ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Recruiting and Next Year's Roster Prediction

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Alabama's season ended on a sour note losing a tough, close game to UCLA in the Sweet Sixteen. I have already posted my post game thread and will not get into the game or comment on it ITT as I have lived the 24 hour rule and will now look towards next season. Alabama will have a terrific team next season with arguably more talent than this year's team. Alabama will lose 4 seniors off this team, two which are starters and All-SEC players (Herb and Petty), as well as role players Jordan Bruner and Alex Reese. Bruner was making a tremendous impact this season before injuring his knee and having to have surgery. After the surgery he wasn't the same and played sparingly in the tournament because he could not move well. Alex Reese was a guy that gave his effort every game whether he played 10 minutes or 30, he busted his tail for this team. He hit a shot that will always be remembered sending Alabama into OT against UCLA and played great the first two games of the NCAA Tournament. If we are talking impact players, Alabama is losing two of those guys in Petty and Herb.

Recruiting:
Alabama currently has the #14 recruiting class in the country according to Rivals, but I believe Alabama will finish in the top 10 before it's all said and done. Let's take a look at who is already committed. #13 player and 5 star JD Davison is the crown jewel of this class as Alabama beat out LSU and Auburn for his commitment as Antoine Pettway's relationship with JD won in the end. JD is a 6'3 Derrick Rose/Russell Westbrook type of player athletically at the point guard position. He is an elite passer, average shooter, but can finish at the rim better than any PG I have seen in recent years. He is a program changing player similar to Collin Sexton, except JD may be here for more than one season which would be incredible. The next signee is Langston Wilson, the #2 JUCO player in the country out of Georgia is a 6'9 220 lb forward that has elite athleticism and finishing ability. If you don't believe me then just watch his highlights. He will likely factor in as a key role player in the front court similar to what Keon Ellis contributed this past season. Jusuan Holt is the final signee of this class....so far. Holt is a 6'6 forward who is a shooter that can develop into great role player and possible starter in 2-3 years. He will likely take a year to get bigger and used to the college game, but he will develop into a solid shooter and facilitator.

The guys that Alabama are after, in recruiting and transfer portal, are two very familiar names. The first one is Charles Bediako, who is a top 30 player in the country and 6'11 220lb big man that controls the paint. He is not very athletic, he is not fast for a big guy, but he understands his body and how to use it to score and rebound. He has the ability to step out and shoot, but he definitely has to develop that part of his game to unlock the next level of his potential. He is a guy I could see averaging 15 points/10 rebounds by his junior or senior season. The other name is Nimari Burnett, who was a top 30 player in 2019 and was going to choose Alabama up until the week of his commitment date where he chose Texas Tech. It was a surprise move that, if you remember, I was very shocked because I had Alabama landing Burnett for a long time. Now, Alabama has the opportunity to land him again. He entered the transfer portal nearly 1/4 of the way through the season due to playing time. He has set a commitment date for April 9th and all signs are pointing towards him picking Alabama, but we all have been there before with him. I think this time around will be different. He fits like a glove in Alabama's system, because he is a 6'4 guard who can shoot, pass, dribble, and defend with his length. He would be a significant addition. Another guy that Alabama has reached out to in transfer portal is Myreon Jones, the former PG from Penn State who averaged 15 ppg, originally from Birmingham. There is a chance Alabama takes him, but landing him and Burnett would require two players to transfer, and I will get to that in a moment.

Next Year's Roster:
Alabama returns plenty of talent from this past year's squad. Here's the returning roster:
Jahvon Quinerly
Jaden Shackelford
Keon Ellis
Joshua Primo
Juwan Gary
James Rojas
Darius Miles
Keon Ambrose
Alex Tchikou

Of those 9 guys coming back, 5 played significant minutes this season with Tchikou predicted to play significant minutes before his injury. Plenty of experience coming back, including five guys capable of scoring double digits every game (JQ, Shack, Primo, Ellis, Gary). Alex Tchikou is a huge question mark, because he is a Kevin Durant style player who can dribble, pass, and shoot at 6'11, but he is bigger than KD. If he can average 10-11 points while stretching the floor, that would be huge for this team to have that kind of addition. JQ, Primo, and Shackelford will all likely average double digit scoring next season barring injury, so adding someone like Tchikou that could average 10-11 or one of Ellis/Gary/Davison average double figures will be best case. With Herb and Petty, they had the ball in their hands a lot which stopped the ball movement far to often. Next year's squad will have a lot of guys that can share the ball, but can also create their own shot. Now, with the possible additions of Nimari Burnett and Charles Bediako, one of these players will have to transfer. All signs point towards James Rojas, who saw his minutes dwindle down the stretch of the season and into the tournament. Could someone else transfer if Myreon Jones decided to come along with those 2? Sure, but I won't get into that could possibly be until it looks like that will happen.

Next year's team looks to be extremely talented and more suited for Nate Oat's style of play overall than this past seasons team. If they land the players I mentioned, then Alabama will be a top 3 team in the SEC once again and a preseason top 25 team.

Awesome post, Harper. Question: Why is there zero discussion of the remote possibility of a senior coming back? If there’s no chance of any of them coming back, my question would be “why?” This free year of eligibility is an absolute gift that no other class has ever gotten in the NCAA. If I were a fringe second round draft pick id see it as an opportunity to work my way up. If I were a guy like Reese I’d see it as a Chance to extend the best years of my life playing college ball for free.

Awesome post, Harper. Question: Why is there zero discussion of the remote possibility of a senior coming back? If there’s no chance of any of them coming back, my question would be “why?” This free year of eligibility is an absolute gift that no other class has ever gotten in the NCAA. If I were a fringe second round draft pick id see it as an opportunity to work my way up. If I were a guy like Reese I’d see it as a Chance to extend the best years of my life playing college ball for free.
I foresee 98% of all seniors that can graduate and move on will do so throughout the country. In Alabama's regard, Herbert Jones and John Petty are 23 years old, one has a family, and they are likely ready to begin life after college. Neither will become first round draft picks even if they came back, so whether they are drafted in the first round or second round they are likely ready to get paid to play and start their lives. Reese won't play anywhere but overseas, so he is likely ready to pursue professional opportunities. Jordan Bruner already has two degrees so there is no point in him returning. You'll see a handful of seniors throughout the country take advantage of the opportunity, but it will take unique circumstances with the roster and the player.

Alabama's season ended on a sour note losing a tough, close game to UCLA in the Sweet Sixteen. I have already posted my post game thread and will not get into the game or comment on it ITT as I have lived the 24 hour rule and will now look towards next season. Alabama will have a terrific team next season with arguably more talent than this year's team. Alabama will lose 4 seniors off this team, two which are starters and All-SEC players (Herb and Petty), as well as role players Jordan Bruner and Alex Reese. Bruner was making a tremendous impact this season before injuring his knee and having to have surgery. After the surgery he wasn't the same and played sparingly in the tournament because he could not move well. Alex Reese was a guy that gave his effort every game whether he played 10 minutes or 30, he busted his tail for this team. He hit a shot that will always be remembered sending Alabama into OT against UCLA and played great the first two games of the NCAA Tournament. If we are talking impact players, Alabama is losing two of those guys in Petty and Herb.

Recruiting:
Alabama currently has the #14 recruiting class in the country according to Rivals, but I believe Alabama will finish in the top 10 before it's all said and done. Let's take a look at who is already committed. #13 player and 5 star JD Davison is the crown jewel of this class as Alabama beat out LSU and Auburn for his commitment as Antoine Pettway's relationship with JD won in the end. JD is a 6'3 Derrick Rose/Russell Westbrook type of player athletically at the point guard position. He is an elite passer, average shooter, but can finish at the rim better than any PG I have seen in recent years. He is a program changing player similar to Collin Sexton, except JD may be here for more than one season which would be incredible. The next signee is Langston Wilson, the #2 JUCO player in the country out of Georgia is a 6'9 220 lb forward that has elite athleticism and finishing ability. If you don't believe me then just watch his highlights. He will likely factor in as a key role player in the front court similar to what Keon Ellis contributed this past season. Jusuan Holt is the final signee of this class....so far. Holt is a 6'6 forward who is a shooter that can develop into great role player and possible starter in 2-3 years. He will likely take a year to get bigger and used to the college game, but he will develop into a solid shooter and facilitator.

The guys that Alabama are after, in recruiting and transfer portal, are two very familiar names. The first one is Charles Bediako, who is a top 30 player in the country and 6'11 220lb big man that controls the paint. He is not very athletic, he is not fast for a big guy, but he understands his body and how to use it to score and rebound. He has the ability to step out and shoot, but he definitely has to develop that part of his game to unlock the next level of his potential. He is a guy I could see averaging 15 points/10 rebounds by his junior or senior season. The other name is Nimari Burnett, who was a top 30 player in 2019 and was going to choose Alabama up until the week of his commitment date where he chose Texas Tech. It was a surprise move that, if you remember, I was very shocked because I had Alabama landing Burnett for a long time. Now, Alabama has the opportunity to land him again. He entered the transfer portal nearly 1/4 of the way through the season due to playing time. He has set a commitment date for April 9th and all signs are pointing towards him picking Alabama, but we all have been there before with him. I think this time around will be different. He fits like a glove in Alabama's system, because he is a 6'4 guard who can shoot, pass, dribble, and defend with his length. He would be a significant addition. Another guy that Alabama has reached out to in transfer portal is Myreon Jones, the former PG from Penn State who averaged 15 ppg, originally from Birmingham. There is a chance Alabama takes him, but landing him and Burnett would require two players to transfer, and I will get to that in a moment.

Next Year's Roster:
Alabama returns plenty of talent from this past year's squad. Here's the returning roster:
Jahvon Quinerly
Jaden Shackelford
Keon Ellis
Joshua Primo
Juwan Gary
James Rojas
Darius Miles
Keon Ambrose
Alex Tchikou

Of those 9 guys coming back, 5 played significant minutes this season with Tchikou predicted to play significant minutes before his injury. Plenty of experience coming back, including five guys capable of scoring double digits every game (JQ, Shack, Primo, Ellis, Gary). Alex Tchikou is a huge question mark, because he is a Kevin Durant style player who can dribble, pass, and shoot at 6'11, but he is bigger than KD. If he can average 10-11 points while stretching the floor, that would be huge for this team to have that kind of addition. JQ, Primo, and Shackelford will all likely average double digit scoring next season barring injury, so adding someone like Tchikou that could average 10-11 or one of Ellis/Gary/Davison average double figures will be best case. With Herb and Petty, they had the ball in their hands a lot which stopped the ball movement far to often. Next year's squad will have a lot of guys that can share the ball, but can also create their own shot. Now, with the possible additions of Nimari Burnett and Charles Bediako, one of these players will have to transfer. All signs point towards James Rojas, who saw his minutes dwindle down the stretch of the season and into the tournament. Could someone else transfer if Myreon Jones decided to come along with those 2? Sure, but I won't get into that could possibly be until it looks like that will happen.

Next year's team looks to be extremely talented and more suited for Nate Oat's style of play overall than this past seasons team. If they land the players I mentioned, then Alabama will be a top 3 team in the SEC once again and a preseason top 25 team.
I think next years team will be more talented and complete than this years team. JQ, Primo, and Ellis will be stars next year on the perimeter to go along with Shack returning. Add Davidson and Burnett that gives us 6 guys to rotate at the 1-3 positions. Replacing Herb will be tough at the 4 position but Gary is a tough dude and I think Darius Miles will make an impact there also. The biggest upgrade for me will be at the 5 position. Bruner and Reese gave the team everything they had but Tchikou and Bediako or Ambrose will be a significant upgrade for the team. The biggest question will be if the unity of the team and the leadership that this year’s team obviously had can be the same for next year. Exciting times for Bama Hoops!

Great read Harper. Its been 30 years since I have felt this anxious / look forward to next season to begin. Felt kind of like the 80's again under Wimp.
Oats will take Bama further in a couple years. Maybe even next season.

Not to bash on any of these seniors @Harper41, but if an 18 year old Petty or Jones were about to graduate high school would Nate Oats recruit either of them?

Petty was a 5 star and herb was a top 100 player, both from in state. He would absolutely recruit those guys
Maybe. Maybe not. I'll be interested to see in year 3-4 what high school kids he offers.

Petty was a 5 star and herb was a top 100 player, both from in state. He would absolutely recruit those guys

I think it's a good question, actually. I think Petty definitely, but as a high school player, I don't think Herb was known for his 3 point shooting and for finishing well at the rim. I think he was a clear take for CAJ because of size, big-guard skills, and his lockdown defensive ability. So, for those reasons, I'm not sure he would fit CNO's system, and that he would have been offered. That said, I am beyond grateful that Herb decided to spend his four years with us, and for all the contributions (including toughness and leadership) he made to this team.

Last edited:

Recruiting:

Next Year's Roster:
Jahvon Quinerly
Jaden Shackelford
Keon Ellis
Joshua Primo
Juwan Gary
James Rojas
Darius Miles
Keon Ambrose
Alex Tchikou

This might be your finest work yet!

Thanks

Harper, great info, and I agree next years team will be more efficient and we will average less turnovers then this team.
About Herb and John P, if CNO had recruited them out of high school, they would be much different players than what they were this year and last.

Harper, great info, and I agree next years team will be more efficient and we will average less turnovers then this team.
About Herb and John P, if CNO had recruited them out of high school, they would be much different players than what they were this year and last.
Interesting, but I didn't speculate Oats could recruit anybody and mold them into what he wants. I wondered if after his team is comprised of his type of players would he recruit Petty and Jones based on their 18 year old talent level? Just because Hoover has a 6'10" 280 pound phenom next year who plays with his back to the basket, shoots 58% from the free throw line, and 20% from three it doesn't mean Oats would recruit him.

Not to bash on any of these seniors @Harper41, but if an 18 year old Petty or Jones were about to graduate high school would Nate Oats recruit either of them?
Petty would definitely been one he would have recruited. He was a huge get and would have been the star of the class had Sexton decided to not to commit. Herb is a better question. Avery slowed played him and came back to him after he missed out on some other kids. I am glad both played here. I can’t wait to see what is next for them.

Recruiting:

Next Year's Roster:
Jahvon Quinerly
Jaden Shackelford
Keon Ellis
Joshua Primo
Juwan Gary
James Rojas
Darius Miles
Keon Ambrose
Alex Tchikou

What's your breakdown of Miles? He seems to be another athletic wing. Think he could make a contribution?

Reactions: bet9 and RollTide15

Recruiting:

Next Year's Roster:
Jahvon Quinerly
Jaden Shackelford
Keon Ellis
Joshua Primo
Juwan Gary
James Rojas
Darius Miles
Keon Ambrose
Alex Tchikou

Herb and petty stopping ball movement too often. Absolutely. Our achilles heel was the ball sticking, especially with herb Jones. Our offense kicking it around with fluidity for the best shot is a great thing. Looking forward to a better version of that next season. Stay on track defensively and find guys to get herb's boards and hustle plays. Offensively I think the upward trend continues. Hope the handful you mention can fill those gaps in our lineup for the better. Seems like there's some promising profiles for both depth and points from bigs, which we've sorely lacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: adsmith4 and bet9
Herb and petty stopping ball movement too often. Absolutely. Our achilles heel was the ball sticking, especially with herb Jones. Our offense kicking it around with fluidity for the best shot is a great thing. Looking forward to a better version of that next season. Stay on track defensively and find guys to get herb's boards and hustle plays. Offensively I think the upward trend continues.
TOs came in bunches with those guys. It looked like Petty ball handling regressed this year. JD Davidson is gonna go crazy in Oats system.

Reactions: bet9
I’d say he would want Petty without a doubt. I’m not convinced he’d want Herb.

Reactions: frazor
Honestly i hope Rojas is the only one that transfers! Even if that mean we only get Bediako and the Texas Tech transfer! That team should be 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Reactions: rt5412 and bet9
What's your breakdown of Miles? He seems to be another athletic wing. Think he could make a contribution?
He will likely make an impact in his Junior or senior year. He has a lot of growing to do, both physically and on his game. He has looked pretty solid against other teams backups, but when he has played against actual talent in games he has really struggled. He just needs to get bigger and mature more, but I think he will make an impact eventually if he hangs around

I think next years team will be more talented and complete than this years team. JQ, Primo, and Ellis will be stars next year on the perimeter to go along with Shack returning. Add Davidson and Burnett that gives us 6 guys to rotate at the 1-3 positions. Replacing Herb will be tough at the 4 position but Gary is a tough dude and I think Darius Miles will make an impact there also. The biggest upgrade for me will be at the 5 position. Bruner and Reese gave the team everything they had but Tchikou and Bediako or Ambrose will be a significant upgrade for the team. The biggest question will be if the unity of the team and the leadership that this year’s team obviously had can be the same for next year. Exciting times for Bama Hoops!
I think the leadership will come from JQ and Gary. These guys are older and obviously want to work hard and win. They can insist that others follow their lead. Shak may well be one of those as well. I think next years chemistry will come together quicker than this years did. RTR

Reactions: bet9 and EugDan
Nice wrap on this Harp. After watching Michigan drop the game to UCLA I am sick at my stomach this morning knowing we had a golden opportunity to get to the Final 4 and simply blew it rather than being outplayed. It will take more than the 24-hour rule for me to get over that, but still so proud of what this year's team did and the optimism they have given Bama basketball.

As far as recruiting it is amazing how fast Oats has us recruiting at a top-10 level. Last offseason it seems like we started picking off every guy we wanted once word got out how we play now. Bruner was the guy everyone wanted. Keon had a long offer sheet. Then Frenchy came along late in the process and we beat out a lot of big programs for him as well. Burnett felt like the biggest miss and now we have a shot at him again. Beating out All-Barn and LSU for Davison also says a lot about the perception of Bama basketball as an exciting program that is going to be a power for years to come.

I tend to think that class of 2017 (Sexton, Herb, Petty, Reese) - it would be difficult not to take all of them. Sexton is obvious and the way Oats likes to shoot the three, how do you not go after Petty? Herb's ability as a 6'7'' speed dribbler and jack of all trades Rivals 100 kid that they could work with on his shooting and home state kid would have made him hard to pass up. Also I think I always liked Reese more than most. Another home state kid who showed up with size and a lot of skills. No doubt I yelled at my TV a lot of times "STOP SHOOTING REESE" when he would clang four shots in rapid succession, but I think this NCAA tourney showed me what I thought he could be. Many have noted the cupboard was not bare when Oats arrived, and that no doubt helped the rapid ascent we are seeing.

Like another post above says - haven't felt this way about our program since the Wimp Sanderson days when I was a kid. I'm also confident that Oats will surpass what Wimp did by getting us to our first final four with a real chance to win it all. Roll Tide

@Harper41 Your scouting report on Bediako seems to be the consensus among those in the industry. My question is why is this kid still a borderline 5 star with the lack of athleticism, upside, and shooting ability? I know 6’11 kids don’t grow on trees, but it’s not like he’s 7’2. If he were 6’11 and couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from 10 feet and had little offensive upside, but had elite athleticism, I could see how a top 30 ranking could be warranted. To me, based on how you and other experts in the industry talk about his game he should be ranked somewhere in the 75-100 range, maybe the back part of the top 75, but certainly not top 30. What am I missing?

@Harper41 Your scouting report on Bediako seems to be the consensus among those in the industry. My question is why is this kid still a borderline 5 star with the lack of athleticism, upside, and shooting ability? I know 6’11 kids don’t grow on trees, but it’s not like he’s 7’2. If he were 6’11 and couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from 10 feet and had little offensive upside, but had elite athleticism, I could see how a top 30 ranking could be warranted. To me, based on how you and other experts in the industry talk about his game he should be ranked somewhere in the 75-100 range, maybe the back part of the top 75, but certainly not top 30. What am I missing?
Have you watched his clips? I don't get all the slow and unathletic talk. He's a rim runner. Watch him before you get set in the opinion that he's less than he is. He looks pretty awesome running the floor and catching lobs. Think Clint Capela.

He’s got limitless potential and that goes into consideration. When you have a guy that’s 6’11 with a 7’4 wingspan that is skilled around the basket, then that warrants a high rank. He can run the floor, but not the fleetest of foot and can’t jump high. He won’t wow you with athleticism, but has some limited athleticism. That can grow and I think he will get stronger, faster, and more athletic when he gets in a college weight room

Recruiting:

Next Year's Roster:
Jahvon Quinerly
Jaden Shackelford
Keon Ellis
Joshua Primo
Juwan Gary
James Rojas
Darius Miles
Keon Ambrose
Alex Tchikou

thanks Harper I love the fact that bama basketball is back. I have been watching and listening to it since early 70s. Excited about where it is headed. RTR

Reactions: bet9
ADVERTISEMENT