ADVERTISEMENT

February 6 Tournament Outlook

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
If you’re here looking for me to say they’re not going to make the tournament or nothing but negativity, go to another thread. Just realistic outlook here.

Alabama fell to 14-9 on the season and 4-6 in the SEC. Their NET ranking stayed the same at 23 after the loss to #4 UK last night.

Alabama still has the #1 NET Strength of Schedule in the country and is 6-6 in Quadrant 1 games. The fact they’ve played 12 quad 1 games and 0 quad 4 games tells you all you need to know about their schedule. They’re 2-1 in Q2 and 6-2 in Q3 games.

Looking at the upcoming schedule, Alabama can win/loss any of these games. The next 3 are: @ Ole Miss, vs Arkansas, vs Miss St. Ole Miss just lost their best player, Arkansas is playing great basketball, and Miss St is solid. That 3 game stretch could make or break them. Go 2-1 or better, and they’re good. Go 1-2 or worse and there’s trouble heading into Rupp.

Right now based off KenPom projected results, Alabama is projected to be 20-11 with losses to UK and LSU on the road. That would be good enough for a 4/5 seed in the tournament. I think they’ll finish around 18-13 or 19-12 which would be about a 6/7 seed. Unless they just bomb out and lose 6 of 8 or something, they’ll be in the tournament. We’ve seen a collapse like that before so let’s hope that doesn’t happen.

It's definitely the tipping point in the season. We have to find a way to win the next 3. Basically we need to win the road games at Miss and Vandy (house of horrors for Bama teams) and hold serve at home. That's 6 wins. Nothing guaranteed though. The Miss game really decides a lot for how scary the season gets as we head to March. A loss there and it gets pretty depressing for post season hopes.

Hard to see this team winning at Vandy and at home vs Arkansas which has won 8 straight. Home wins vs SC, Miss St and the Aggies should be obtainable.
But I agree- kind of feels like the season is on the line at Ole Miss this week. A must win.

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
The ole miss game is huge… it’s not make or break for post season at all but it’s going to tell us what this team is made of. If we go and look like we did at Georgia in this spot…. It’s a really bad sign for the rest of the year. If we show up and play well with high energy and tough out a road win I will feel really good about the rest of the season. It’s a huge swing of momentum moment for this team

Yall stop trying to pump this team up! Yall putting a lot of faith in this team to just go out and win the games they are suppose to win! This team will not win all these games to end the season! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ 18-13 is probably the ceiling!

Yall stop trying to pump this team up! Yall putting a lot of faith in this team to just go out and win the games they are suppose to win! This team will not win all these games to end the season! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ 18-13 is probably the ceiling!
18-13 is probably my pick… and it will do the trick but won’t exactly leave me feeling good about any tournament success. Still bouncing back from the uga game with a Baylor win was a good sign then we played 2 teams that were just better than us. We see what this team is made of Wednesday

Reactions: jmillerbama
Well geez, guess they might as well not even show up!
Why you mad? These are cold hard facts! They never put a complete game together! The days they shoot decent.....they dont rebound or play defense! The games they try to play tough and strong they get called for tons of fouls and cant throw it in the ocean! They've had attitude and suspension problems......starters thinking about transferring to start the season......i mean what the hell is really going on in this weak ass minded locker room? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Reactions: frazor
Why you mad? These are cold hard facts! They never put a complete game together! The days they shoot decent.....they dont rebound or play defense! The games they try to play tough and strong they get called for tons of fouls and cant throw it in the ocean! They've had attitude and suspension problems......starters thinking about transferring to start the season......i mean what the hell is really going on in this weak ass minded locker room? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I guess Arkansas fans should have given up on their team after they started out terrible. Now they have won 9 straight. I am sure you are a good fan. It seems that you like very little when things are good, but you hate a lot when things are bad. And things aren’t even bad.

The irony in this, is there's tons of "weak ass minded.." fans out there like you. Calling out the team for being soft when your fandom is just as soft. Panic and quit at any sight of adversity this team faces.

They haven't played a complete game? Baylor? Gonzaga? This team is plenty capable of being good. Now, if they stumble in the next couple of games there's cause for concern, but that's not a reality yet. This is basketball, not football. There's ups and downs, peaks and valleys. It's a strange game at times. If we shoot just below our average on Saturday, we win easily. The effort was there with the defense and rebounding. I took a lot of crap earlier this year for still believing in the Braves during July/August, and look what happened. You never know what's going to happen. This group was dead in the water in December last year to a lot of you and wound up making a sweet 16 run.

In the past year or two I remember reading about a drill Oats has us do pregame or in practice where the team hoists up a ridiculous amount of threes in a certain amount of time, and charts how we do and there are records kept. Are we still doing this drill?
Seems like the threes have to start falling more often.

In the past year or two I remember reading about a drill Oats has us do pregame or in practice where the team hoists up a ridiculous amount of threes in a certain amount of time, and charts how we do and there are records kept. Are we still doing this drill?
Seems like the threes have to start falling more often.
I have wondered the exact same thing. My guess is it's a great story when the team hits 91 in 5 minutes. Not so much when they hit 12 in 5 minutes. Not sure I'd let this team do that drill for their own sanity.

Reactions: jtr4dad
I guess Arkansas fans should have given up on their team after they started out terrible. Now they have won 9 straight. I am sure you are a good fan. It seems that you like very little when things are good, but you hate a lot when things are bad. And things aren’t even bad.
Forgive me for feeling like everytime we hype Bama basketball they shit the bed! Lets see I remember being at the Bama vs. Auburn game somewhere around 2001 when we were #1 in the country and got blown out at Auburn and ended the season god awful and havent sniffed that type of ranking since!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I just call it like i see it! I love Coach Oats and think he's the best hire we've made since Godfrey! But when a coach has the confidence/arrogance of Oats and talks shit about guys like coack K.....you better F'n be able to back it up and he's proving that when his 1 trick pony offense doesnt work, he doesnt know how to adjust which is a serious issue!

The irony in this, is there's tons of "weak ass minded.." fans out there like you. Calling out the team for being soft when your fandom is just as soft. Panic and quit at any sight of adversity this team faces.

They haven't played a complete game? Baylor? Gonzaga? This team is plenty capable of being good. Now, if they stumble in the next couple of games there's cause for concern, but that's not a reality yet. This is basketball, not football. There's ups and downs, peaks and valleys. It's a strange game at times. If we shoot just below our average on Saturday, we win easily. The effort was there with the defense and rebounding. I took a lot of crap earlier this year for still believing in the Braves during July/August, and look what happened. You never know what's going to happen. This group was dead in the water in December last year to a lot of you and wound up making a sweet 16 run.
Its funny how all of my comments are directed at the team and their stats.......no my stats their stats, you know the ones THEY created! While people like you attack my take which is basedbof facts, numbers, stats that this team created! This difference between us is i take the emotion of being a bama fan out of my assessment! And yall get mad at us that ask the tough questions that your afraid to bring up! Like how we can go to the sweet 16 last year which was better results than Auburn.....and yet we are one of the worst SEC teams (record wise) and they are killing everyone with 4 first year transfers, and our transfers look like high school players! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️💀💀 But yet I'm being to "hard" on these players and coach oats! Ask Saban what makes a championship team.......it aint showing up all hyped against Baylor/Gonzaga.......its beating the dog shit out of the Georgia/Iona/Missouri type teams that they have lost too! I did pleanty of hyping/congratulating this team last year and want to do that even more this year and should've been able too! And this team (if they'll get their head out their ass) can make a nice run, but im not sugar coating what they've done this year! 300+ ranking in 3s and probably not much better in FTs and Rebounding! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The ole miss game is huge… it’s not make or break for post season at all but it’s going to tell us what this team is made of. If we go and look like we did at Georgia in this spot…. It’s a really bad sign for the rest of the year. If we show up and play well with high energy and tough out a road win I will feel really good about the rest of the season. It’s a huge swing of momentum moment for this team
They aren’t very good at must win SEC games. They are so emotional now a small turn in the game where they go down 5-6 points and I am not sure if they can rebound. With leaders like last years they could overcome a run by the opponent but this team doesn’t seem to have the will at times. If we can go 2-1 over the next 3 games, I feel like we will be in the tourney.

Reactions: bet9
Those are NOT facts, just your opinion and lord, who knows what that's worth

Reactions: CrmsnTusk4
We will start the turnaround tonight. I believe we will hit double digit three’s and win by 11.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Reactions: bet9 and pfaud001
Forgive me for feeling like everytime we hype Bama basketball they shit the bed! Lets see I remember being at the Bama vs. Auburn game somewhere around 2001 when we were #1 in the country and got blown out at Auburn and ended the season god awful and havent sniffed that type of ranking since!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I just call it like i see it! I love Coach Oats and think he's the best hire we've made since Godfrey! But when a coach has the confidence/arrogance of Oats and talks shit about guys like coack K.....you better F'n be able to back it up and he's proving that when his 1 trick pony offense doesnt work, he doesnt know how to adjust which is a serious issue!
I know you are a good fan. I agree Oats is cocky, but I like that. You have to have confidence if you are going to coach at Alabama. He promotes the program and I enjoy what he has built. I like the style of basketball and I am willing to give him time to get it going again. I think he will right the ship.

I know you are a good fan. I agree Oats is cocky, but I like that. You have to have confidence if you are going to coach at Alabama. He promotes the program and I enjoy what he has built. I like the style of basketball and I am willing to give him time to get it going again. I think he will right the ship.
We can agree on this for sure!💪🏽💪🏿💪

Reactions: pfaud001 and budog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT