ADVERTISEMENT

ALABAMA WINS THE SEC REGULAR SEASON TITLE

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Alabama struggled half of the second half against Mississippi State, but it's elite defense won them the game 64-59 and as result, the regular season championship for the first time since 2002! This is the 8th regular season SEC title for Alabama. Alabama only shot 32% from the field and made 7/28 threes, but in the end it was it's defense that locked down Miss St all game. They forced 11 steals and 15 turnovers overall and outrebounded a much larger MSU team 45-38. Jahvon Quinerly led the team with 19 points and Shackelford scored 15, the only two Alabama players in double figures.Another impressive stat was Herb Jones recording 14 rebounds against a very big front court, even though he shot 1/10 from the field.

Look, Alabama has not been playing it's best basketball this month, yet they are 5-3. Most Februarys they would be 3-5 or 2-6. This team has reall bought in on the defensive end and is the reason they're in nearly every ballgame they play regardless of how they shoot. Alabama made 15/17 FT and they were crucial in the final two minutes of the game. Those will be key when it comes postseason play. Alabama has been playing tight of late and you could say it was the pressure of winning the conference or trying to prevent collapses of years past, but maybe this will open things up more and let them come out firing against auburn on Tuesday.

What a season this has been for Alabama and there are still two tournaments to be played and one of them will not be the NIT. I have been covering basketball on this site since the end of the Grant era and this is the kind of success I’ve been waiting to see Alabama achieve. Just enjoy the ride this final month and Roll Tide!

More than anything its a relief to get this win. The way we were shooting I was sure I was watching us be ground up in the paint as MSU beat us with layups. Of all people Rojas 3 pointer was the shot of the game. It put MSU into a mode of going faster and fouling after each miss.

Now lets not limp into tournament play and get two more wins and at least get to Sunday in the SEC tourney.

Great write up Harper and who woulda thunk it? Bama is the 2020/2021 SEC Champions!
Great accomplishment for this program as a whole. The seniors on this team have been through some miserable times and I am thrilled to see them have this success.
Hats off to Nate Oats for a second season mindblower And good luck the rest of the way.
RollTide

I was 12 and remember it like it was yesterday. I know my dad is cheering up stairs after this one. Been to long. Oats is way ahead of schedule.

I was there for that one. Stuck in one of those odd angled seats in the corner but had a great view of Pettway getting open and laying it in. Craziest atmosphere in Coleman since Wimp was in charge. It was also pretty much the only time we beat Donavan when it mattered. He owned us in about every other game but maybe one.

I have been a well known obnoxious critic of the program for a long time. Only because I am old enough to remember how the program used to be. Big thumbs up to Coach Oats and the team. Been a long time.

I have been a well known obnoxious critic of the program for a long time. Only because I am old enough to remember how the program used to be. Big thumbs up to Coach Oats and the team. Been a long time.
we leave alot of easy points on the court but who can argue with our results.

Reactions: EugDan
Someone please clarify something for me. We are now 14-2 with two games left. Arky is 11-4 with three games left. If they win out and we lose our final two, won't it be a tie for the SEC Championship. Not trying to be a pessimist and maybe I am missing something, but it seems to me we clinched a tie tonight. If I am wrong, someone please point it out to me. Thanks in advance.

Someone please clarify something for me. We are now 14-2 with two games left. Arky is 11-4 with three games left. If they win out and we lose our final two, won't it be a tie for the SEC Championship. Not trying to be a pessimist and maybe I am missing something, but it seems to me we clinched a tie tonight. If I am wrong, someone please point it out to me. Thanks in advance.
Arkansas has two games left.

OK, thanks. But why does Arky only play 17 conference games while we play 18?

I was 12 and remember it like it was yesterday. I know my dad is cheering up stairs after this one. Been to long. Oats is way ahead of schedule.

I was there. It is one of favorite memories. Here is the crazy thing. Right before I went into Coleman, I witnessed a bicyclist crash and hit his head directly on the curb in front of the Natatorium. He was out cold and then started convulsing. Someone called 911. He then stopped convulsing and was fine. I took it as a good sign that we would win the game.

I was there. It is one of favorite memories. Here is the crazy thing. Right before I went into Coleman, I witnessed a bicyclist crash and hit his head directly on the curb in front of the Natatorium. He was out cold and then started convulsing. Someone called 911. He then stopped convulsing and was fine. I took it as a good sign that we would win the game.
Damn that’s insane lol

• Haha
Reactions: pfaud001
ADVERTISEMENT