ADVERTISEMENT

is the rumors

The prices per ticket will go up to reflect supple & demand. So if your concern is Kentucky fans buying up tickets? Then they will open their purse just like you and I to buy tickets to this micro facility. We could down size the seating in Coleman if that’s what you want. I work in engineering, and I can see ways of down sizing the seating to make every seat viewable to the fans. If your concern is the airplane hanger appearance then that is a low cost fix compared to a 250 million dollar chicken coop just to make us fill better about Auburn. At Alabama we lead this state from the front. Not chasing our little bother. The real question is can CNO put together the best coaching staff in recruiting & fresh ideals about how to make it past the sweet16. Will Alabama open the purse to bring in the best coaches. I was at Coleman for only one game this year. There wasn’t an empty seat. In fact People were standing that couldn’t get a seat. It’s not about downsizing to accommodate empty seats. It’s about winning and having an excited fan base that wants a ticket. This “ build it and they will come” is bullshit. Win and they will come is reality!!
Glad to have a new basketball fan. I am season ticket holder. I am in finance. I understand supply and demand. I already said you can redo the arena. Oats doesn’t want it redone. I side with him. Thoughts like yours are why we are still in this mess. Alabama has poured millions and millions into Coleman. It was a waste. If we have done nothing in 10 years, guess what. It will cost more. That’s how inflation works.

If you like it, great. You admitted you just became a basketball fan. You haven’t been to many arenas. Ours is considered one of the worst. I have been a fan for a long time. I have seen our arena be completely sold out with the opposition almost out numbering our fans in down years. Yeah, I didn’t wait to go to games till they were good to have an opinion about the arena. I‘ll be honest, I don’t give a shit how many holds. I know what Byrne wants and it is a smaller arena. The fans deserve a new arena where we have a significant home court advantage like Auburn. Auburn is in the lead in basketball at the moment. We can squash their lead real fast by getting a new arena.

As for coaching, we have a great coach. We are paying Oats top money. Fans are supporting, but we still only average 11k a game. Gotfried was a terrible person and coach and he couldn’t keep people coming with his sustained success. Wimp had tons of success and still didn’t sell out all the time.

Let’s see you show up for Jackson st in November, and then you can see how many come to games.

Reactions: bet9
I'm not wrong. I would trust our own athletic department website over ESPN. Arkansas, Kentucky, LSU, Georgia, and boogs were all hard sellouts. I know for a fact because I went on rolltide.com and tried to buy tickets to those games. I ended up paying over $100 each for the LSU game. I didn't buy tickets to any of the others because prices were just too steep.
We may have sold out some, but Coleman wasn’t full. I didn’t make it to auburn or Kentucky, but I was at most of the others and they were not sell outs. There were still the crappy corner seats open in the Nose bleeds. The university website that I listed said we averaged 10,900 a game for 15 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: bet9
Ok but 13k or 14k is still smaller than what we have today. So you're still suggesting we downsize.
Technically, rolltide.com claims 14474 for seating capacity. We shed some seats when they opened the eating area club with the last lipstick refresh.

So 13.5 to 14k is fairly close to an even swap once you remove the 500 to 700 truly dreadful seats that are either above the catwalks or in those strange corners where your seat faces other fans and you have to turn 30 degrees or more to view the court.

Reactions: bet9 and pfaud001
You know the major problem is midweek games. It is very hard to make a 6:00 game when you have to be at work, and it is hard to come to an 8:30 game when you have to be at work at 8:00 in the morning and you live more than 98 miles from Tuscaloosa. When all the games are on Television, why?

The answer is simple. In Boston you can send you tickets for Red Sox games back to the Ticket Office and they will resell your tickets and credit you account for the ticket price, creating a win win for the ticket program, increasing the demand for season tickets and keeping the price of the tickets affordable. Ticketmaster will not like the process, but the fans sure would.

By the way during the Wimp years, we use to have two buses a game going from Montgomery to Coleman and back, and during conference season, most games were sellouts or close.

During Conference season, the last two years, the only place to get tickets is on the resale market and for the price of purchasing tickets to two games, I can buy a bigger television and see the game and drink beer for $8.00 per premium six pack.

Last edited:
We didn't have just 1 or 2 sellouts. We sold out every Saturday home SEC game weeks or months in advance. Tickets for those games on the secondary market were selling for more than some of this year's Final Four tickets sold for.
This was a historically great year. History says Bama basketball fans will regress back to their apathetic ways when they return to mediocrity or worse. The administration knows this all too well.

Reactions: pfaud001
I'm not wrong. I would trust our own athletic department website over ESPN. Arkansas, Kentucky, LSU, Georgia, and boogs were all hard sellouts. I know for a fact because I went on rolltide.com and tried to buy tickets to those games. I ended up paying over $100 each for the LSU game. I didn't buy tickets to any of the others because prices were just too steep.
Actually you are, but I digress. Tide Pride seats skew the numbers. There were empty seats for many of those “ hard sell outs”.

Reactions: pfaud001 and bet9
This was a historically great year. History says Bama basketball fans will regress back to their apathetic ways when they return to mediocrity or worse. The administration knows this all too well.
Or whenever bama basketball has to tip off at 8 PM on a Wednesday

Reactions: pfaud001 and bet9
Random thoughts...

There is a difference between paid attendance and attendance when looking at those #s.

Typically new arenas bring more fans...I might be remembering wrong but I think the barn had about 100 fans show up before their new gym.

Typically winning brings more fans.

We have more students and residents in Alabama.

I would argue to say Alabama has more fans than ever and they would follow a winner.

I've always been concerned about a small gym because the people not showing up are the season ticket holders so if go smaller you will have a 10k sell out with 6k in the stands.

Why would you ever go smaller if you are selling the tickets regardless of attendance?

Btw, I don't hate Coleman and I actually think it is kind of nice but it is Not a place for fans to have good seating for a Basketball game. The seating layout for Basketball is straight trash!

Everything going on now seems like the perfect storm to build a new 15-18k arena.
The University is making a bad business decision not to do something now.

Imo, If they build a 10k arena it's like saying we don't care. Here you go, now stfu.

I've always been concerned about a small gym because the people not showing up are the season ticket holders so if go smaller you will have a 10k sell out with 6k in the stands.

Why would you ever go smaller if you are selling the tickets regardless of attendance?

Btw, I don't hate Coleman and I actually think it is kind of nice but it is Not a place for fans to have good seating for a Basketball game. The seating layout for Basketball is straight trash!

Everything going on now seems like the perfect storm to build a new 15-18k arena.

Imo, If they build a 10k arena it's like saying we don't care. Here you go, now stfu.

That last bit is likely spot on here given how few outside the program really care about Bama basketball.

Reactions: bet9 and rsaxoniii
Random thoughts...

There is a difference between paid attendance and attendance when looking at those #s.

Typically new arenas bring more fans...I might be remembering wrong but I think the barn had about 100 fans show up before their new gym.

I would argue to say Alabama has more fans than ever and they would follow a winner.

It’s possible that fans will continue to show up and sell out the arena. I think it is hard to get people to come to a game against Jackson St on Wednesday night at 8pm in November or December. The SEC is a much better league than it has been, but if it regresses, it will be hard to get people to come see a bad Vandy or Georgia team. It is hard to compete with a 70 inch tv with 4k. I don’t know what they will do, but they need to do something.

Reactions: rsaxoniii and bet9
Random thoughts...

Well, that is basically what the administration did to the baseball program. The Joe finally got re done about 10 years after it should have been. Before that 10-12 high schools in Alabama had nice baseball facilities.

It’s possible that fans will continue to show up and sell out the arena. I think it is hard to get people to come to a game against Jackson St on Wednesday night at 8pm in November or December. The SEC is a much better league than it has been, but if it regresses, it will be hard to get people to come see a bad Vandy or Georgia team. It is hard to compete with a 70 inch tv with 4k. I don’t know what they will do, but they need to do something.
This is what happens when you AGAIN wait 10 years longer than you should have and they now have the inflation/ cost increase to delay again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT