ADVERTISEMENT

Defense still wins championships

JMusso72

All American
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2023
I understand that hard core Alabama basketball fan don’t want to compare basketball with football, but let’s take a look. This year one of the biggest factors of the success of this team was rebounds. Just playing great defense. Everyone is looking for the next transfer based on what they can bring offensively. I’m hoping than Oats brings in coaches and players that are able to contribute to the defensive side of the ball. I still believe that defense wins the championship verse offenses. Does matter which sport.

Reactions: OatsMeal and xcop
I understand that hard core Alabama basketball fan don’t want to compare basketball with football, but let’s take a look. This year one of the biggest factors of the success of this team was rebounds. Just playing great defense. Everyone is looking for the next transfer based on what they can bring offensively. I’m hoping than Oats brings in coaches and players that are able to contribute to the defensive side of the ball. I still believe that defense wins the championship verse offenses. Does matter which sport.
Defense had us in the San Diego state game, down 1 with a minute left, where we played our worst offensive game of the year. It always travels.

On that point, defense got San Diego state to the championship game

Our defense was really good overall last year and our rebounding was much improved from the previous year. Not hitting our shots from the field and the line when we needed them did us in, along with the off court distractions. Oats has continually stressed the defensive side of the ball throughout his career As do other coaches that run that sort of offense. If it were up to him he would love offense generated off of defensIve steals.

yawn........

Our defense was really good overall last year and our rebounding was much improved from the previous year. Not hitting our shots from the field and the line when we needed them did us in, along with the off court distractions. Oats has continually stressed the defensive side of the ball throughout his career As do other coaches that run that sort of offense. If it were up to him he would love offense generated off of defensIve steals.
Totally agree and all three of Oates teams here at Bama have had very, very good defenses. Not really getting the OP's point, but l'm a little dense.

The defensive coach has moved on. Hoping Oats replaces him with a equally good defensive coach.
Usually, you pick an assistant that’s fit’s your basketball philosophy. Coaching defense in basketball is not a mystery. Getting players to be aggressive and execute that philosophy is another story.

Reactions: tomg505
Usually, you pick an assistant that’s fit’s your basketball philosophy. Coaching defense in basketball is not a mystery. Getting players to execute that philosophy is another story.
Well that’s a hard one to argue against. I will say this This years team executed defense philosophy better than last year team. Both teams had the same coach so good point.

Reactions: bet9
Oats made Charlie Henry. Oats is all defense before offense. You don’t defend, you don’t play. We won’t change that just bc coach Henry left.
Great point! Oats' coaching had a lot to do with the development and advancement of his three assistants, two of which had been with him for a long time. There is one more hire to go, but it looks to me like his has done a great job of reloading. I hear that he is very exited about it.

Great point! Oats' coaching had a lot to do with the development and advancement of his three assistants, two of which had been with him for a long time. There is one more hire to go, but it looks to me like his has done a great job of reloading. I hear that he is very exited about it.
Yes sir. Preston Murphy from Creighton is believed to be the final assistant. His show cause penalty expires in June, and he is expected to be formally announced then.

Yes sir. Preston Murphy from Creighton is believed to be the final assistant. His show cause penalty expires in June, and he is expected to be formally announced then.
How a head coach handles coaching turnover is a huge factor to his program. It looks like Oats is acing his first test. Now we just need to finish roster development. Harper has not "spilled any beans" but from reading between the lines about prospects, I get the feeling that Nate feels pretty good about our chances.

Reactions: OatsMeal and bet9
This forum is the only source I have on Alabama basketball news. There is not much information on YouTube. Can anyone recommend other sites for information on Alabama basketball?

Reactions: bet9
This forum is the only source I have on Alabama basketball news. There is not much information on YouTube. Can anyone recommend other sites for information on Alabama basketball?
It's the off season! What more do expect? It's going to be slow. You might check Twitter.

It's the off season! What more do expect? It's going to be slow. You might check Twitter.
Well I expect to be able to follow basketball with at least some information. It’s not that hard to find information about Alabama football during the off season. Cat

There is a lot of info if you look down the thread and past the posts about us needing to learn how to shoot FTs and play defense.

He is certainly a great recruiter and l hope we get him. l think you are correct by the way, and that is probably why the other spot has not been filled.

There is a lot of info if you look down the thread and past the posts about us needing to learn how to shoot FTs and play defense
Yes those are all true but I would like to have information on recruiting. Anyone want to chime in on why we had so much trouble getting to ball inbounds. Bediako was always open. Seems a high pass to him would have been easy.

Yes those are all true but I would like to have information on recruiting. Anyone want to chime in on why we had so much trouble getting to ball inbounds. Bediako was always open. Seems a high pass to him would have been easy.
You obviously wasn’t around during the the CMG days. Now I just think you’re trolling.

• Haha
Reactions: bet9 and tomg505
Last years roster development was tremendous. Few of us had expectations that we could do what we did while starting so many freshmen. But that team is gone and we are heading into a new year are in a waiting mode to get the coaches and team into place.
A. From those in NBA process.
B Disclosure of our last assistant.
C Filling of our last two slots.
These are not unrelated. It will take time to play out.
But I hear Oats has worked his ass off and is very positive about where we stand.

You obviously wasn’t around during the the CMG days. Now I just think you’re trolling.
I wasn’t a fan during the CNG days, but I’m not trolling. I care about Alabama basketball & football. I don’t care at all about baseball.

I’m guessing our recruiting mods are experiencing some difficulty verifying info because of the staff turnover. I know it’s off season but when you have a good thing going you want info throughout the year, or at least I do. Maybe when we get the 3rd assistant on board more info will be available.

Reactions: bet9 and JMusso72
Well I’ve updated when we offer or when guys visit as they happen. It’s the dead period right now so there’s nothing that is/can be happening.

They’re still recruiting for 2023, so 2024 has been kinda slow so far. Plus with new assistants it takes time. When they hire the 3rd assistant, I can promise you it’ll take off quick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT