ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to pull out of SEC Tournament?

Vaughnbama

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2009
With the SEC tournament starting today, this is a real question. One bad COVID Test and multiple SEC teams will be out of the NCAA tournament, as there is no way to meet the SEC Protocols for playing in the NCAA Tournament, should a player test positive.

You say it cannot happen, just ask Virginia and FSU, both of whom had to pull out of the ACC Tournament for COVID testing problems. If either team ends up with a Thursday game, they will probably not be able to play in the NCAA Tournament. Alabama is safely on the two line for the NCAA Tournament and we are not moving up to the One line, unless something unforeseen happens. We have nothing to gain by being in Nashville and playing in the Tournament. If a Mississippi State player test positive and plays in the game, he could easily infect a Bama player and we could be bounced from the NCAA Tournament, even though most of our players were exposed to COVID in the summer and two are rumored to have had COVID during the season.

Personally, I think the tournament should be cancelled, as the SEC has nothing to gain from the tournament and everything to lose. My view will not be popular, but I think it is time to seriously consider pulling out of the tournament. Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Florida, Missouri and Tennessee have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Also if we pull out. Let Mississippi State and Georgia play it out to be the SEC AQ team. The SEC meets the requirements of the TV contract and we get a seventh team in the tournament. It would not shock me to see some other conferences have major teams pull out of their tournaments after what happened to Virginia and FSU. Also, will the NCAA make adjustments to allow Virginia and FSU to meet protocols? If many other teams test positive, will the tournament just be delayed a week, so teams can recover?

Remember that the NCAA will be doing the testing and making the calls on what players can play next week, and not the teams and conferences. As an Alabama fan, I am not interested in going to the Final Four is we are going because Illinois only had five players. I want to beat the best, with the best being a full strength. IF we lose in the tournament, let us lose because we got beat by a better team, when we had our best, not because we had four starters out on NCAA testing procedures.

I want an NCAA Tournament to be played and I want it to be played without any walkover games. The alternative is to pass the tournament for one week, give all the players a J&J shot and play the Tournament at full strength.

Last edited:
With the SEC tournament starting today, this is a real question. One bad COVID Test and multiple SEC teams will be out of the NCAA tournament, as there is no way to meet the SEC Protocols for playing in the NCAA Tournament, should a player test positive.

You say it cannot happen, just ask Virginia and FSU, both of whom had to pull out of the ACC Tournament for COVID testing problems. If either team ends up with a Thursday game, they will probably not be able to play in the NCAA Tournament. Alabama is safely on the two line for the NCAA Tournament and we are not moving up to the One line, unless something unforeseen happens. We have nothing to gain by being in Nashville and playing in the Tournament. If a Mississippi State player test positive and plays in the game, he could easily infect a Bama player and we could be bounced from the NCAA Tournament, even though most of our players were exposed to COVID in the summer and two are rumored to have had COVID during the season.

Personally, I think the tournament should be cancelled, as the SEC has nothing to gain from the tournament and everything to lose. My view will not be popular, but I think it is time to seriously consider pulling out of the tournament. Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Florida, Missouri and Tennessee have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Also if we pull out. Let Mississippi State and Georgia play it out to be the SEC AQ team. The SEC meets the requirements of the TV contract and we get a seventh team in the tournament. It would not shock me to see some other conferences have major teams pull out of their tournaments after what happened to Virginia and FSU. Also, will the NCAA make adjustments to allow Virginia and FSU to meet protocols? If many other teams test positive, will the tournament just be delayed a week, so teams can recover?

Remember that the NCAA will be doing the testing and making the calls on what players can play next week, and not the teams and conferences. As an Alabama fan, I am not interested in going to the Final Four is we are going because Illinois only had five players. I want to beat the best, with the best being a full strength. IF we lose in the tournament, let us lose because we got beat by a better team, when we had our best, not because we had four starters out on NCAA testing procedures.

I want an NCAA Tournament to be played and I want it to be played without any walkover games. The alternative is to pass the tournament for one week, give all the players a J&J shot and play the Tournament at full strength.
Sankey not this bold

Sorry Vaughn but I think abandoning the SEC Tourney is not a question CNO and this team would take under consideration.
They have a chance to win the tournament if they play well and cementing their SEC. Championship.
As far as the risk goes for the NCAA Tournament, we just have to keep doing what we have been doing to stay safe and let the chips fall as they may.

giphy.gif

and also...

Hell no

All you need is 5 healthy players to participate in the NCAA tournament. ACC is having issues because their conference policy is more strict than the NCAA.

Reactions: pfaud001 and xcop
They’ll just move the tournament back a little if they have to.

Kansas is eliminated from Big 12 tournament in a walkover. Texas advances due to COVID

Agree

The whole team has had it already so I don’t think there will be anything to worry about
Harper, so the entire team has already had Covid and/or tested positive in the past? Just wanted to confirm. I know Coach Oats had it. Doesn't surprise me regardless.

Coach Oats said yesterday that some, but not all of the team has had the virus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT