000
13AlabamaNate Oats$2,462,000
13Vanderbilt [Private] Jerry Stackhouse--

I know I'm in the minority here, but I wish this would have waited until after the season at least.

Maybe part of it is superstition, most of the time we see these extensions before the coach has really won anything, and the things go wrong.

I agree that he deserves a raise; paying your basketball coach the least amount of any SEC coach is embarrassing for a school like Alabama.

EDIT: I have one exception if other schools were using his success to tell recruits he would be leaving Alabama soon.

Last edited:
Great news! Makes me feel a LOT better about the future of BAMA BB, for a few years anyway.
Now get on the facility improvements.
Can't wait to see this team play again on Saturday!!

Reactions: xcop
I tend to agree with G.O.A.T. because the season could go down hill. On that same note, lets say Bama made a deep run in the tournament, the pay raise might have been more if he had waited until the season ended. I'm glad he got a pay raise and extension, but the raise was meager ($760k). At least make the raise an even million.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
I tend to agree with G.O.A.T. because the season could go down hill. On that same note, lets say Bama made a deep run in the tournament, the pay raise might have been more if he had waited until the season ended. I'm glad he got a pay raise and extension, but the raise was meager ($760k). At least make the raise an even million.
Not sure about your income bracket, but I'd be fine with a "meager" $760k raise.

Not sure about your income bracket, but I'd be fine with a "meager" $760k raise.
I would like to try to live in Tuscaloosa on his raise.... I don't think its all about the money to him. I can't help but think he remembers what he was making teaching high school math. If his family really likes Tuscaloosa he may be here forever. Especially if he has Grandchildren a few years from now. Momma is not leaving grand children.

The good thing about contracts is that they can always be modified.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I wish this would have waited until after the season at least.

Maybe part of it is superstition, most of the time we see these extensions before the coach has really won anything, and the things go wrong.

I agree that he deserves a raise; paying your basketball coach the least amount of any SEC coach is embarrassing for a school like Alabama.

EDIT: I have one exception if other schools were using his success to tell recruits he would be leaving Alabama soon.
My concern with waiting is the Michigan State situation. Coach Izzo is getting on up there in age and they are having a very bad season. I think that may have spurred the timing somewhat.

I can't believe the amount of posters that think what Byrne did was somehow the wrong thing to do or the timing wasn't right or it wasn't enough. Good grief we have some bitching ass members around here.

I'm glad that Byrne saw the need to do this and made something happen quickly and quietly. Maybe an arena can't happen tomorrow but pay for the head coach and assistants/staff can be managed today.

IMO its still a little low numbers wise but it at least tells Oats that we really want him to hang around so maybe if a blue blood officially comes calling we can step up again. It also tells other schools that the checkbook is open and we'll stroke what we need to keep him. I would have made his base pay a bit over what Pearl is getting and left it out there that there are some massive performance bonuses to be had if the team makes a deep run in the tournament. But this puts him in a place where if we do make that deep run and start next year with another great start we can up his pay again and not be starting from a low position.

I understand those wondering if the timing was right but from what I can gather reading between the lines there were two things in play that were about to force our hand anyway. A few have hinted that a big blue blood (or two) had been sniffing around to gauge interest. Cecil H. even went so far as to drop a not so veiled hint on his twitter that someone in the Tarheels camp had been asking around.

Then there is the angle with recruiting where 2022 kids get told "Oats is too good to stay at a football school like that so he won't be there when you get there".

My initial apprehension on the deal was quelled a bit by a good article from tos (with a print paper) that detailed Oats' high school roots and the efforts he put into growing his style and brand. To the point that hs bball coaches all over Mich watch all of his games to see what they can learn to add to what they learned from him in the past. This guy turned his classroom into a convenience store to make enough money for shooting machines. His 6am practices were apparently legendary in Mich. He went across the country a few times to learn how others are doing it and how he could do it better.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading most of that when we hired him but it was a good rehash with high school head coach quotes.

If nothing else the guy isn't afraid to work. So even if he has a misstep there's some comfort in knowing he will not stop working to fix it.

Why wait until after the season when coaches are getting fired/retiring and other jobs are opening up? The timing now is perfect IMO.

Reactions: xcop
I can't believe the amount of posters that think what Byrne did was somehow the wrong thing to do or the timing wasn't right or it wasn't enough. Good grief we have some bitching ass members around here.
Really there has only been myself who has voiced some concern over doing it now, BamaNavy agreed with me somewhat so really you could have just quoted me. There is also a difference between bitching about something and voicing my concern, if I was bitching I most definitely used a stronger stance than saying I "wish" it would have waited until after the season.

Why wait until after the season when coaches are getting fired/retiring and other jobs are opening up? The timing now is perfect IMO.
I get what you and @michael1965 is saying about locking him down before a school like Michigan St come calling. But if we are honest, if it was about the money Alabama can outbid anyone with the exception of maybe Texas and A&M, and Michigan. If a school like North Carolina or Duke ever come calling, the money would be a none factor because he is gone anyway.

Like I said, I know it's superstitious but the season is going great right now and we have all seen the contract extension come for some coaches and things go down hill from there. Hell, Bama gave Avery one after making the NCAA Tourney and fired him the next year. I don't want anything to sidetrack this season.

And there is also the Gus Malzahn/Charlie Weis factor. School jump on a giving these big extension before a coach has actually won anything of note worthiness and they never come close to living up to that contract. I will say he should have never been the lowest paid coach in the SEC to begin with, not at a school like Alabama.

I'm sure you would and so would I, but we're not coaching the Crimson Tide bb team. Quit being cheap and kick in the other $240k. 👍 :cool:👍

Really there has only been myself who has voiced some concern over doing it now, BamaNavy agreed with me somewhat so really you could have just quoted me. There is also a difference between bitching about something and voicing my concern, if I was bitching I most definitely used a stronger stance than saying I "wish" it would have waited until after the season.

I get what you and @michael1965 is saying about locking him down before a school like Michigan St come calling. But if we are honest, if it was about the money Alabama can outbid anyone with the exception of maybe Texas and A&M, and Michigan. If a school like North Carolina or Duke ever come calling, the money would be a none factor because he is gone anyway.

Like I said, I know it's superstitious but the season is going great right now and we have all seen the contract extension come for some coaches and things go down hill from there. Hell, Bama gave Avery one after making the NCAA Tourney and fired him the next year. I don't want anything to sidetrack this season.

And there is also the Gus Malzahn/Charlie Weis factor. School jump on a giving these big extension before a coach has actually won anything of note worthiness and they never come close to living up to that contract. I will say he should have never been the lowest paid coach in the SEC to begin with, not at a school like Alabama.
AMEN!

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Like I have said before goat and Bama Navy CPO, IF CNO and this team make a good run in the NCAA tournament then all the schools looking for a coach will have him on their list. Byrne locking him up now is smart business.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT