ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Heard any news or rumors about a new basketball arena?

winin11

All American
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2011
I heard it will be built in three years....done deal . Im a little skeptical in that as a fact.

Reactions: bet9
I’ve heard that we won’t be scheduling mid week home games. Home games will only be scheduled on Friday night, or Saturdays to sell out 15000 seats in Coleman. We will not build a micro arena like cow town. We will build when our future in basketball comes into focus.

• Haha
I’ve heard that we won’t be scheduling mid week home games. Home games will only be scheduled on Friday night, or Saturdays to sell out 15000 seats in Coleman. We will not build a micro arena like cow town. We will build when our future in basketball comes into focus.

Is this sarcasm?

Reactions: winin11
Yes it
Is this sarcasm?
Yes it was sarcastic. I’ve got to stop this because there is well meaning fans that believe that a new arena will help the program. I don’t believe it is a wise decision, but that doesn’t mean that I’m correct.

I am for a new arena but bigger than the Barns but with the way this transfer portal business is playing out, no players stay long enough to enjoy a new arena. The word “Team” needs to be dropped. How about: Alabama Basketball Individuals Program . Same for Football. RTR

Actually if we could schedule that way given the 8 pm TV start times for some of those midweek game where attendance is lacking due to time. It would be a good idea.

Reactions: JMusso72
I am for a new arena but bigger than the Barns but with the way this transfer portal business is playing out, no players stay long enough to enjoy a new arena. The word “Team” needs to be dropped. How about: Alabama Basketball Individuals Program . Same for Football. RTR
I think we are closer to a new arena than three years ago. It is so many uncertainty’s about the future that business men on the board is being cautious on taking on this enormous debt. I believe they have invested wisely in the future in giving Oats a healthy contract. I believe the success in the next couple of years will effluence their decision on a new arena. I wish our government would be as cautious in their decisions as this board has been on a new arena.

Actually if we could schedule that way given the 8 pm TV start times for some of those midweek game where attendance is lacking due to time. It would be a good idea.
If you live in near the arena a 8:00 game time mite be ok. You could probably get up and work the next day. But, for anyone that has a 1-2 hour drive it is impossible to make a 8:00 game.

I'm all for a new arena but i agree it don`t have to be that much smaller. coaches, fans, and the atmosphere is the biggest advantage in recruiting but a nice new arena won`t hurt.

I'm all for a new arena but i agree it don`t have to be that much smaller. coaches, fans, and the atmosphere is the biggest advantage in recruiting but a nice new arena won`t hurt.
I still believe it is a financial decision on taking on debt. With football they did take on a lot of debt remodeling Bryant Denny. But they added skyboxes that paid back some of that debt. Plus they play their home games on Saturday so they know that there will be sell out at every game. I know that I’m talking to basketball fans and giving examples of the football program. I do this to explain how the committee works. I believe if Nate Oats keeps winning and increases the fan base the taken on debt will win over the committee’s decision. Being an Alabama basketball fan is hard when you compare it to the football program. It’s all about debt and financial decisions.

I still believe it is a financial decision on taking on debt. With football they did take on a lot of debt remodeling Bryant Denny. But they added skyboxes that paid back some of that debt. Plus they play their home games on Saturday so they know that there will be sell out at every game. I know that I’m talking to basketball fans and giving examples of the football program. I do this to explain how the committee works. I believe if Nate Oats keeps winning and increases the fan base the taken on debt will win over the committee’s decision. Being an Alabama basketball fan is hard when you compare it to the football program. It’s all about debt and financial decisions.
i think the bball fan base has always been there, just watch when we are winning. football has been so great for so long makes a lot of kids fans for life.

This is a very good point. Obviously Oats can recruit without having the best facilities and who is staying around to utilize all of the amenities? Kids who enter the portal are either moving down for more playing time (and money) or moving up to catapult their pro resumes (and money). Not sure the nicest taping rooms and whirlpools are factoring into the equation.

This is a very good point. Obviously Oats can recruit without having the best facilities and who is staying around to utilize all of the amenities? Kids who enter the portal are either moving down for more playing time (and money) or moving up to catapult their pro resumes (and money). Not sure the nicest taping rooms and whirlpools are factoring into the equation.
I believe the basketball investments at this time should follow exactly what Saban has done. Building the best sports med facilities. Build a nutrition facility and gaming room. Locker rooms with leather pods for basketball players to relax. Trophy’s of recent players that have played at Alabama and is now in the NBA. Show these players that they will have a good time at Alabama, and that Alabama is a clear path to the NBA. This is my vision for recruiting in basketball.

Reactions: rsaxoniii and bet9
I believe the basketball investments at this time should follow exactly what Saban has done. Building the best sports med facilities. Build a nutrition facility and gaming room. Locker rooms with leather pods for basketball players to relax. Trophy’s of recent players that have played at Alabama and is now in the NBA. Show these players that they will have a good time at Alabama, and that Alabama is a clear path to the NBA. This is my vision for recruiting in basketball.
We have an elite practice facility. The locker room is top notch. The problem is the arena. That’s it.

Reactions: winin11
We have an elite practice facility. The locker room is top notch. The problem is the arena. That’s it.
Well if you get your wish then get ready to pay double for a ticket. This committee is a responsible committee and they will have away to cover the debt before they make a decision.

If money is the issue, what the University really needs is a Bama man that's a contractor that will forfeit ripping them off and retiring on building a new arena.
There's no way stuff like this cost 200+ million dollars.

Companies have their @&+$_| mind!

Reactions: pfaud001 and budog
Live in Huntsville and have been going to 8:00 tips for years. Doesn't bother me a bit.
Great post 33, it takes me an hour and change to get home and I just don’t see the issue either. With that said, I run off of about 4 hours sleep which makes it a non issue.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

If money is the issue, what the University really needs is a Bama man that's a contractor that will forfeit ripping them off and retiring on building a new arena.
There's no way stuff like this cost 200+ million dollars.

Companies have their @&+$_| mind!

Yeah, businesses everywhere found during COVID that they could defy what once were basic economics of increasing prices beyond what consumers will pay generally pay. Instead of using common sense our consumers at every level have been eagerly paying for every price increase. It won't stop until the money runs out or enough folks wake up and realize they're being used and abused.

Its like we're playing Dr Strickand's tennis shoe game but there's no penalty for pricing the shoes as high as you want because they're still selling out faster than you can deliver at every single price increase. People are social media zombies going on autopilot every time they shop.

Sure some things have inflated but some of the increases are absurd. But if it is still selling then that is the new price point.

Well if you get your wish then get ready to pay double for a ticket. This committee is a responsible committee and they will have away to cover the debt before they make a decision.
I would give up my football tickets for a new arena and happily pay double.

Great post 33, it takes me an hour and change to get home and I just don’t see the issue either. With that said, I run off of about 4 hours sleep which makes it a non issue.

ROLL TIDE!!!!
It depends on what time you
Yeah, businesses everywhere found during COVID that they could defy what once were basic economics of increasing prices beyond what consumers will pay generally pay. Instead of using common sense our consumers at every level have been eagerly paying for every price increase. It won't stop until the money runs out or enough folks wake up and realize they're being used and abused.

Its like we're playing Dr Strickand's tennis shoe game but there's no penalty for pricing the shoes as high as you want because they're still selling out faster than you can deliver at every single price increase. People are social media zombies going on autopilot every time they shop.

Sure some things have inflated but some of the increases are absurd. But if it is still selling then that is the new price point.
Covid had a lot to do with increasing prices manufacturing and lack of a labor force cause a rise in pricing. The cost of labor when up as companies had to do this to fill their needs. Stopping to flow of lower priced shell oil had a lot to do with the increase in inflation. Higher price fuel to move products and services alway causes inflation. The 1st thing we should be doing is opening those refineries in the Decodiaz
what are you going to wish for once you get this dream arena.If the basketball program can ever have a long stretch of Winning like our football program has had then you get all the you wish for. And with this young coach the basketball program has a chance to see great things happen. So, just have some faith in this committee that they will keep making the right financial decisions to have a sustainable success both in victories, titles, and fan financial supported growth.

Everytime I hear a price on something, I'm like Jesus!
I get the same response Gas, materials, and employees. My response is I'll pay for those 3 things and you cut down on 15k profit you'll make in 2 days. Sadly, Most of these people are friends of mine.

I was an employer for 25 years and I never paid anyone $1000-10,000 a day to work so I'm not paying them either.

This is a tough time for construction and development of any type. More than one project in Tuscaloosa has cancelled recently
I ran a department in 2021. My job was to plan and keep this department running. Part of my job was to schedule cleaning of pits and equipment every 2 weeks. I couldn’t hire 1/2 the people needed. One reason was the federal government unemployment pay during Covid. People could stay home and be as well off as working. I was a victim of budgeting and salary caps where I couldn’t get people to work.If some of you think your smart enough to start a business and create jobs then by all means jump in there and help the economy. I’m retired now so I hope you youngsters have a good plan to keep this economy going.

Well If that makes your emotions feel better then do it. No need to wait maybe your confidence will inspire the committee. I doubt it but if you feel more emotional stable then do it for yourself.

Everytime I hear a price on something, I'm like Jesus!
I get the same response Gas, materials, and employees. My response is I'll pay for those 3 things and you cut down on 15k profit you'll make in 2 days. Sadly, Most of these people are friends of mine.

I was an employer for 25 years and I never paid anyone $1000-10,000 a day to work so I'm not paying them either.
We just bought a summer home up north, and the prices people wanted for things like painting, yard work, small maintenance jobs, etc was so ridiculous that my wife and I said screw it, and just did it ourselves. Just out of principle, I would sooner burn the place to the ground and live in a tent before pay those outrageous prices. Most people are going to have to go back to the way things were when I was a kid, and just do these things for themselves, or not do them at all.

We just bought a summer home up north, and the prices people wanted for things like painting, yard work, small maintenance jobs, etc was so ridiculous that my wife and I said screw it, and just did it ourselves. Just out of principle, I would sooner burn the place to the ground and live in a tent before pay those outrageous prices. Most people are going to have to go back to the way things were when I was a kid, and just do these things for themselves, or not do them at all.
Listen Diamond Jim, when you and your lovely wife head up north for the summer why don’t you leave your ole basketball buddy (me) the keys to your place in Florida and let me come down and stay for a week or 6.
Roll Tide brother!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT