ADVERTISEMENT

i think we will have better teams, BUT

oslim

All State
Mar 3, 2021
i think Oats is building a program that will produce some future teams that are better than this years. this one still stings. golden oppurtunity kinda sqwandered

we were in the sweet 16. drew a team that was good, but not as good as us. this was also a yeat KY, N Car and Duke did not have to be dealt with. great season that i totally enjoyed, but damn that UCLA game stung and will haunt me for ever

roll tide

i think Oats is building a program that will produce some future teams that are better than this years. this one still stings. golden oppurtunity kinda sqwandered

we were in the sweet 16. drew a team that was good, but not as good as us. this was also a yeat KY, N Car and Duke did not have to be dealt with. great season that i totally enjoyed, but damn that UCLA game stung and will haunt me for ever

roll tide

That game will haunt me too. This was the year to get to elite 8 min. I don't think this team would win the tournament, but elite 8 was the yard stick I expected them to get to. Final four would have been the cake.

roll tide
Well said. Really my only wish for Bama athletics is just to see ONE Tide team make a Final Four. Just one.
Have seen at least a half dozen golden opportunities through the years evaporate through incredible misfortune
- most of those teams better than this year.
Long time fans will know what I am referring to here.

Well said. Really my only wish for Bama athletics is just to see ONE Tide team make a Final Four. Just one.
Have seen at least a half dozen golden opportunities through the years evaporate through incredible misfortune
i can name you 4 games that still really bug me, but i will not bore everybody. UCLA this year is on the list. 5 games now

i can name you 4 games that still really bug me, but i will not bore everybody. UCLA this year is on the list. 5 games now
Agree. Just between you and I:

76 Indiana
87 Providence
91 Loyola Marymount
82 UNC/ or 90 Arkansas - had to play Michael Jordan and James Worthy in Raleigh. 73-68 final. Had to play Arkansas with Gary Waites injured and the flu bug.

‘86 Kentucky- force to play them for the 4th time that year.
All of the above were Sweet 16 games.

How did I do?

We will. Our Athletics programs are achieving at the same rate ,or better ,as they were during the mid to late 70's. It's thrilling for an old guy.

UCLA doing their thing against michigan now. Will feel worse and will know we could have moved on if ucla beats them. Need to not follow. It's agony.

Reactions: BaselineLeaner4

76 Indiana
87 Providence
91 Loyola Marymount
82 UNC/ or 90 Arkansas - had to play Michael Jordan and James Worthy in Raleigh. 73-68 final. Had to play Arkansas with Gary Waites injured and the flu bug.

How did I do?
honorable mention

S Ala

76 Indiana
87 Providence
91 Loyola Marymount

How did I do?
I was born in ‘87 but I’ve heard tales of how agonizing all of those were. The UCLA game is near the top for me. Add in at Vandy when Jamychal Green got called for out of bounds in maybe 2010? Also, at Wichita St when we blew like a 17 point second half lead.

Reactions: StablerCountry

76 Indiana
87 Providence
91 Loyola Marymount

How did I do?

That would be my list also. Was around for all of them.

//
@oslim & other old timers know... I'm still nauseated from the "Phantom" call in '76 against Bama vs. Indiana toward the end of that game!

add this year's funk in the UCLA game and all that just brings back those nauseating feelings in 2X capacity. Totally sick at my stomach for sure!
coach knight has always said we were the best team he played that year.

2002 I think?
You are correct Lou, Antonio Gates was on that Kent State team that beat us in 2002 and he did not get drafted in the 2003 NFL draft if you can believe that. What a great career he had with Rivers and the Chargers!!

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Reactions: Sweetlou10
That would be my list also. Was around for all of them.

76 Indiana
87 Providence
91 Loyola Marymount

How did I do?
I would add South Alabama in ‘89 and NC State in ‘85. We were a much better team than South Alabama, and we were up big in that game and just tried to coast. The next game would have been against eventual champion Michigan, in a game where we matched up great, and the line would have only, probably, been 3-4 pts. Win that one, and who knows what could of happened? I really thought we were going to win the NC St game in ‘85. Not sure why, but I just felt strongly we were going to win.
My list before the UCLA game:
1. Providence ‘87
2. Loyola Marymount ‘90
3. South Alabama ‘89
4. NC St ‘85
5. Kentucky ‘86

I am not old enough to remember the Indiana game in ‘76. I, also, even before the flu bug, didn’t think we were going to beat that Arkansas team in ‘91. I still was disappointed, but it doesn’t sting nearly as much when you don’t really expect to win(or play a really close game). I didn’t have much faith in the ‘03 team, regardless of our seeding, and was not shocked in the least that they lost to a very good Kent St team(I even picked Kent St in my pool), and the ‘04 team I thought had as close to zero chance as possible against Connecticut. That team overachieved like no other Bama BB team. I would put the UCLA game somewhere in the top 3 now.

Last edited:
That Indiana game still gets to me when I think about it. Providence and Loyola Marymount are close behind. And, this UCLA game, well I don't want to vomit so I’ll just fart! After all, I am an old fart!

Reactions: xcop and Codie B
ADVERTISEMENT