ADVERTISEMENT

I Line Observations

ghannas

All American
Jun 9, 2004
I rewatched and analyzed every player on each play against Cincy and thought we did Good, but could be better.

McLaughlin: Played incredible again. Quick, stays with blocks better than anyone, excellent going to the 2nd level, picks up the twists, and has some pop. He is probably playing the best of all the linemen. Plays at a faster/different speed. Can’t believe it!!!!
Neal: He continues his Solid Play. Would still like him to be a little more aggressive, but I expect a lot from an AA.
Cohen: He did OK. He made some good blocks…blocking down and on got downfield on some linebackers, but he needs to do more than just the initial hit on the defender. Stay on your guy for that extra second and don’t allow him on the tackle. Also, his biggest weakness (Georgia will see it) is that he has a very hard time keeping his head up and looking for that looping defender on the twist. The looper that he has to pick up has gotten to Bryce at least 6 times in the past 2 games…hand the 1st guy to Seth and wait for the looper. But he does have some really good plays when he is aggressive.
Latham: He really didn’t do anything Great or Terrible against Cincy. I want to see him a little more aggressive. I was also shocked that the Bearcats didn’t try more twists to confuse him. Overall good job for new guy.
Owens: FYI, his 1st holding call was NOT holding. The guy gives a ton of effort, so I really admire him for that. He often takes his kickstep drops too deep and very close to BY. That’s why you see BY have to escape the pocket so often. He faced 2-3 outside blitzes he coulda/shoulda picked up. One is when his guy stunted inside (hand him off to RG) and the MLB blitzed around. If he keeps his head up and anticipates it, he gets a piece of him and keeps BY from almost getting crushed and throwing a bad ball. There was another when BRob is responsible for the blitzing MLB, but Owens is indecisive, stutters inside, and the blitzing safety gets by him on the outside and into BY’s face. I know people on here get on him, but I think we need a healthy and prosperous Owens to beat Georgia. They will attack him. He CAN do it and WANTS TO.
Latu: This guy wins the Most Improved Award these past 2 games. He blocked like a 140 lb WR against Auburn, but was feisty as hell vs Cincy. He was aggressive and made a huge difference, whether it was Wham Blocks, having to go at head up with a LB, or blocking his ass off downfield.

Georgia saw the same things that I did and expect them to bring the house against us. I also expect their D Line twists to be tighter than the last time we faced them. Cincy did that and had some success rushing the passer. They may not pussyfoot around with those twists and try to attack us hard on the edges like Auburn did to us. They probably believe that they will get some push up the middle and completely collapse the pocket. I bet our coaches will have an A+ plan.

O Line play can be CONFUSING and TOUGH!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News