ADVERTISEMENT

Joshua Primo doubtful for first game of NCAA tournament

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
It’s looking more likely that Alabama basketball will be without its freshman starter as it opens up play in the NCAA tournament on Saturday. Wednesday, Nate Oats provided an update on Joshua Primo, who is currently rehabbing from a sprained left MCL he suffered during last week’s SEC tournament.

“He’s not even really jogging or anything yet,” Oats said during a Zoom call with reporters. “Things are coming. I mean he’s getting better, he feels better every day, but we’re not going to rush him into anything. If there’s any way him playing could hurt him down the road, we’re not going to do that for him.

"Unless there's significant progress over the next few days, I don't know that he'll be playing Saturday. But we'll see."

Primo injured his knee against Mississippi State last Friday after a Bulldogs player rolled up on him during a scramble for a loose ball. The 6-foot-6 freshman has made 19 starts over 28 appearances during his debut season. He is averaging 8.1 points and 3.4 rebounds while shooting 42.6 percent from the floor and 39 percent from beyond the arc.

“His mentality has been great,” Alabama guard Jaden Shackelford said. “Even after he got injured, he’s been pushing himself to get back and try to get back as soon as possible. He’s attacking his rehab. He’s getting better with every day.”

Junior college transfer Keon Ellis has started in place of Primo the past two games, recording 14 points against LSU in the SEC tournament championship game after scoring 7 points against Tennessee in the semifinal. Ellis, 6-foot-6, 170 pounds, is averaging 5.5 points and 3.9 rebounds over 17.2 minutes per game.

“He’s been great all year for us,” Alabama forward Herbert Jones said. “I know Primo has been getting a lot of the minutes, but [Ellis] always stays ready. He comes in, does his job, defends well and can really shoot the 3. I mean he’s been giving us great minutes since Primo went down with the injury.”

No. 2 seed Alabama (24-6) will take on No. 15 seed Iona (12-5) in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday at 3 p.m. CT inside of Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The game will be televised on TBS.

i think we got misled a little and so did Tenn and LSU.

if you are on crutches you are not day to day.

I do think misleading the opponents was and could still be part of it. However, for crutches/boots etc that doesn't always indicate clearly how far a player is from game-ready. Sometimes the athletic medical staff will keep guys in protective gear like that to maximize recovery by having as little stress on the injury as possible.

Regardless, I hope primo's back and healthy sooner than later and can participate in this playoff run and I love the Ellis is the next man up for the spot. Our depth is lightyears better than last year and as I've said in other posts and will continue to say, Ellis might be my favorite player on the roster. Guy does everything and he does everything right.

MCL sprain is hard to predict when it heals enough to go full speed on the court. Josh will know when it feels like he can play, and that could very well be Monday.

Reactions: bet9 and oslim
I do think misleading the opponents was and could still be part of it. However, for crutches/boots etc that doesn't always indicate clearly how far a player is from game-ready. Sometimes the athletic medical staff will keep guys in protective gear like that to maximize recovery by having as little stress on the injury as possible.

Regardless, I hope primo's back and healthy sooner than later and can participate in this playoff run and I love the Ellis is the next man up for the spot. Our depth is lightyears better than last year and as I've said in other posts and will continue to say, Ellis might be my favorite player on the roster. Guy does everything and he does everything right.
you are correct, but i have talked to a couple of people who were there that said he was walking on crutches like he needed the crutches to walk

Reactions: bet9 and BamaHudson

Except for fouling 3 point shooters. :)

We can replace Primo. Our depth at the guard position is great. It just means more minutes for Gary which is a good thing. Im more concerned about Bruner's health! He could barely move vs LSU and was basically benched during the 2nd half because he couldn't play defense. For me for us to make a run Bruner needs to be healthy...that way Rojas minutes don't have to go up. Gary is the player that will get more opportunities during this first weekend of the tourney. Which is awesome because I love that dude! Hopefully Primo can be back for the sweet 16!

Reactions: EugDan
ADVERTISEMENT