ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama overcomes 15 point 2nd half deficit to stun the Vols 73-68

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
WHAT. A. GAME! Alabama struggled early and Tennessee couldn't miss in the first half and Alabama was down double digits most of the first half. Jahvon Quinerly was robbed of the 6th man of the year and showed out these first two games scoring 19 points today to fuel the comeback. Herbert Jones finished with 20 points 13 rebounds 4 assists 3 steals and a block, but let's bench him right?! Tennessee was doing whatever they wanted to offensively to start the game and that was because they got to the free throw line and was hitting the pull-up in traffic the whole time. Throw in a couple of prayer threes and it was a perfect storm for Tennessee early. Alabama's comeback was fueled by defense forcing UT to turn it over 12 times in the 2nd half and kept the pressure on. Tennessee cooled down when Alabama pressed up on them and couldn't hit the tough shots. Alabama also dominated the paint as they typically do outscoring UT 36-26 in the paint holding Pons to 7 points and only getting 2 blocks. This team is so resilient and will never give up no matter how bad things get and its a breathe of fresh air to see. Their offense is good enough to run teams out of the gym and their defense is good enough to keep the team in the game until the offense can get going. What are always crucial at the end of close games? Free Throws. Alabama was 16/19 and Jahvon/Keon Ellis went 4/4 with under 15 seconds left to ice the game for the Tide. Im sweating and so excited to finally get to see Alabama play in an SEC Championship game in the first time in 19 years. This has the feel of a elite eight/final four season.

Alabama will face the winner of Arkansas/LSU tomorrow and I personally would love to play LSU. They play fast, do not play defense, and take a lot of bad shots. Alabama destroyed them both times they faced them this season and Arkansas is playing as good as any team in the country right now. It'll be an interesting game between the two today and one Bama fans should keep a close eye on.

Great win today for sure. Early on when Shack got a cheap second foul and they were making some wild shots I was sure this just wasn't our day. All the elements were there for us to lose. Petty couldn't hit anything, Shack literally offered nothing, Ellis was invisible, Reese and Rojas were their usual selves, and Tenn looked like a machine the way they were getting open from 10ft and making the shot.

The effort never let up though and they played defense at an intensity level not seen in a Bama uniform since guys like Horry and Sprewell were playing in T-Town. We were so geeked up on D that about every other turnover we caused we rushed too much and gave it right back to Tenn. Was about to rip my hair out when we would slap the ball loose and immediately try to force a 40ft pass that had no chance of getting to a Bama player.

The question now is which Bama team shows up tomorrow. We won't beat either Ark or LSU with just defense and toughness.

Seriously, you have to assume something like a 15 point loss if you knew before the game that Shackelford and Petty would combine for 3-13 from 3 point and Shack would miss most of the game and not offer much when he was playing.

Arky would be a sweeter win but I'm pulling for lsu just bc I think we destroy them again.

Seriously, you have to assume something like a 15 point loss if you knew before the game that Shackelford and Petty would combine for 3-13 from 3 point and Shack would miss most of the game and not offer much when he was playing.
Given that info pregame I would expect an L for sure.

I really felt good at the half being down by 9. A couple of things here or a couple of things there can change the complexion of the game. I knew that we had played our worst in 1st half and they had probably played their best.

I understand why some fans and posters don't enter the game threads. It's like a gathering hormonal middle schoolers over-reacting to the ebb and flow of the game which is constant in basketball. When Rojas is no longer around to be the "proverbial" whipping boy, I don't know what some will do with their stress! LOL!

Ellis wasn’t invisible. He was one of the best defensive players of the game for Alabama

I was referring to offensive production. Prior to his late three point shot Ellis had 2 free throws made at around 8 minutes to go in the game. Shack drew some key fouls in the second half and was on the guy that missed the last shot by Tenn but on offense he had his worst game maybe ever.

I thought Ellis and Gary were part of the reason that we won! Key minutes for both!

Gary only played 11 minutes. He didn't seem to be doing bad in the first half but I can only assume the coaches didn't think he could do much for us when we couldn't put 4 shooters on the floor with him.

Gary only played 11 minutes. He didn't seem to be doing bad in the first half but I can only assume the coaches didn't think he could do much for us when we couldn't put 4 shooters on the floor with him.

They didn't detract and really provided some good defense, which turned into some offense on the other end.

To tell you the truth, you really only 3 players of the five out there putting the ball in the basket. If you have two people out there that can handle the rock and dish, all you need is everyone playing defense. I think I only really saw one stupid foul between the newbies and that was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reese even came in and got a couple of key baskets in the comeback. He actually played better than he has been playing for a month.
Yes sir. Here’s a question: tie game in the final 4 and they just isolated their PF against one of our bigs in the paint. Who do you want playing. Defense: Reese or Bruner. Easy for me... it’s Reese. Came up with a game saving block late.

JQ is getting better every game also! And I tend to be his biggest critic! :)

Yes sir. Here’s a question: tie game in the final 4 and they just isolated their PF against one of our bigs in the paint. Who do you want playing. Defense: Reese or Bruner. Easy for me... it’s Reese. Came up with a game saving block late.
Reese has more muscle and meet than Bruner so I’d definitely put him or Gary on another teams big in crunch time

Looks like it’s LSU...I gave them no shot against the Hogs today. Glad I don’t gamble :)

Reactions: nolans1
WHAT. A. GAME! Alabama struggled early and Tennessee couldn't miss in the first half and Alabama was down double digits most of the first half. Jahvon Quinerly was robbed of the 6th man of the year and showed out these first two games scoring 19 points today to fuel the comeback. Herbert Jones finished with 20 points 13 rebounds 4 assists 3 steals and a block, but let's bench him right?! Tennessee was doing whatever they wanted to offensively to start the game and that was because they got to the free throw line and was hitting the pull-up in traffic the whole time. Throw in a couple of prayer threes and it was a perfect storm for Tennessee early. Alabama's comeback was fueled by defense forcing UT to turn it over 12 times in the 2nd half and kept the pressure on. Tennessee cooled down when Alabama pressed up on them and couldn't hit the tough shots. Alabama also dominated the paint as they typically do outscoring UT 36-26 in the paint holding Pons to 7 points and only getting 2 blocks. This team is so resilient and will never give up no matter how bad things get and its a breathe of fresh air to see. Their offense is good enough to run teams out of the gym and their defense is good enough to keep the team in the game until the offense can get going. What are always crucial at the end of close games? Free Throws. Alabama was 16/19 and Jahvon/Keon Ellis went 4/4 with under 15 seconds left to ice the game for the Tide. Im sweating and so excited to finally get to see Alabama play in an SEC Championship game in the first time in 19 years. This has the feel of a elite eight/final four season.

Alabama will face the winner of Arkansas/LSU tomorrow and I personally would love to play LSU. They play fast, do not play defense, and take a lot of bad shots. Alabama destroyed them both times they faced them this season and Arkansas is playing as good as any team in the country right now. It'll be an interesting game between the two today and one Bama fans should keep a close eye on.

I'm just guessing Harper and trying to read between the lines, you were fairly pleased with our effort today? :)

I love this team's toughness and resilience. And we're still not shooting well from the arc. Get pumped thinking about it.

Reactions: oslim
ADVERTISEMENT