ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Tournament Outlook 2/13

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Alabama is #22 in the updated NET rankings this morning after defeating #33 Arkansas. They still easily have the #1 SOS in the country.

Alabama faces #54 Miss St at home and #3 Kentucky on the road this week.

Alabama is 6-5 in Q1 games, including wins against 1, 4, 5, and 10. They have the strongest collection of wins in the country.

They’re 5-2 in both Q2 and Q3 games while not playing any Q4 games. There are only 2 chances for Q1 wins left (@ UK and @ LSU). @ #76 Vandy is close to being Q1 depending on how the finish.

The Arkansas win was huge during this 3 game stretch because it opens the door to being 17-9 going into UK game with an easy schedule following. Very realistic chance Alabama finishes the regular season 21-10 going into the SEC Tournament which is a solid 4 seed projection.

Some disappointing losses this year but I still like the way this schedule was set up. This could have been and probably should have been about a 25 and 6 team heading into SEC tourney. Maybe their best ball is still coming up.

Some disappointing losses this year but I still like the way this schedule was set up. This could have been and probably should have been about a 25 and 6 team heading into SEC tourney. Maybe their best ball is still coming up.
Years past with a 20-11 record we would be NIT bound. Now a 5 seed. Scheduling tough and winning big games makes all the difference

Years past with a 20-11 record we would be NIT bound. Now a 5 seed. Scheduling tough and winning big games makes all the difference
Obviously hypothetical here, but interesting to think about what our outlook would be if we lose to the teams ranked above us (Gonzaga, Houston, Baylor) and beat the shitters we somehow lost to (Jawja, Methzou, Cowbell). Either way I'm with you on scheduling tough. Plus it gives us fans more games to get hyped about.

Obviously hypothetical here, but interesting to think about what our outlook would be if we lose to the teams ranked above us (Gonzaga, Houston, Baylor) and beat the shitters we somehow lost to (Jawja, Methzou, Cowbell). Either way I'm with you on scheduling tough. Plus it gives us fans more games to get hyped about.
It would’ve been like the Grant days of winning 20 games and not making it bc of no quality wins I think.

IMO if Bama was 25-6 with this year's schedule then they would be in contention for a top seed.

They certainly have shown they can beat anyone this year anyway, so I just hope they can get hot at tournament time.

We were conditioned as Bama fans to eye down that win total from mid January on bc we NEVER won against good teams. You can tell many of our fans are still glued to that concept and can’t get it through their heads that beating Gonzaga, Baylor, Houston, Tennessee, lsu, Arkansas while playing the toughest schedule in the country changes that in a major way.

harp is this the best set of wins we have ever accumulated in 1 regular season ?

We were conditioned as Bama fans to eye down that win total from mid January on bc we NEVER won against good teams. You can tell many of our fans are still glued to that concept and can’t get it through their heads that beating Gonzaga, Baylor, Houston, Tennessee, lsu, Arkansas while playing the toughest schedule in the country changes that in a major way.

harp is this the best set of wins we have ever accumulated in 1 regular season ?
He is too young to know that. Wimp and CM Newton had teams that beat a bunch of highly ranked teams.

Alabama has never beaten five top 15 teams in a season before at the time of the game . Not even close.

I am young but neither defeated five top 15 teams in a single season
Exactly, done great in these areas. I was there from the Newton days. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Season isn't over with yet and it could go either way. But after the Arkansas game, I like how the team is maturing and finding ways to win.

Reactions: 3davis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT