ADVERTISEMENT

arthur kaluma

Hopefully our goat can lobby congress on keeping corporation money out of college sports. While it may be against free enterprise to limit how much a person can make( and I agree with free enterprise) this is the future of college sports. Not only will players go to colleges that offer the most NIL money but so will the best coaches. Once it is certain that a school has the best NIL and support for the program it will be hard for any great coach to turn it down. Being able to close the deal on recruiting battles with NIL money is hard to resist.It could become a problem with our young basketball coach sometime in the future. Up until NIL all a university had to do was to increase their coaches salary, but now it’s getting more complicated. So, let’s hope that Saban is successful in lobbing congress for the future of college sports.

Hopefully our goat can lobby congress on keeping corporation money out of college sports. While it may be against free enterprise to limit how much a person can make( and I agree with free enterprise) this is the future of college sports. Not only will players go to colleges that offer the most NIL money but so will the best coaches. Once it is certain that a school has the best NIL and support for the program it will be hard for any great coach to turn it down. Being able to close the deal on recruiting battles with NIL money is hard to resist.It could become a problem with our young basketball coach sometime in the future. Up until NIL all a university had to do was to increase their coaches salary, but now it’s getting more complicated. So, let’s hope that Saban is successful in lobbing congress for the future of college sports.
The genie is out of the bottle. There is no going back. If you think our federal Congress is going to get involved and help, then you have not been paying attention the last decade and a 1/2. They will only makes things even worse. It is even a much, much bigger mess than I ever thought it would be when they went down this path, and I hate to tell anyone, but it will only get worse. Their best chance now, imop, is to disassociate themselves “technically” with the universities, and sign contracts like pro athletes. Due to the difference in $ made by D1 universities across the board, they can’t even have an equitable profit sharing arrangement, so I am not sure there is much hope.

Last edited:
The genie is out of the bottle. There is no going back. If you think our federal Congress is going to get involved and help, then you have not been paying attention the last decade and a 1/2. They will only makes things even worse. It is even a much, much bigger mess than I ever thought it would be when they went down this path, and I hate to tell anyone, but it will only get worse. Their best chance now, imop, is to disassociate themselves “technically” with the universities, and sign contracts like pro athletes. Due to the difference in $ made by D1 universities across the board, they can’t even have an equitable profit sharing arrangement, so I am not sure there is much hope.
I have been paying attention for the last 30 years so you are probably right. I was just hoping with the lobbying power of the goat it could make a difference.

Reactions: bet9

How exactly is it is a mess? People are getting rich selling pictures of their feet online, I don't see how someone getting paid for their skills is so terrible.

Reactions: uagolffan
How exactly is it is a mess? People are getting rich selling pictures of their feet online, I don't see how someone getting paid for their skills is so terrible.
The $ part is the least issue. For example, take our BB team. We had 13 scholarship players last year, with only two who exhausted their eligibility, and we are returning 4. The year prior was similar. If I was not on this site, or the internet still didn’t exist, I wouldn’t even know who was on the team from one season to the next. We are into the 2nd week of June, and we still don’t even know who the last 2-3 players are going to be on our team. Players that we are expecting to be starters, not end of the bench players. This is happening to all the teams. I am not trying to hinder the players, but I can’t imagine that anyone, outside of some of them, think this is a better product, or even close to the same, vs what we had previously. I, personally, consider that a big ole mess, and I think a large majority would concur.

If I was not on this site, or the internet still didn’t exist, I wouldn’t even know who was on the team from one season to the next. We are into the 2nd week of June, and we still don’t even know who the last 2-3 players are going to be on our team.
^^^ this. And this is not just Bama's bball program. Its plenty of others as well.

If we did not have this site, or the internet didn’t exist, You would know who was on the team from one season to the next. We would be in the 2nd week of June, and we would know who the last 2-3 players on our team.

It’s not a problem in professional sports. I’m just not interested in professional sports.

Reactions: bet9 and vegas man
Its not the end of the world....but you can see it from there.
If you hate grass and trees.. you'll love Lubbock
Before I went to Arizona, I thought Texas was the ugliest place I had ever seen. As a kid spending time in North Texas in the summer we would go walking across the Red River and would never get our feet wet or muddy. When Texans called Oklahoma the asshole of the World, I reminded them that the good Lord pointed the hole directly at Texas. A friend said to me, let’s go to the woods and hunt. When we got there I asked his where the trees were?

It’s not a problem in professional sports. I’m just not interested in professional sports.

Amateurism is a made up concept. If you think about it logically, everything people do is either a hobby or a professional endeavor. Sometimes things are even both. No one does accounting for the love of accounting. Some people play pickup basketball for the love of basketball, but only because they're not good enough to get paid. So putting aside the idea of collegiate sports or NIL, would you say Brandon millers basketball career is more of a professional endeavor or a hobby he's doing in his free time?

Amateurism is a made up concept. If you think about it logically, everything people do is either a hobby or a professional endeavor. Sometimes things are even both. No one does accounting for the love of accounting. Some people play pickup basketball for the love of basketball, but only because they're not good enough to get paid. So putting aside the idea of collegiate sports or NIL, would you say Brandon millers basketball career is more of a professional endeavor or a hobby he's doing in his free time?
I see your point. But, I’m still not interested in over paid players in professional sports. It maybe something you like, but I don’t have any interest in. I enjoy watching recruiting and then follow these young men in chasing a dream. I doing see your point, but respectfully disagree.

I see your point. But, I’m still not interested in over paid players in professional sports. It maybe something you like, but I don’t have any interest in. I enjoy watching recruiting and then follow these young men in chasing a dream. I doing see your point, but respectfully disagree.

They're still being recruited and chasing their dream. Nothing has changed. Did you hate watching Bryce Young and Brandon miller this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT