ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama / Jacksonville State Thoughts

BaselineLeaner4

All American
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2019
First off, thank the lord basketball is being played. This game could have fairly easily been postponed as it has really no winning to postseason play.

The Good:
  • Jahvon Quinerly - Jelly is simply smooth as it can get. His court vision is incredible, he isn't selfish and he can pass 10x better than Kira. We lose no production having JQ step in for Kira
  • Shack! MVP tonight. This dude wants to win. You can see his passion for the game on both sides of the court.
  • Turnovers - We only had 9 before the 2nd backups came in. Impressive with our style of play and so many new faces
  • Herb's free throw shooting - was 5-6 tonight. If he can shoot around 70-80% this year, that would be huge for our offense
  • Juwan Gary getting on the court - it's been a long time coming for him to get back onto the court
  • Rojas - I like his game. He can handle the ball for a big and shoot if needed. Much better option than Reese in my opinion
The OK:
  • Josh Primo - You can tell he is oozing with potential but seemed to be going through the motions tonight. Not going to read too much into it with it being the right game
  • Keon Ellis - This guy is a true team player. He is a nice passer and will play tough on Defense. He didn't shoot the ball 1 time tonight and that was disappointing considering the news around him being one of the better shooters on the team in camp.
  • John Petty - Did what he was supposed to tonight. Only 2-8 tonight from 3 but he will catch fire when we need him for tougher competition.
  • Jordan Bruner - It's hard for me to get a read on Bruner tonight. He wasn't very involved and I think I expected him to be a bit more athletic, maybe? He runs like Jimmie Taylor to me (Previous Alabama Center). Only 4 rebounds tonight after averaging almost 10 last year. I was expecting him to be all over the glass. Again, first game so we shall see.
  • Defense was pretty meehhh tonight. We are lucky we didn't play a better team or this game would be going down to the last minute
  • Rebounding. We did have 55 rebounds tonight we gave up a ton of offensive boards.
The Bad:
  • Herb Jones - I guess some things never change. Herb continues to play out of control when going to the rim and this is troubling. He was 2-10 from the field before throwing up that 3 that went in. He has to be smarter if we want a chance to be a top 3-4 team in the SEC. At this point, I'm not expecting him to be more efficient but Oats is going to have to figure out how to get herb under control.
  • Alex Reese - I'm over him. 0-4 tonight and made some boneheaded plays. Had more turnovers than rebounds and points combined. Hopefully he loses playing time as Rojas becomes more integrated into the system.
  • Shooting - We were 7-31 from 3 tonight - I'll chalk it up as first game nerves. It will be tough to beat top teams at that clip. I expect us to make closer to 12-13 3's a night as the season goes on.
  • Jacksonville State - they are horrible and could have a long season ahead.

All in all, basketball is back and we are undefeated! Sorry for the long post but my wife doesn't care about post-game talk. 😁

Last edited:
First off, thank the lord basketball is being played. This game could have fairly easily been postponed as it has really no winning to postseason play.

The Good:
  • Jahvon Quinerly - Jelly is simply smooth as it can get. His court vision is incredible, he isn't selfish and he can pass 10x better than Kira. We lose no production having JQ step in for Kira
  • Shack! MVP tonight. This dude wants to win. You can see his passion for the game on both sides of the court.
  • Turnovers - We only had 9 before the 2nd backups came in. Impressive with our style of play and so many new faces
  • Herb's free throw shooting - was 5-6 tonight. If he can shoot around 70-80% this year, that would be huge for our offense
  • Juwan Gary getting on the court - it's been a long time coming for him to get back onto the court
  • Rojas - I like his game. He can handle the ball for a big and shoot if needed. Much better option than Reese in my opinion
The OK:
  • Josh Primo - You can tell he is oozing with potential but seemed to be going through the motions tonight. Not going to read too much into it with it being the right game
  • Keon Ellis - This guy is a true team player. He is a nice passer and will play tough on Defense. He didn't shoot the ball 1 time tonight and that was disappointing considering the news around him being one of the better shooters on the team in camp.
  • John Petty - Did what he was supposed to tonight. Only 2-8 tonight from 3 but he will catch fire when we need him for tougher component
  • Jordan Bruner - It's hard for me to get a read on Bruner tonight. He wasn't very involved and I think I expected him to be a bit more athletic, maybe? He runs like Jimmie Taylor to me (Previous Alabama Center). Only 4 rebounds tonight after averaging almost 10 last year. I was expecting him to be all over the glass. Again, first game so we shall see.
  • Defense was pretty meehhh tonight. We are lucky we didn't play a better team or this game would be going down to the last minute
The Bad:
  • Herb Jones - I guess some things never change. Herb continues to play out of control when going to the rim and this is troubling. He was 2-10 from the field before throwing up that 3 that went in. He has to be smarter if we want a chance to be a top 3-4 team in the SEC. At this point, I'm not expecting him to be more efficient but Oats is going to have to figure out how to get herb under control.
  • Alex Reese - I'm over him. 0-4 tonight and made some boneheaded plays. Had more turnovers than rebounds and points combined. Hopefully he loses playing time as Rojas becomes more integrated into the system.
  • Shooting - We were 7-31 from 3 tonight - I'll chalk it up as first game nerves. It will be tough to beat top teams at that clip. I expect us to make closer to 12-13 3's a night as the season goes on.

All in all, basketball is back and we are undefeated! Sorry for the long post but my wife doesn't care about post-game talk. 😁

Would have loved to see more of Gary , He looks more athletic than Bruner . And yes he did look Jimmie Taylor like , just didn’t seem involved and just did not live up to the hype I have heard about him . That was the one of the biggest disappointments to me... along with the defense and our shooting . I believe we just had a bad night shooting . But the defense needs some serious attention .

Yeah kind of done with Herb shooting being good. Heard this a little last year too, but he just doesn't have a good touch when taking it to the rim and/or just shooting. I'm ok with him being our defender and coming through when needed. As for the rest of them it wasn't pretty, but game 1. Looking forward to the next one on Monday.

Reactions: BaselineLeaner4
You guys seem to forget that Herb started off last season the same way and then just before his injury he was balling out getting to the rim. That is his game and you might as well accept it because CNO has. The main issue tonight IMO is the team got too caught up with their need to bomb 3's. I get that threes are important for this team but this team got a little carried away and forgot to take what JSU was giving them. Not worried at all.

The Good:
The OK:
  • John Petty - Did what he was supposed to tonight. Only 2-8 tonight from 3 but he will catch fire when we need him for tougher competition.
  • Rebounding. We did have 55 rebounds tonight we gave up a ton of offensive boards.
The Bad:

Agree on most points, but I was pleased with Bruner. His outside shots didn’t have much touch, but he is solidly put together and moved pretty well to me...particularly on defense. (I actually liked JT more than most, but he was really slow footed...just don’t see that comparison)

Rojas isn’t flashy but he plays hard and has a good body to bang around. I was also pleased to see Ambrose has continued to fill out...he is well put together for a freshman. IMO Reese is going to have his work cut out to get more than deep rotation minutes.

Overall, the biggest question mark I had coming into the year, replacing Kira at PG, was answered very well. Q looked really good.

After watching UK the game before it still seems like Bama has a gap to close, but it is closer than it has been in a while and if Bama shoots better, then they will give anyone fits.

The Maui invitational will be a real measuring stick...Stanford, Indiana, Texas and UNC are all expected to be good teams out of major conferences. We will see on Monday if Bama is ready to be one too.

I personally thought that the defense has vastly improved over last year. The added length on the floor showed on multiple occasions tonight. Overall i thought the defense played a pretty decent game.

Reactions: pfaud001 and xcop
I get the criticism of Herb's offense, but we are a much better team when he is on the floor. I agree he gets out of control around the basket at times, but his defense, rebounding and hustle more than make up for the deficiencies. Great to see him make the 3.

I thought Rojas showed toughness and played the 5 at times. Gary is going to add nice depth down low.

Shack and Quinerly were superb. You can tell Primo is going to be a great player but he looks 16 years old. Going to be growing pains while he gets used to this level of competition.

Agree on most points, but I was pleased with Bruner. His outside shots didn’t have much touch, but he is solidly put together and moved pretty well to me...particularly on defense. (I actually liked JT more than most, but he was really slow footed...just don’t see that comparison)

Rojas isn’t flashy but he plays hard and has a good body to bang around. I was also pleased to see Ambrose has continued to fill out...he is well put together for a freshman. IMO Reese is going to have his work cut out to get more than deep rotation minutes.

Overall, the biggest question mark I had coming into the year, replacing Kira at PG, was answered very well. Q looked really good.

After watching UK the game before it still seems like Bama has a gap to close, but it is closer than it has been in a while and if Bama shoots better, then they will give anyone fits.

The Maui invitational will be a real measuring stick...Stanford, Indiana, Texas and UNC are all expected to be good teams out of major conferences. We will see on Monday if Bama is ready to be one too.
He didn’t get to play much, but seeing Gary live he looks physically bigger than I remember him looking in his highlights. Very nice length too. He has a nice BB body.

Too early to nit pick, but I thought we did pretty well with no scrimmage season and this being the first game! There were a lot of combos being put on the floor to see what combinations are able to compliment one another. Offensive rebounding needs some work, overall I give the team a B. They still have good intensity on both ends.

Reactions: pfaud001

The Good:
The OK:
The Bad:

Bruner looked like it was hurting him to run. Herb is Herb on offense. He should just shoot the open 3 or try to dunk on people. I don’t think he will ever be a decent finisher.

Reactions: BaselineLeaner4
I get the criticism of Herb's offense, but we are a much better team when he is on the floor. I agree he gets out of control around the basket at times, but his defense, rebounding and hustle more than make up for the deficiencies. Great to see him make the 3.

I thought Rojas showed toughness and played the 5 at times. Gary is going to add nice depth down low.

Shack and Quinerly were superb. You can tell Primo is going to be a great player but he looks 16 years old. Going to be growing pains while he gets used to this level of competition.
i agree with every thing you said. several people have said shack might not be a starter, but he is a darn good basketball plyer. Q answered my questions about him

we are a MUCH better team with herb on the floor. rojas looked good. still not as high on bruner as most others, but he may turn out to be better than i thought. time will tell

i agree with every thing you said. several people have said shack might not be a starter, but he is a darn good basketball plyer. Q answered my questions about him

we are a MUCH better team with herb on the floor. rojas looked good. still not as high on bruner as most others, but he may turn out to be better than i thought. time will tell
Bruner played okay and we’ll need him all year. But, I agree I’m definitely not too high on him. You can’t convince me Davis would not have done more against that team.

The Good:
The OK:
The Bad:

Take it easy being so critical of my alma mater ( Jax State). Ray Harper is a good coach and they have 11 new players this year. Rebound well and play hard. Shooting was bad for sure.

Reactions: bet9
For our first game, everything looked OK except 3pt %, Defense was good with great effort, rebounding was solid but should get better. we need to work on the turnovers especially with some of the newcomers.
We will definitely find out where we are playing in the Maui Invitational.
Roll Tide

davis got 3 points last night and was 1 of 8 from the free throw line.
Free throw line was brutal for him, but he also got 7 boards and his free throws attempts show how active he was. Bruner had 4 points against Jax St. and one of those baskets was a tip in from the opposing player. Davis was matched up against very talented bigs at Clemson.

davis got 3 points last night and was 1 of 8 from the free throw line.

IMO, Davis isn’t a bad player (he actually has a nice offensive game at times*), but he isn’t a 3pt threat and isn’t a very good defender, both of which are problems in Oats’ scheme.

Despite three bricks from outside last night, Bruner has shot decently (not well) from outside on legitimate volume in the past and anticipates on defense significantly better. He may not ever be Ben Wallace as an athlete, but if provides back line rim protection and keeps the space on the floor (to do that we can’t keep seeing 0-3 bricks) on offense then he will play a lot.

*although Davis was 1-6 from the field last night

We have a lot of season left. Figuring out the rotation and players roles will take some time. I sure hope we shoot better next week. RTR
We sure better shoot better than that! Sorry, but that was a brutal shooting performance. Plus, we took a lot of “bad” shots that we shouldn’t have forced while not open behind the arc. For a team who’s offensive philosophy is built upon being a good shooting team, last night did not show that.

IMO, Davis isn’t a bad player (he actually has a nice inside game at times), but he isn’t a 3pt threat and isn’t a very good defender, both of which are problems in Oats’ scheme.

Despite three bricks from outside last night, Bruner has shot decently (not well) from outside on legitimate volume in the past and anticipates on defense significantly better. He may not ever be Ben Wallace as an athlete, but if provides back line rim protection and keeps the space on the floor on offense then he will play a lot.
rojas is better than davis. bediako is probally going to be here next year. davis would have got recruited over if not already by bruner.

Reactions: xcop
It was also great to see Gary be able to play. I echo what Codie said about his nice BB build. Think he is going to give us good inside presence when he gets fully back. He and Rojas inside is encouraging.

A player I am intrigued with is Miles. He missed this only 3 attempt but nice stoke. Interesting that the commentator said Oats told them Miles had 36 in a recent scrimmage.

I just enjoyed watching these guys hustle and looked like a very competitive team in spite of the ball not dropping in from three as much as desired. 2 years ago I couldn’t stomach watching the ineptitude of the team, standing around, not hustling, and would quickly turn the channel from the game. Oats has turned the Tide into an exciting and competitive team. Looking forward to hopefully a season (COVID).

You guys seem to forget that Herb started off last season the same way and then just before his injury he was balling out getting to the rim. That is his game and you might as well accept it because CNO has. The main issue tonight IMO is the team got too caught up with their need to bomb 3's. I get that threes are important for this team but this team got a little carried away and forgot to take what JSU was giving them. Not worried at all.

I think everyone knows that herb is a great player but he is the most limited player we have on offense and that hurts us at times.

Balling out at the rim is a very bold statement. He improved but in no way balled out in my opinion.

Free throw line was brutal for him, but he also got 7 boards and his free throws attempts show how active he was. Bruner had 4 points against Jax St. and one of those baskets was a tip in from the opposing player. Davis was matched up against very talented bigs at Clemson.
I love that you've chosen this hill lol. I appreciate you sticking with it. I hope you turn out incorrect but until I see it I'm not convinced you're wrong. I look for Bruner to have his games and share of winning plays. I certainly am rooting for Javian and Galin,

I love that you've chosen this hill lol. I appreciate you sticking with it. I hope you turn out incorrect but until I see it I'm not convinced you're wrong. I look for Bruner to have his games and share of winning plays. I certainly am rooting for Javian and Galin,
Haha!! I don’t know why I’ve chosen this particular hill. I just grow weary of all the hype of players who’ve never played for us. Happens every year. I hope I’m wrong too.

Haha!! I don’t know why I’ve chosen this particular hill. I just grow weary of all the hype of players who’ve never played for us. Happens every year. I hope I’m wrong too.

IMO we’ve seen guys hyped on the boards before that were not hyped by anyone else in the legitimate media, but that isn’t the case with Bruner.

Bruner was an all conference starter on an NCAA tournament team that almost downed 4 seed LSU on the back of his play. So long as he is healthy I expect Bruner will solidify our 5 position and that is a big deal for a position that was not getting it done last year.

After his injuries, I don’t expect him to be an NBA player, nor carry the team, but he is no Michael Kessens.

Reactions: xcop and Sweetlou10
IMO we’ve seen guys hyped on the boards before that were not hyped by anyone else in the legitimate media, but that isn’t the case with Bruner.

Bruner was an all conference starter on an NCAA tournament team that almost downed 4 seed LSU on the back of his play. So long as he is healthy I expect Bruner will solidify our 5 position and that is a big deal for a position that was not getting it done last year.

After his injuries, I don’t expect him to be an NBA player, nor carry the team, but he is no Michael Kessens.
There is definitely more substance to the Bruner hype than some others. Point well taken. I hope I’m wrong about him.

Balling out at the rim is a very bold statement. He improved but in no way balled out in my opinion.
Fair enough but in the first 9 games last season (When everybody was blasting him) he averaged 7.5 pts per game against the likes of Penn, Rhode island, SF Austin, etc. Over the next nine games (Most of which was conference play) he nearly doubled his production to 12.5 pts per game. May not be the 20 ppg that people expect of him but nothing to sneeze at either.

Reactions: pfaud001
ADVERTISEMENT