ADVERTISEMENT

Joshua Primo Declares for NBA Draft

I think it's great these guys can go explore and learn what they need to work on to get drafted. Great sign for the health of our program to have a few guys doing this every year. As a Bama fan I hope they all come back but trust Coach Oats to manage this well no matter what happens.

Why do they have to declare to get feedback? Football players don’t have to declare to get some kind of feedback do they?

That’s my point. Saban does it. Why can’t basketball coaches?
I don't think this is just a Saban thing. My understanding is that any underclassmen thinking about entering the draft can petition the NFL for a draft grade. I believe it's like a blind survey of NFL GM's, etc. on what round that prospect is projected. The added value Saban provides is that he has so many NFL ties, he can actually speak to GM's and coaches on specific players.

Don’t blame him for “testing the water”, but I certainly don’t think he’ll be anywhere but in Tuscaloosa next year.

Will not be testing water for long. His water is only about 6 inches deep right now. He is 18 years old. Lord help us all.

I saw on ESPN where Primo is rated as the 38th rated NBA draft prospect. What kind of money would that get him?

I can see a team promising him a deal to be drafted between 25-30 just because he’s 18, has size, and is a spot up shooter. Would he take it? That would be a good bit of money for an 18 year old.

I can see a team promising him a deal to be drafted between 25-30 just because he’s 18, has size, and is a spot up shooter. Would he take it? That would be a good bit of money for an 18 year old.
I don't see why at team would even think about investing into a question mark at this time.

Unless they have to keep up appearances for some reason other than vanity, I find these twitter write-ups off putting. Unless you're REALLY heading that direction and you've solidified yourself within the program as a true standout. Men among boys. If not, what the hell is this? Come on. Primo seems like a great kid as do the others, but it's about the spectacle it seems now days. No team. No small thought before writing this that for most of the year ellis or Gary would probably have been better for those minutes. Put in a couple years, preferably 3+ in crimson before the adios and thank you's.

I've gone too far. Should have just said "What's with this horse hockey?"

Last edited:
That is ridiculous.
I was told by an NBA agent this afternoon that Primo if drafted could receive because of his age a 2-4 year guaranteed deal worth from 1.25 million to 1.75 million a year. That would be lots more money than he would make playing for us.

I was told by an NBA agent this afternoon that Primo if drafted could receive because of his age a 2-4 year guaranteed deal worth from 1.25 million to 1.75 million a year. That would be lots more money than he would make playing for us.
He would be. For his age, shooting ability, and size he is worth that gamble imo.

Reactions: bet9
Then that just proves what I have said before- the standard to make an NBA roster is simply not remotely close to what it used to be. Not sure I would believe anyone referred to as an “‘agent”.
Primo virtually disappeared before getting injured. Not buying any of this.

I hope he goes then. I believe there are two types of players. Many other dynamics involved that we are all aware of, but I'll leave it there. If it's so simple. Like about what MONEY is available to you in 2021 v the other possibilities of team, future money, future endeavors, etc. Those things are not our call. I just would rather not have a Twitter farewell letter to bama nation because that level of appreciation is just not reciprocated yet. These are just facts about leaving an organization in a letter, with what I feel is an intention on coming back.

Last edited:
How do you know an NBA agent? Just curious.

Then that just proves what I have said before- the standard to make an NBA roster is simply not remotely close to what it used to be. Not sure I would believe anyone referred to as an “‘agent”.
Primo virtually disappeared before getting injured. Not buying any of this.
You don’t have to average 20 ppg or dominate every game to be NBA caliber or have NBA potential. If you can draft an 18 year old kid with his potential for just a couple million then it’s worth it. It’s the back end of the first/ early 2nd round. It’s not like he’s a lottery pick. He was a projected top 25 NBA pick before the season so it’s not far fetched.

Reactions: bet9
You don’t have to average 20 ppg or dominate every game to be NBA caliber or have NBA potential. If you can draft an 18 year old kid with his potential for just a couple million then it’s worth it. It’s the back end of the first/ early 2nd round. It’s not like he’s a lottery pick. He was a projected top 25 NBA pick before the season so it’s not far fetched.

Correct. Doesn't dominate.

Primo's Declaration allows him to be interviewed by NBA Teams and also workout/scrimmage for scouts, coaches & GMs.

If they see a draftable player with an upside, especially for someone that played a handful of games for Bama when he was only 17 years old... then congratulations young man.

NBA teams also have the G-League that Primo could be assigned to allow development.

Bama Asst. Coach Charles Henry was a G-League Head Coach before coming to Bama, so he probably knows more than anyone if Primo can cut the mustard and more than likely he & CNS have discussed his future is at Bama.

How do you know an NBA agent? Just curious.
He represents an influencer that we work with. He also has WNBA clients...he said they require more attention then the NBA clients and for a lot less money!

I fully admit to not understanding the draft at all if Primo is in the top 100 draftable candidates. There are a ton of players who could go avg 8 points a game and provide hardly anything else. He’ll be good... but this is insane

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO

100%...right now Josh is a near 40% spot shooter with size and is young enough that his ceiling may be much higher (or may not)...IMO most of the time guys that come back need to show a skill they didn’t possess (or that only showed flashes) the season before in order to move up and justify coming back.

Herb running some point and, probably more importantly, making a decent percentage of 3pts (even on small volume) likely made coming back worth it and pushed him back into the draft from a probably undrafted position. JP on the other hand is much like Primo, but older...a spot up shooter with decent size, but since he has been in that same role for the last couple of years now his draft stock hasn’t moved much, or has even gone down some.

For Primo, IMO he likely needs to show the “D” in 3 and D, and/or the ability to run some point and create, in order to move up beyond his current late second round bracket toward the top of second / bottom first area. If he could show both types of improved skills, then he might be able to sneak into a lottery pick (6-6 shooter that can play some PG and guard 1-3 would be valuable). If all he shows is a mediocre defender with a decent jump shot, then he won’t move up much IMO.

I hope he goes then. I believe there are two types of players. Many other dynamics involved that we are all aware of, but I'll leave it there. If it's so simple. Like about what MONEY is available to you in 2021 v the other possibilities of team, future money, future endeavors, etc. Those things are not our call. I just would rather not have a Twitter farewell letter to bama nation because that level of appreciation is just not reciprocated yet. These are just facts about leaving an organization in a letter, with what I feel is an intention on coming back.
Jesus Christ shut the fvck up and keep your mindless drivel to yourself.

Reactions: BoomsMD
If he is projected late 2nd round that is very risky is force being drafted in my opinion. People always seem to forget about these foreigners that come out of nowhere and occupy some valuable draft spots
ESPN has him as an early 2nd right now. I would say mid-late second but there’s appealing factors about Primo

He signed with an NCAA approved agent to keep eligibility. He will be back.
I would not be 100% sure about him coming back. More than any other professional league the NBA drafts base a lot on potential. There isn't a player on Bama who has more upside than Primo. His size, frame, athleticism, and skill all translate well in the NBA. All it takes is one team to fall in love with what he can/will become.

Selfishly I want him back because I think he can be an SEC POTY type player. But I wish him well in his workouts for teams.

If he is projected late 2nd round that is very risky is force being drafted in my opinion. People always seem to forget about these foreigners that come out of nowhere and occupy some valuable draft spots
I once briefly represented a high school kid who had NBA dreams. Notwithstanding his family’s belief that he was a lottery pick, he was drafted in the second half of the second round. He and I and family members met with the team’s assistant GM who explained that the success rate for late second rounders is very very low and that the kid was a long shot who would have to work very hard to make the team. He didn’t and he didn’t. This was years ago and my memory may fail me but my recollection is that having failed to make the team he got little or no money. His family claimed he was the victim of a conspiracy.

Reactions: pfaud001
ADVERTISEMENT