ADVERTISEMENT

Been an official for 20 years!

sheff1981

All American
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2012
That is probably the worst officiated game I’ve ever seen! Big game with lots of hype and the refs stole the game away! Made it about them selves. Absolutely pathetic! 50 damn team fouls called in the game. Arkansas shot 35 plus more free throws. They called a foul every 50 plus seconds in the game! Jus horrendous game management by them a d they should be suspended! I’m glad petty got tossed, cause I would’ve to! Absolutely a complete shit show! The

That is probably the worst officiated game I’ve ever seen! Big game with lots of hype and the refs stole the game away! Made it about them selves. Absolutely pathetic! 50 damn team fouls called in the game. Arkansas shot 35 plus more free throws. They called a foul every 50 plus seconds in the game! Jus horrendous game management by them a d they should be suspended! I’m glad petty got tossed, cause I would’ve to! Absolutely a complete shit show! The

do u really blame Petty? Everyone knew what was going on. Those guys couldn’t make a move without them calling a foul. I guess the SEC got their Walmart donation.

Last edited:
Oats should of got tossed before that ever happened.

What also bugs me is the way Arkansas acted after the game. They know the refs helped them. The way they were celebrating was over the top especially under those circumstance. I wonder how much money the refs were bonused?

Exactly OP. We had no chance to get in our rhythm because the refs controlled this game from start to finish. When we had a quick 7-0 spurt to start the 2nd half, they promptly called 4 fouls on us in succession. No doubt we could have shot the ball a lot better, but a lot of those misses are tied to the completely discombobulated game the refs set up. I thought TV Teddy Valentine was bad, but Doug Shows is the new leader in the clubhouse. This also isn't his first example of doing something like this in a game, this was just the most egregious.
Wait...I think Moses Moody just slightly tripped on the sidewalk on his way to class this morning and they assessed a sixth foul on Herbert.

Oats should have probably made a point to let them know they suck and joined Petty. We may have lost the game but some of those calls were horrific. Couple offensive foul calls on us were obvious blocks with defender never set or still sliding. Announcers were pissing me off too. Just a shitty game overall led by the officiating crew that made the game hard to watch no matter who won.

The bad officiating and watching Arky alum Jimmy Dykes on the call for ESPN made the game damn near unwatchable. I think Dykes is one of the best in the business, but watching him try to justify the non foul calls was just pathetic. My son was in the other room doing homework and listening to the TV. He came in the room during first half when we were down by 3, and said from the way the announcers were calling the game he thought we were down by 20.

My philosophy on officiating: I understand missing a foul call because you didn’t see it. For example: a guy gets slapped on the arm on his way to the basket, but you didn’t see it. You’re not going to see everything.
What I’ll never understand, however, is blowing the whistle when no foul was committed. I’ll give two examples last night: 1. In the first minute of the game petty got a steal and fastbreak. He lost the ball on his way up for the layup and Vanover was called for the foul. There was zero contact... petty lost the ball on his own. But, the ref blew the whistle because he assumed petty was fouled.
2. in the last minute of the game when petty was ejected he and Ellis had Moody in a trap and didn’t touch him. Moody knew he was stuck and if he fell down he would get the whistle.
I’ll never understand calling someone for a foul when there was no contact. It has to mean you just made up the foul in your mind.

My philosophy on officiating: I understand missing a foul call because you didn’t see it. For example: a guy gets slapped on the arm on his way to the basket, but you didn’t see it. You’re not going to see everything.
What I’ll never understand, however, is blowing the whistle when no foul was committed. I’ll give two examples last night: 1. In the first minute of the game petty got a steal and fastbreak. He lost the ball on his way up for the layup and Vanover was called for the foul. There was zero contact... petty lost the ball on his own. But, the ref blew the whistle because he assumed petty was fouled.
2. in the last minute of the game when petty was ejected he and Ellis had Moody in a trap and didn’t touch him. Moody knew he was stuck and if he fell down he would get the whistle.
I’ll never understand calling someone for a foul when there was no contact. It has to mean you just made up the foul in your mind.
And that flop at the end was the tipping point for Petty. He knew he didn’t touch him... and it was time for someone to get tossed. It should have been Oats.

That’s why so pissed, one thing to miss some calls here and there, but these refs controlled the game the whole night! 50 fouls! 50! That means the players didn’t control the game!

Reactions: Codie B
I refuse to blame officials. I told myself even for this one.......43 ft's to 8.......
Agree, it’s so “Auburn” to bitch about offials EVERY DAMN GAME. Was it bad last night, hell yes, but it did not determine the outcome in my opinion. Doug Shows is always a shit show, terrible both ways, but it did look like in the second half he was trying to prove a point about something. I don’t put as much stock in the free throw desparity as some because they shot 14 ( I believe) free throws in the final 1:45 on clock stopping and technical fouls and naturally when one team attacks the rim they are going to get more calls than the team that just fires up threes all game. With that said it was very disappointing that the officials did not let the two best teams in the SEC play the game. As someone else pointed out they made the game about themselves.
ROLL TIDE!!!!

Should've played better, buy MY GOD, did these clowns totally disrupt any flow this game could've possibly had? Aside from how we played, that game was hard to watch.

I also think the way the game was called had some impact on how we played on D. I've been in a game where fouls were being called nearly every possession, and you ultimately were afraid to get within 6 feet of someone while on D.

This was the first game all season where I felt the home team got some real home cooking. Rupp felt positively neutral compared to last night. But I don't think the officials were anything other than incompetent and determined to direct the flow of the game. Shows sucks but he doesn't seem to really hurt us (an equal opportunity foul calling machine) unless we're playing at Rupp or Bud Walton or down at the barn. Last night he as putting on a show.

Oats I thought should have gotten a tech mid way through the first half for losing his shit over the calls and then taken an early shower when the official redirected the flow of the game early in the second half. I thought at around 12 minutes to go in the game the team really needed to feel like at least someone in the gym was looking out for them.

That being said, if we make shots and don't hurt ourselves it wouldn't have mattered. I also thought we tried to play too fast and it hurt us a few times with crazy quick 3 point shots and reckless fouls.

I've been told a few times that officials tend to favor the team that looks like they know what they're doing and is willing to out work the other team to follow through on that. Ark was ready for that ambush and was playing at about about 110% of their capabilities and IMO the officials fed off that when compared to our being half a step slow to everything.

Anticipation foul calls are the worst. The official decides seconds before the event "this is probably going to be a foul" then as soon as the action leads to where he assumes a foul is going to happen he calls it anyway even if it doesn't actually happen. That is one of the little things that drive me nuts about officiating in any game. Even worse in football when a ref calls holding and when pressed for why it was holding they say "there's no way you could have made that block without holding".

1.) In Basketball the SEC Office is not in charge of Basketball Officials. The SEC does not have ii's own officials, as the officials are regional and may call a SunBelt game on Monday, ACC on Tuesday and an SEC on Wed. That being said, Shows should be put out to pasture. He seems to have a bad night every time I see him call a game, regardless of league.

2.) The announcers quietly inferred that the officials were having a bad night in the first half and that they should regroup at halftime.

3.) The Officials blew three calls on Petty, no doubt. The officials did not commit a stupid foul on the three point shooter as the clock was expiring. The officials did not try to drive the lane into an opposing player three times. The official did not commit a shove of the opposing player on an entry pass. The officials did not leave their feet three times to make errant passes. The officials did not have Gary in the corner taking a three point shot. The officials did not go 0-9 on three point shots like Reese, Gary and Ellis. The officials did not go 26 of 69 from the field and 15 of 36 inside of three feet from the basket, shooting 37% for the game.

4.) Oats cannot take the shots for the team, as only the players are allowed to shoot.

5.) The officials did not commit 6 traveling violations, each one being legitimate.

6.) Alabama will not win many games where Shackelford only plays 22 minutes.

As a player you must adapt to the way the officials are calling the game, and Alabama did not do that adjustment Herbert Jones has been picking up stupid fouls the last two weeks, much like in his first two years at Bama. We cannot win a game where Petty and Shakelford only score 17 points and Petty goes 2-5 on layups, even though he is 2-3 from 3.

As a former Official, I agree with the OP, that this was a horribly called game as we have come to expect every time we see this crew. The game was in no way called in the manner of other SEC games this season. Doug Shows is the worst Official to call SEC games and he would always be on my non approved list. Alabama lost the game, because we took 15 more shots than Arkansas and only made one more. A lot of those fouls were legitimate calls. Primo, Ellis, Reese, and Petty need to pick up their games, back to January levels. Quinerly needs to be the point and he needs to take better care of the ball. Herbert Jones is to valuable to the team to be driving the ball to the basket and getting three charging fouls a game.

1.) In Basketball the SEC Office is not in charge of Basketball Officials. The SEC does not have ii's own officials, as the officials are regional and may call a SunBelt game on Monday, ACC on Tuesday and an SEC on Wed. That being said, Shows should be put out to pasture. He seems to have a bad night every time I see him call a game, regardless of league.

2.) The announcers quietly inferred that the officials were having a bad night in the first half and that they should regroup at halftime.

3.) The Officials blew three calls on Petty, no doubt. The officials did not commit a stupid foul on the three point shooter as the clock was expiring. The officials did not try to drive the lane into an opposing player three times. The official did not commit a shove of the opposing player on an entry pass. The officials did not leave their feet three times to make errant passes. The officials did not have Gary in the corner taking a three point shot. The officials did not go 0-9 on three point shots like Reese, Gary and Ellis. The officials did not go 26 of 69 from the field and 15 of 36 inside of three feet from the basket, shooting 37% for the game.

4.) Oats cannot take the shots for the team, as only the players are allowed to shoot.

5.) The officials did not commit 6 traveling violations, each one being legitimate.

As a player you must adapt to the way the officials are calling the game, and Alabama did not do that adjustment Herbert Jones has been picking up stupid fouls the last two weeks, much like in his first two years at Bama. We cannot win a game where Petty and Shakelford only score 17 points and Petty goes 2-5 on layups, even though he is 2-3 from 3.

As a former Official, I agree with the OP, that this was a horribly called game as we have come to expect every time we see this crew. The game was in no way called in the manner of other SEC games this season. Doug Shows is the worst Official to call SEC games and he would always be on my non approved list. Alabama lost the game, because we took 15 more shots than Arkansas and only made one more. A lot of those fouls were legitimate calls. Primo, Ellis, Reese, and Petty need to pick up their games, back to January levels. Quinerly needs to be the point and he needs to take better care of the ball. Herbert Jones is to valuable to the team to be driving the ball to the basket and getting three charging fouls a game.
Absolutely agree, except after everything else that had happened, I wasn't feeling that sidestep and shoot travel on Petty. One of a few calls that were bs/petty and declarations that we would not overcome the whistle in this one.

Reactions: PlaidandParquet

Agree with all except number 5. Two of the travels on Herb were absolute garbage. Particularly the one where he head faked and drove from the perimeter because he went out of his way to put the ball on the floor before picking up his pivot foot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT