ADVERTISEMENT

I went to practice today

pfaud001

All American
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
It was a practice that Tide Pride folks were allowed to attend. Here are my thoughts with my untrained eye.

-Quinerly played and looked great. He had a big brace on. Still, he moved well and made some nice shots and passes. Here is the best part, though. He was vocal. Lifting kids up if they missed a shot, or if they made a mistake.
-Mark Sears was filling it up. He made lots of 3s and made me feel better about the point guard role. He is short, but pretty quick
-Burnett looked like he did last summer. Very long and made a lot of shots.
-Welch was nice looking player. Didn’t do anything crazy, but seemed to know his role.
-Miller is as advertised. Just smooth and you can tell he is the best player on the court.
-Chuck and Miles were injured and not playing. Miles twisted an ankle and was riding a bike. Chuck looked like he could have played
-Gurley had some nice shots, but still seems slow to me.
-Nick Pringle was the biggest surprise to me. He can jump out of the gym. He was dunking and blocking shots. Now, he didn’t have Chuck to deal with so that made it easier for him.
-Clowney was falling down and getting hit a lot. I didn‘t see anything great from him
-Bradley played well for not practicing a lot.
-Griffin played, but didn’t do anything special.

It was just one practice, but I feel good about this team. I like the leadership from Q. I think that is big. I really feel like that part of the equation is fixed. The other thing is length of this team is going to give opponents trouble. I think we are still too careless with passes, but that just may be the way we are with Oats’ offense. If we can stop other teams better than last year, I think we will win a lot of games. I feel like our SEC schedule is the most favorable we have had in years. Just my opinions. Feel free to ask me any questions.

It was a practice that Tide Pride folks were allowed to attend. Here are my thoughts with my untrained eye.

-Quinerly played and looked great. He had a big brace on. Still, he moved well and made some nice shots and passes. Here is the best part, though. He was vocal. Lifting kids up if they missed a shot, or if they made a mistake.
-Mark Sears was filling it up. He made lots of 3s and made me feel better about the point guard role. He is short, but pretty quick
-Welch was nice looking player. Didn’t do anything crazy, but seemed to know his role.
-Miller is as advertised. Just smooth and you can tell he is the best player on the court.
-Chuck and Miles were injured and not playing. Miles twisted an ankle and was riding a bike. Chuck looked like he could have played
-Nick Pringle was the biggest surprise to me. He can jump out of the gym. He was dunking and blocking shots. Now, he didn’t have Chuck to deal with so that made it easier for him.
-Clowney was falling down and getting hit a lot. I didn‘t see anything great from him

It was just one practice, but I feel good about this team. I like the leadership from Q. I think that is big. I really feel like that part of the equation is fixed. The other thing is length of this team is going to give opponents trouble. I think we are still too careless with passes, but that just may be the way we are with Oats’ offense. If we can stop other teams better than last year, I think we will win a lot of games. I feel like our SEC schedule is the most favorable we have had in years. Just my opinions. Feel free to ask me any questions.
what about Noah Clowney?

Reactions: bet9
Can't help being excited about where this team might get this season but I'm trying to guard against it until we get to Jan.

Basically everyone that has seen Miller play can barely contain themselves. I heard one say its crazy that Miller stands out like Sexton did but this team is like 10x more talented than that Sexton team and deeper to boot. Its going to be very interesting to see how the chemistry plays out. Last year we weren't built to run what Oats wants to run and doubled down with multiple players focused on their game and not the team. It sounds like we have at least 10 that look like they were molded for Oats system.

This feels like the same place I get with Bama bball around early Nov. Lots of optimism but with that pesky nagging expectation that our (bad) luck will win out. Meaning someone key will get hurt, someone expected to be great will suddenly forget how to play their game, and the favorable schedule turns into a nightmare of matchup issues.

Thanks, pfaud001, for taking the time to write all this info.

Reactions: pfaud001

who would you pick as your starting 5 on what you saw?

Reactions: pfaud001

For someone with an "untrained eye," you did a good job assessing what you saw. Thanks for posting.

So Clowney didn't show out? He and Miller play the 2 man sometimes.
He did not to me, but it was one practice. He kept falling down. Not diving for balls falling down. Just getting hit and coming up a little lame, so he may have gotten a little injured.

I would start

Sears
Burnett
Miller
Pringle
Big Chuck

or

Sears
Burnett
Dom Welch
Miller
Big Chuck

I am a Darius Miles fan, so if he is healthy, I would start him over Welch.
good to hear welch and pringle are looking good. i thought their minutes might be limited.

Things will probably change when we get into P5 play, but I can think of several lineups that would work. Nate has a tough job pushing the right buttons on PT for this group.

Reactions: Sheerperfection
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT