ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama rolls Auburn

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
-Alabama trounced Auburn 70-58 on the back of an elite defensive game. Alabama forced 20 turnovers and scored 24 points off those turnovers which was a huge reason for Alabama’s decisive win. Auburn outrebounded Alabama by a decent margin, but that was because Alabama shot 15 more shots and turned it over 13 times less. Jaden Shackelford shot out of his recent shooting slump scoring 23 points on 5/9 shooting from 3 and really came up huge in the 2nd half.

-Alabama led by 10+ Majority of the game, but Auburn did cut it to 4 halfway through the 2nd half. However, Alabama quickly went on a 13-2 run to put it away for good. This wasn’t a great game for Alabama, but it was good seeing them play Loose in the 1st half and made a lot of shots in rhythm of the offense. What is always going to be there is Alabama’s elite level defense. This was one of the best defensive performances of the season and it came against Auburn, which is always sweet.

Alabama plays their final game of the season on Saturday in Athens against Georgia. This will likely be a game that Alabama will try to rest some guys if they can to be fully healthy headed into tournament time.

...Alabama plays their final game of the season on Saturday in Athens against Georgia. This will likely be a game that Alabama will try to rest some guys if they can to be fully healthy headed into tournament time.

Not sure letting guys rest for that game would work out how we intend. We're about to have a 10 day stretch with 1 game in the middle. And we still need a few guys to straighten out their shots. I'd rather go all out and drill uga. If we're up big then the second half turns into "who hasn't played yet?".

Not sure letting guys rest for that game would work out how we intend. We're about to have a 10 day stretch with 1 game in the middle. And we still need a few guys to straighten out their shots. I'd rather go all out and drill uga. If we're up big then the second half turns into "who hasn't played yet?".
I think they are already tired. They looked so lethargic at times tonight. I’m wondering if we have run out of gas!

Reactions: onebamamaniax
I think they are already tired. They looked so lethargic at times tonight. I’m wondering if we have run out of gas!

Yeah, they've looked that way a lot this month but it usually shows more in the Sat games played before noon.

IMO Oats has to find a way to get through to this team that they really haven't won anything yet and the second season starts in a little over a week. Nothing played before that matters beyond how you're seeded. He's talked about guys playing tight or focusing on the regular season championship but somehow he has to light a fire in these guys going into the SEC tournament. You don't want to have a soft last game going into a conference tournament where you don't make it to Sunday.

I didn’t say full on rest them. I said rest them when they can.

These guys aren't tired. Saw some better chemistry and confidence out there tonight, albeit against an overmatched auburn team. Feeling slightly better about making it to Sunday in our tourney after that one. Don't let up against uga, gotta keep working.

I think they are "over" the regular season. Stupid analogy but one time I trained for a long run. I didn't manage my schedule properly and found myself ready for the race about two weeks prematurely. Was difficult to keep getting up and running long distances when I just wanted to get my race over with. Several of these guys have looked like they were ready for the regular season to end for weeks now.

I think they are "over" the regular season. Stupid analogy but one time I trained for a long run. I didn't manage my schedule properly and found myself ready for the race about two weeks prematurely. Was difficult to keep getting up and running long distances when I just wanted to get my race over with. Several of these guys have looked like they were ready for the regular season to end for weeks now.
I like this. Make sense.

playing poorly can become a bad habit at this time of the year,

Really happy about this season and sweeping the Barn is always nice. I also feel like if Sharife Cooper had played, not sure we would have won the game. Maybe it would have elevated our play, which was subpar in many areas like shooting (again) and rebounding. Other than the blowout of UGA, it's been about a full month since the team really clicked. Hoping to see a solid outing in Athens, and would love to see Primo and Petty have dominant shooting games and get the mojo back.

Overall what a season, setting up a really exciting March. Thanks for the chatter Harp and all. Really exciting times for Bama b-ball.

Reactions: Jordan Harper
You make a damn good point!

ADVERTISEMENT