ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama's Tournament Run Comes to an End against UCLA in OT

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
What an exciting back and forth game where Alex Reese hit a shot at the buzzer to force overtime, but the turnovers and missed free throws cost Alabama the game. Alabama shot 11/25 from the free throw line tonight in Hinkle Fieldhouse. They shot a similar number in the first game in the tournament against Iona as well. They also only made 7 threes all game, after only making 6 against Iona in the same gym. I'm not saying it was the gym, but quite odd why we can't shoot well in that gym but could shoot lights out in the other. I feel bad for Herbert Jones. You can blame him all you want, and he was at fault a lot late in the game, but I hate this is how he has to go out. Missing 4 crucial free throws at the end of the game and getting in foul trouble again. He did not have a good NCAA Tournament, but what he did for this program his whole career was remarkable. The seniors really left their mark on this program and jumpstarted what looks to be the start of something special with Oats at head coach. It just wasn't in the cards tonight unfortunately.

Alabama started the game off on a 19-7 run, but UCLA took over the rest of the half leading 40-29 at the break. Alabama opened the second half on a 11-0 run to tie the game and make it a game again. It was back and forth the whole way through. The final 5 minutes were crucial and Alabama just couldn't hit free throws or make shots to put UCLA away. Give them credit though. They hit ALOT of tough shots throughout the game. They played great and started out the first half on fire, basically playing our style of game for us. Alabama should've won this game and it hurts bad, but this was a spring board season. They won the SEC regular season title, SEC Tournament title, and made it to the Sweet 16, all feats that haven't been done in 17 years or longer. Alabama will pull a top 10 recruiting class with a possible former 5 star transfer added in, and only lose two starters. This team will be back next season and will likely be better than this season. Roll Tide Forever!

What an exciting back and forth game where Alex Reese hit a shot at the buzzer to force overtime, but the turnovers and missed free throws cost Alabama the game. Alabama shot 11/25 from the free throw line tonight in Hinkle Fieldhouse. They shot a similar number in the first game in the tournament against Iona as well. They also only made 7 threes all game, after only making 6 against Iona in the same gym. I'm not saying it was the gym, but quite odd why we can't shoot well in that gym but could shoot lights out in the other. I feel bad for Herbert Jones. You can blame him all you want, and he was at fault a lot late in the game, but I hate this is how he has to go out. Missing 4 crucial free throws at the end of the game and getting in foul trouble again. He did not have a good NCAA Tournament, but what he did for this program his whole career was remarkable. The seniors really left their mark on this program and jumpstarted what looks to be the start of something special with Oats at head coach. It just wasn't in the cards tonight unfortunately.

Alabama started the game off on a 19-7 run, but UCLA took over the rest of the half leading 40-29 at the break. Alabama opened the second half on a 11-0 run to tie the game and make it a game again. It was back and forth the whole way through. The final 5 minutes were crucial and Alabama just couldn't hit free throws or make shots to put UCLA away. Give them credit though. They hit ALOT of tough shots throughout the game. They played great and started out the first half on fire, basically playing our style of game for us. Alabama should've won this game and it hurts bad, but this was a spring board season. They won the SEC regular season title, SEC Tournament title, and made it to the Sweet 16, all feats that haven't been done in 17 years or longer. Alabama will pull a top 10 recruiting class with a possible former 5 star transfer added in, and only lose two starters. This team will be back next season and will likely be better than this season. Roll Tide Forever!
Good post. Still sucks to lose and I will wallow in it for a while.
tumblr_niqwlqIsKQ1smcbm7o1_500.gif

UCLA held us to 60 something in regulation. They played great defense against us and had Bama taking some bad shots

I know we’re no Abilene Christian but at times we looked as unorganized on offense as any time all year.

on defense we rarely blocked outand paid the price ..
How many offensive rebounds did the Bruins get ?I put this up there with missed free throws ..

Seniors have to make free throws.

They also have to know when not to shoot.

Herb failed on bothcounts but has many other highlights in his career

We should hold ours heads up with PRIDE! Even though we lost, and quite honestly beat ourselves, the guys played hard. It took the most storied program in NCAA basketball history to oust us. This season is hopefully equivalent to our 2008 football season... this experience will be the springboard to our yearly appearance in the NCAA Tournament and to winning more recruiting battles than we lose. The shots didn’t fall and some calls didn’t go our way, but it was a fun year. Can’t wait for what the future holds.
Roll Tide 🐘🐘

Tough loss because we are definitely the better team and just could not finish tonight.

I will say this though....after that WKU loss earlier in the year...if you told me this is how we would finish I’d take it in a heartbeat. Great season and can’t wait to see how this off-season goes with some new players!

We should hold ours heads up with PRIDE! Even though we lost, and quite honestly beat ourselves, the guys played hard. It took the most storied program in NCAA basketball history to oust us. This season is hopefully equivalent to our 2008 football season... this experience will be the springboard to our yearly appearance in the NCAA Tournament and to winning more recruiting battles than we lose. The shots didn’t fall and some calls didn’t go our way, but it was a fun year. Can’t wait for what the future holds.
Roll Tide 🐘🐘
That storied program was a play in team that came into the tournament on a 4-5 game losing streak
And a 11 seed

That storied program was a play in team that came into the tournament on a 4-5 game losing streak
And a 11 seed
And have won 4 straight games.
Obviously seeding doesn’t mean much in the tournament. Look at all the upsets.

Thanks for all the takes this year--Harper. I really appreciate the basketball talk. It hurts losing to an inferior team ( although they played well). In the NCAA tournament you cant have a Senior leader go 2 for 7 from the line and have 5 turnovers. I love Herb but he was horrific tonight.
Great season.I just hate to see it end.

And have won 4 straight games.
Obviously seeding doesn’t mean much in the tournament. Look at all the upsets.
They were the better team tonight
They were a 11 seed

So it’s a positive they’ve won 4 straight? Of course ...

The point is they came limping into the tournament.

They were a 11 seed and since they’ve played more games, they should have been tired or more tired

And it’s been a long time since the bruins have been relevant

Reactions: jtr4dad
They were the better team tonight
They were a 11 seed

So it’s a positive they’ve won 4 straight? Of course ...

The point is they came limping into the tournament.

They were a 11 seed and since they’ve played more games, they should have been tired or more tired

And it’s been a long time since the bruins have been relevant
I get your point, but no need to over think this. Apparently the PAC 12 has some really good basketball teams that beat up on each other.

Reactions: bamaboy371444
Tough game to lose when there were so many opportunities to win. Just average FT shooting for us and the last few minutes play out very differently. Any luck at all or favorable calls from the refs and it isn't even a contest at the end. Everyone was missing open shots late in the game and OT. Herb must have thought the goal was exactly the size of the ball like some rigged carnival game.

I thought the second foul on Herb set a tone for the game that we never really shook loose from. We had runs but it was like we were expecting it when things went bad again. Give us the refs from the Maryland game and we destroy UCLA in spite of poor FT shooting.

It was a great season for this program even though it finished here in the round of 16. They met or exceeded about every other great season but that one fluke of a run Pettway and co took us on almost 20 years ago.

Now Oats gets to earn his paycheck. He should have a far more talented team next season but it won't be nearly as tough or experienced. For the most part they will be his players. So he will have to work to keep them engaged when things aren't going as planned. He also won't have a relatively easy conference slate. I'm sure UK will rebound and teams like Ark will only get better.

Tough loss because we are definitely the better team and just could not finish tonight.

I will say this though....after that WKU loss earlier in the year...if you told me this is how we would finish I’d take it in a heartbeat. Great season and can’t wait to see how this off-season goes with some new players!
To go from where we were a couple years ago to this season is amazing. After the WKU loss I really wondered where this team would go, but they pulled it together and were the surprise of the season in the SEC. Yes, I am greatly disappointed as I believe we beat ourselves, but also pleased with the progression of the program in year two of Oats’ era.

Reactions: winin11
Well that sucked! I just now finished the game because I had a bad feeling about it and didn't want the season to end so I kept pushing pause.

The free throw misses probably cost us the game but Ucla controlled the pace for most of the game. We played their style of game and that's not good.
Herbs early fouls hurt but Ellis's 2 In the 1st and 4th in the 2nd hurt worse.
I really thought from before the season we'd make it to the final 4.

@pfaud001 I believed everything you said with your positive attitude. I felt the same way. I was letting you be positive while I played negative role. I thought we had a great thing going...we failed...lol.

• Love
Reactions: pfaud001

Mr Harper, many thanks for keeping the online farm for Bama basketball. Appreciate your many contributions this season.

Harp - appreciate your threads as you've been doing this for years even when Bama b-ball wasn't so fun. My random and mostly similar thoughts (thanks for this group counseling session) -

Agree with the post above that Herb's 2nd foul seemed to throw us entirely off kilter for the game. Two charges in the first 41 seconds to the SEC player of the year is a big deal. The second one was an easy block call and the refs blew it. The NCAA/SEC has work to do on the charge vs block call. It is way out of hand.

Will always love Herb. An absolute warrior and one of the highest basketball IQs I've seen at Bama. Has always had offensive limitations but what an improvement that guy made over four seasons. Hated the way this game went for him but will always be proud he wore Crimson.

Tough game for Petty as well. Hit a few threes but like the rest of the team, looked off most of the game. He will be remembered for his 3-ball and helping bring back Bama b-ball as we ushered in the Oats Era. I hope Petty goes and makes decent money playing ball somewhere to take care of his two kids. Seems like a good guy.

It's been a roller coaster ride for Reese but thought he may have matured as much as anyone this season. It stinks he was playing injured the last two years. What a great contribution he made this NCAA tournament and I'll always remember the three he made to put us in OT.

Thanks to these three seniors!!!

Bummer game vs UCLA. That's a team we beat 4 out of 5 times. They usually hit 6 threes a game and made 7 in the first half. When that dude threw up a leaner-line drive shot that went down during the second half I was just silently thinking "this is one of those games".

We looked tight and not relaxed all night. I'm sure UCLA had something to do with it, but just felt like we were shell shocked with Herb having to sit almost as soon as the ball tipped, and went on to brick 14 of 25 free throws and just seemed off our game the whole night. I also thought we got into too much JQ one on one show. As good as he is, run the offense, involve the other guys, get our shots. We played just like we did against Iona and didn't play our game.

Sounds like JQ is coming back for another run. If that happens plus the current roster plus what we have coming in, I expect us to be ranked in the top 10 in the nation and picked to win the SEC. Welcome to expectations Coach Oats! You can do it. I am planning on us having a 1-seed in next year's tournament. ROLL TIDE

There is no explanation for that.
The definition of insanity.... And guess what. If we were in a one possession game with 20 seconds to go tomorrow, Oats would run it through Herb again. No hate to Oats... he's a phenomenal coach. But I'll never understand that.

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
He is right a great opportunity was missed tonight. Don't understand why the hell they want to run offense thru Herbert Jones maybe you can explain that basketball guru
Well it turned out well in hindsight getting fouled with a chance to put the game away, but he just couldn’t hit the free throws. Hate it for him.

The definition of insanity.... And guess what. If we were in a one possession game with 20 seconds to go tomorrow, Oats would run it through Herb again. No hate to Oats... he's a phenomenal coach. But I'll never understand that.
Not with the other options available. Herb is about 0-5 this year in similar situations. Just do not get it. And that is on Oats.

Well it turned out well in hindsight getting fouled with a chance to put the game away, but he just couldn’t hit the free throws. Hate it for him.
Every time this has happened the strategy actually "worked."

At Mizzou = Herb for an easy layup
WKU = Herb at the rim for multiple opportunities
UCLA = Herb gets fouled

The problem is the end result and you have to coach with your personnel. Herb is an amazing basketball player but he's not that guy at the end of the game in the half court.

Every time this has happened the strategy actually "worked."

At Mizzou = Herb for an easy layup
WKU = Herb at the rim for multiple opportunities
UCLA = Herb gets fouled

The problem is the end result and you have to coach with your personnel. Herb is an amazing basketball player but he's not that guy at the end of the game in the half court.
Same thing at Oklahoma. I just cringed last night when I saw he had the ball.

Reactions: Sweetlou10

Do you really want Herb shooting FTs with the night he had been having at the line and with his shot basically gone?

The ball should have been in JQ’s hands.

Do you really want Herb shooting FTs with the night he had been having at the line and with his shot basically gone?

The ball should have been in JQ’s hands.

Herb just had a bad game/tournament all the way around. Sucks for him, and hate to see him end his career that way. In defense of Oats I still take my chances with the SEC POY who is a 73% FT shooter at the line in the clutch. I was more disappointed with the green light he seemed to have from the 3 point line. I swear I don't think he's hit a 3 pointer since February.

Herb just had a bad game/tournament all the way around. Sucks for him, and hate to see him end his career that way. In defense of Oats I still take my chances with the SEC POY who is a 73% FT shooter at the line in the clutch. I was more disappointed with the green light he seemed to have from the 3 point line. I swear I don't think he's hit a 3 pointer since February.
0-for his last 18. Look it up. 🤔🤔

Our lack of fundamentals really hurt us tonight. Our players need to work on ball handling all summer.

Our lack of fundamentals really hurt us tonight. Our players need to work on ball handling all summer.

Other than Petty, I'm not sure there is an overall problem with ball handling. I said in another post that we just seemed lethargic on offense. Especially JQ and Shack, who otherwise are pretty good ball handlers, or an elite ball handler in JQ's case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT