ADVERTISEMENT

Comments Saban made last night on NIL

Vaughnbama

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2009
Saban commented on NIL last night in Montgomery. Basically said NIL was suppose to be about people like Bryce Young making money from trail commercials, like Nissan and Dr. Pepper. It was never suppose to be used for recruiting tools and buying players. The collectives paying large sums for football players was not what NIL was about.

His big comment was, “Does anyone remember the starting Right Guard on the 2021 Crimson Tide? “. Of course without looking it up 90% of you cannot answer the question. Of course Wesley Britt was on the podium and laughed. He said your two US Senators are sitting right there, they need to do something about the problem. The two US Senators then promptly vanished, I assume for a valid reason, but you know what assume means. You make an ass out of u and me. Saban basically said the uncontrolled NIL will destroy the non revenue Olympic sports in college athletics. My comment: Think about college football with only the 30 colleges and universities that make money from college sports, because that is where things are headed. College sports were meant to be extra curricula activities for students, not multi million dollar businesses. Somewhere between 1980 and 2010 the money spent on college sports got out of control and college sports became big business. In 1989 the head football coach at Alabama left for Kentucky, in part because Alabama would not match Kentucky’s salary of $600,000 a year. Now mediocre head coaches are getting paid $6 million a year. I remember when Coach Perkins left Alabama for Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay offered on the third try $7,2 million for five years, about $1.4 a year.

The NIL was never meant to be a source of buying players, but was to allow just compensation for the use of name image and likeness.

Do players deserve some compensation? Without a doubt; however, the NIL as presently operated will destroy the game. Most schools are operating at a loss eat the present time. It would not shock me to see over half the schools in FBS drop college football and basketball in the next ten years.

Players should be compensated; however, it must be controlled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News