ADVERTISEMENT

Freddy Dilione Update

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
I had put in a futurecast for Dilione to Alabama over a week ago. At the time it seemed very likely he was going to make a decision that week and Alabama was going to be the pick.

However the longer it went without a decision, the more I felt it may be a different school. I woke up this morning with people saying things have changed and to expect a decision to Tennessee. Dilione is one of my favorite prospects in this class and seemed like Alabama was in the drivers seat, but with NIL and other factors involved you can never tell

I had put in a futurecast for Dilione to Alabama over a week ago. At the time it seemed very likely he was going to make a decision that week and Alabama was going to be the pick.

However the longer it went without a decision, the more I felt it may be a different school. I woke up this morning with people saying things have changed and to expect a decision to Tennessee. Dilione is one of my favorite prospects in this class and seemed like Alabama was in the drivers seat, but with NIL and other factors involved you can never tell
with bradley, sears, burnett, and griffin at guard, depth might be hurting us on this one.

Reactions: lainey2020
This is not good news. I've been concerned about this year's recruiting class for awhile now. We only have one commit, and he is ranked lower than any member of last year's class. For whatever reason, we just haven't gained traction with blue chip players like we did last year. We signed Bradley and Miller, and were in the final 2 for Jarace Walker. I had read over the weekend that we were perceived to be in good shape for Dilione, and was hoping that a commitment from him might be imminent and perhaps be the start of a little momentum on the recruiting trail. If he goes to Tennessee will that have any effect on Cosby?

Reactions: lainey2020
The NCAA needs to make it clear where it stands with NIL inducements for recruiting. They've made comments to the effect of schools can't use NIL as a way to attract a recruit but if they never do anything about it then whoever has the most money to offer will win most of these battles. It's one thing for a kid to be able to profit from his name image and/or likeness being used but another entirely for a kid to be told what they can get but only on the condition they sign with a specific school.

I fear Bama bball recruiting will be crippled by the way this game will be played if it isn't given some stern guardrails. Most of our money will go to football. Contrary to some assumptions, the Bama booster base doesn't have nearly the cash readily available that some schools will have. There just isn't a lot of booster money for sports other than football.

Reactions: lainey2020 and xcop
The NCAA needs to make it clear where it stands with NIL inducements for recruiting. They've made comments to the effect of schools can't use NIL as a way to attract a recruit but if they never do anything about it then whoever has the most money to offer will win most of these battles. It's one thing for a kid to be able to profit from his name image and/or likeness being used but another entirely for a kid to be told what they can get but only on the condition they sign with a specific school.

I fear Bama bball recruiting will be crippled by the way this game will be played if it isn't given some stern guardrails. Most of our money will go to football. Contrary to some assumptions, the Bama booster base doesn't have nearly the cash readily available that some schools will have. There just isn't a lot of booster money for sports other than football.
Problem is everytime the NCAA tries to make or enforce a rule or dish out any type of punishment they get taken to court. They never win. What a mess! l have no solution though.

• Sad
Reactions: xcop
This is not good news. I've been concerned about this year's recruiting class for awhile now. We only have one commit, and he is ranked lower than any member of last year's class. For whatever reason, we just haven't gained traction with blue chip players like we did last year. We signed Bradley and Miller, and were in the final 2 for Jarace Walker. I had read over the weekend that we were perceived to be in good shape for Dilione, and was hoping that a commitment from him might be imminent and perhaps be the start of a little momentum on the recruiting trail. If he goes to Tennessee will that have any effect on Cosby?
It won’t be up to recent standards, but that has to do with the guys we will have coming back next year and NIL. I also think we hit the transfer portal hard

Reactions: Charlie Tango
Dilione committed to Tennessee. Barnes is putting together another very good class. He also beat us for Cade Phillips in this cycle.

ADVERTISEMENT