ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops 🏀 FINAL THOUGHTS on Alabama’s Season

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
I am just waking up in Phoenix where I got to witness Alabama play in its first Final Four game in history. I thought it was an incredible game and as valiant of an effort as you could hope for. They didn’t get punked like Illinois or Northwestern did. They were tied with 10 minutes left, as despite a massive talent disparity, gave UConn fits for 35 minutes. They just went cold shooting for a four minute stretch and that was is.

UConn is as elite of a team as you’ll see in college basketball. They have two lottery picks, and the other three starters will get drafted this season as well. They’re experienced, talented, and extremely disciplined. I thought Bama had a great gameplan and majority of it worked, but UConn made a ton of plays. Castle was given the green light to shoot, and he made a couple, but his play making ability is why he is a solidified top 10 pick. Clingan is unstoppable (that Grant dunk tho!), and the other 3 play their roles so well.

Sears played arguably his best game in an Alabama uniform last night given the circumstances. He was lights out. Grant Nelson played his best game in an Alabama uniform. As gutsy or a performance as you’ll see from him. Estrada, Griffen, Wrightsell all played their roles so well. It was about as good of a game that Alabama could play considering their shooting from 3, the paint, not turning it over that much, and close to even on the boards. UConn is just a machine.

So what next? Alabama players have decisions to make. Will Sears go pro? Will Nelson go pro? Will other guys transfer? All this will be discussed in the next week or two. I personally think both Nelson and Sears are gone, just my gut feeling. I think Wague and Cosby will transfer. I can see Pringle transferring, but I think he may stay one final year. Other than that, you’ll likely have the rest of the roster back, unless someone like Walters or Parker leaves which can happen.

It’ll be a time of reflection this week and then could see decisions made in two weeks of what will happen. Regardless, these guys deserve to be celebrated for a long, long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News