ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas defeats Alabama 81-66

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
-This was not a game that was fun to watch for either side, especially Alabama. Doug Shows was the head official tonight and I think everyone knew what that was going to mean: A LOT of fouls. There were 47 total fouls called and Arkansas outshot Alabama 43-8 in free throws. That is unheard of. That was a big part to why Alabama couldn't ever get going offensively and just ruined the rhythm of the game. It seemed like every possession there was a foul. Now back to breaking down the actual game. Arkansas packed the paint and made Alabama earn it from outside or they were having a block party inside. They totaled 10 blocks in the game and Musselman played big majority of the game. That is the one concern for Alabama is if teams start packing the paint and forcing long shots, will Alabama be able to make enough threes to win. Alabama shot 38% from the fields and 33% from 3.Recently the three ball hasn't been kind. Arkansas did a good job defending Alabama tonight, but the officiating didn't help much either. Being -24 in free throws made is a huge disparity that can rarely be made up.

-It was good to see Jordan Bruner still have his outside shot. There's not much positive outside of seeing him play well. John Petty was ejected during the game and Arkansas had a player ejected as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Petty sit out next game for that, but regardless he needs to show a better example as a senior no matter how bad the officiating was.

-Alabama travels to Miss St on Saturday with another chance to clinch a share of the SEC Championship. A win and Arkansas loss would give Alabama the outright title and #1 seed in the SEC Tournament.

Refs did great tonight. I really liked how arkansas got a foul call on nearly every contested shot at the rim while we rarely did... most of Arkansas fouls were ref bs to call fouls that were meaningless.
Proud of Petty for getting 2 technicals. Reminded me of myself.

Petty shouldn't have acted out the way he did because Oats should've gotten T'd up 30 minutes earlier. Don't know how or why you stand there with your arms crossed while your players are getting railed like that unless he decided early on that he plans to make some kind of public statement about that officiating. That wasn't just a bad game by the refs, they are getting national attention for that performance in a big time top 20 match up. Unreal.

Petty shouldn't have acted out the way he did because Oats should've gotten T'd up 30 minutes earlier. Don't know how or why you stand there with your arms crossed while your players are getting railed like that unless he decided early on that he plans to make some kind of public statement about that officiating. That wasn't just a bad game by the refs, they are getting national attention for that performance in a big time top 20 match up. Unreal.
I think hes been watching film of Anthony Grant

• Haha
Reactions: pfaud001 and tydzbk
Honestly i feel like we could see this outcome coming for weeks!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ My biggest worry about a early exit in the Big Tourney is not being able to count on Petty! When your most explosive offensive weapon is as hit or miss as Petty and it forces guys like Herb to try and score more which isnt his game! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Hope we learn to guard Big teams and score on them before the Tourney! O and as far as the refs go.......I mean where do i begin! This has been my biggest gripe for the better part of 20 years, SEC to me is the worst conference when it comes to beating road teams for no other reason than being the road teams!

I think hes been watching film of Anthony Grant
He’s gotten T’d up twice as many times in two years than Grant and AJ did in their tenure. He works the refs as much as any coach in the SEC. His T last game nearly cost them the game so I’m sure he’s being more selective. I wouldn’t ever question Oat’s tenacity

He’s gotten T’d up twice as many times in two years than Grant and AJ did in their tenure. He works the refs as much as any coach in the SEC. His T last game nearly cost them the game so I’m sure he’s being more selective. I wouldn’t ever question Oat’s tenacity
I just did an he should have been teed up tonight should not fall into the players hands

Your post is actually more an indictment on Grant and Johnson

Reactions: dleet
Herb Jones had 2 traveling calls, 3 charging calls and 4 points. Quite a night.

Reactions: KJ454
Was hoping for a little more fire from Oats in the presser.

“Well we have no control over the officiating,” Oats said. “So if you’re going to worry about stuff you have no control over and you’re not very good at the stuff you do have control over and we weren’t very good at that stuff tonight. We have to quit worrying about the officiating. They’re going to officiate the game the way they’re going to officiate it and we’ve got to worry about what we can control and we have to do a better job of that.”

Oats pointed to the Tide’s subpar 3-point shooting as a factor as the visitors went 4-for-16 from long range after halftime.

The disparity in foul shots, however, was uncommonly high.

What did Oats think of that?

“I’m not trying to give any money back to anybody but I’m not going to talk too much about it,” Oats said, referencing the potential fines he could receive from the SEC for criticizing officials. “But part of it is, I mean, we were fouling some. We have to move our feet and get into position. We’ve got to try to not foul on 3-point shooters.

The reason I was surprised that he did not get T'd is because of the tenacity we're used to seeing from him. His comment from the presser is very telling though. Frustrating that players get ejected and coaches get fined for saying refs did bad but nothing at all happens to the refs when they actually are bad

Well we have no control over the officiating,” Oats said. “So if you’re going to worry about stuff you have no control over and you’re not very good at the stuff you do have control over and we weren’t very good at that stuff tonight. We have to quit worrying about the officiating. They’re going to officiate the game the way they’re going to officiate it and we’ve got to worry about what we can control and we have to do a better job of that.”

He’s exactly right and I’m glad he’s not whining about the officiating. He’s got to teach the team a lesson because this terrible officiating will happen again and we must overcome it.

Moses Moody will probably flop to the ground walking to class this morning and Shows will jump out from behind a tree on the academic quad pointing at Herbert Jones for his sixth foul from over 500 miles away. Moses and others flailed and flopped like a Euro soccer player trying to draw a penalty kick and got awarded 100% of the time.
The free throw disparity was the most in a SEC game in the past decade.
Quite simply this game was null and void in my mind because the players weren't allowed to play basketball. If you need proof, look at the beginning of the 2nd half. Bama goes on a quick 7-0 run, timeout Arky. After the TO, we get 4 fouls called on us in rapid succession. It affects who we have on the floor. It affects your ability to play loose and play your game. It caused us to be out of rhythm and brick it up most of the game. It's 100% BS and that crew shouldn't come close to calling a game in the SEC tournament.
You know it's bad when a guy like Jimmy Dykes on probably 7 or 8 occasions ends up talking about the overly quick whistles.
Nate Oats should look directly at Greg Sankey and ask what the hell is going on.
I hope we get Ark again in the SEC tournament with a competent referee crew.

I just did an he should have been teed up tonight should not fall into the players hands

Your post is actually more an indictment on Grant and Johnson
There was no point in it. He and the whole team knew the officiating was bad. Throwing a tantrum only shows the players that it’s okay to do so. That’s why he didn’t. He’s not worried about officiating, he’s worried as to why his team is struggling. Bigger fish to fry than the zebras

There was no point in it. He and the whole team knew the officiating was bad. Throwing a tantrum only shows the players that it’s okay to do so. That’s why he didn’t. He’s not worried about officiating, he’s worried as to why his team is struggling. Bigger fish to fry than the zebras
I agree. The bigger problem is that two or three of our best players seem to disappear when going gets tough and the pressure is amped up.

This game was an ambush and an asswhipping that I hope our players and coaches can learn something from. They've been in a funk for weeks but have managed to keep winning because for the most part we've been playing the worst teams in the league. The Feb fade is in play we just hadn't played anyone able to take advantage of it before going to Ark. We have two games to prove it isn't happening. If we don't then we limp into a 6 seed or worse in the tournament and make an early exit and all the good momentum we built up in Jan will be all but gone.

If Bama doesn't perk up MSU will win sat but it will be a far uglier game in that MSU will slow it down and use the Ark defensive setup and bully us anywhere near the paint. They will also likely shoot about 35 to 40 free throws if we don't play with better control. If we aren't hitting about 40% or better of our 3 point shots we will lose.

I hope we win Sat and wrap up the SEC because I really don't want our season to come down to beating Au when it will be their last game of the season due to their post season ban. Pearl will throw everything at us that night knowing that their next game will be in Nov. They will come into Coleman with their hair on fire and enough juice to take anyone down.

I agree. The bigger problem is that two or three of our best players seem to disappear when going gets tough and the pressure is amped up.
I will disagree with you here. They disappeared because they were in foul trouble. Hard to do much when you are on the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT