ADVERTISEMENT

Joshua Primo

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
There is a lot of buzz around the league that Joshua Primo will move up into the first round of the NBA Draft. His untapped potential, age, size, and shooting ability are traits that have Primo in a favorable light to NBA teams. He will stay in if he is promised a deal at the back end of the first round.

• Sad
Reactions: mtmax and pfaud001
There is a lot of buzz around the league that Joshua Primo will move up into the first round of the NBA Draft. His untapped potential, age, size, and shooting ability are traits that have Primo in a favorable light to NBA teams. He will stay in if he is promised a deal at the back end of the first round.
seems like alot of players staying in the draft so some will be a bad choice. primo is well worth the risk because of his talent for his age.

Being good in college basketball pretty much means you have your guys for 1 or 2 years. Nothing you can do about but I don't like it.

Being good in college basketball pretty much means you have your guys for 1 or 2 years. Nothing you can do about but I don't like it.
if primo leaves we would be at 13 scollarships. i wonder if oats would try to get a transfer or leave it as it is.

Reactions: bet9
Pretty much what I said in the thread about him entering his name in the Draft. The NBA, more than any other league I can think of, draft a lot based off potential. I knew at one point last season he was being projected as going in the mid to late teen.

I found it funny reading all the posters who clearly does not watch the NBA say he was nowhere near NBA ready.

Reactions: BigET84
Pretty much what I said in the thread about him entering his name in the Draft. The NBA, more than any other league I can think of, draft a lot based off potential. I knew at one point last season he was being projected as going in the mid to late teen.

I found it funny reading all the posters who clearly does not watch the NBA say he was nowhere near NBA ready.
seems like that is getting more true every year.

So your saying he's a day one starter or he will play significant minutes in his first year if he's drafted?

In the past, if we lost a Primo it might wreak our roster. With Oats it means more minutes for Ellis, Miles, and Burnett. Hope he stays, but if not, we will be okay.

So your saying he's a day one starter or he will play significant minutes in his first year if he's drafted?
No, I'm not saying that; there are only a handful of rookies who are day one starters every year. So unless you are drafting in the top 10 you're not necessarily drafting for a day one starter. But he can contribute off the bench and become a starter within the next few years.

Just taking a quick look at last year's draft the Celtics took Payton Pritchard at 26. Paying him just over 2 mil per year for 2 years and currently avg 7 points and 19 minutes per game. Hard to say no to but Aaron Nesmith was taken 14th by the Celtics and is making 3.5 mil per year. Lot for Primo to consider especially when you start factoring injuries in.

If he gets a 1st round promised deal, then he will leave. That’s a couple million to go sit the bench and learn in an NBA system at 18 years old. Could he improve his stock next year? Sure but he could also damage it. You have to take that kind of money and would be dumb not to

If he gets a 1st round promised deal, then he will leave. That’s a couple million to go sit the bench and learn in an NBA system at 18 years old. Could he improve his stock next year? Sure but he could also damage it. You have to take that kind of money and would be dumb not to
I was hoping he got a 2nd round grade, selfish, of course. I had a feeling he might get a few workouts, and someone would see something in him to take that chance on him. I think he would be the best player on the team next year and one of the top in the conference/nation. But I am a little higher on him than anyone else on the team that's not 6’11 and can shoot the 3...

I would hope he would look at Kira Lewis and stay one more year to move up in the draft . Both showed up one year early at Alabama .

I would hope he would look at Kira Lewis and stay one more year to move up in the draft . Both showed up one year early at Alabama .
Kira had no choice, he had to stay. Sort of different here. If he gets a 1st round guarantee he should go. Going late 1st means going to a good team as well.

Reactions: pfaud001
How does one get a first round guarantee?
Isnt more like a trust me
Big risk if so
Yeah I would be skeptical as well. If the Nets guaranteed you they were going to use pick 32 on you what happens when a team wants to trade back into the first round to draft a European they are in love with? Now you're on to the second rd and who knows which team gets you then? Maybe it's more simplistic than I think.

Primo will end up in Europe if he goes now. We’ve had some really talented kids get bad advice trying to go for their dreams a year or two early and it cost them dearly. If he stayed for one or two more years, he’d have a MUCH higher chance of being drafted high and actually sticking in the league. I know it’s based on potential, but you still have to be able to play, and he’s not dominant or even great at anything yet.

Primo will end up in Europe if he goes now. We’ve had some really talented kids get bad advice trying to go for their dreams a year or two early and it cost them dearly. If he stayed for one or two more years, he’d have a MUCH higher chance of being drafted high and actually sticking in the league. I know it’s based on potential, but you still have to be able to play, and he’s not dominant or even great at anything yet.
dont know how the guarantee thing works but he has got to go if he gets it. i hope he comes back but he could get hurt or have a sophomore slump. no way to know for sure where he will be in 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: Bamabow13
dont know how the guarantee thing works but he has got to go if he gets it. i hope he comes back but he could get hurt or have a sophomore slump. no way to know for sure where he will be in 4 or 5 years.
A huge part of his rise is due to the fact that he is the youngest player in this draft. He won’t be next year.

No, I'm not saying that; there are only a handful of rookies who are day one starters every year. So unless you are drafting in the top 10 you're not necessarily drafting for a day one starter. But he can contribute off the bench and become a starter within the next few years.
What your really saying is he isn't really NBA ready? He has the upside but a team that takes him is taking a risk. So I guess those of us that says he's not NBA ready yet is actually correct. Your trying to be right by him just getting a contract, that dosen't make him NBA ready.

Reactions: OrangeIsReallyUgly
I’m sure he looks awesome in workouts. It’s when people are actually around and this gets physical that he doesn’t handle well at all. Maybe that’s bc he’s young? Maybe that’s bc he doesn’t like contact and such? Guess we will see.

What your really saying is he isn't really NBA ready? He has the upside but a team that takes him is taking a risk. So I guess those of us that says he's not NBA ready yet is actually correct. Your trying to be right by him just getting a contract, that dosen't make him NBA ready.
Not at all what I'm saying. what part of “he can contribute off the bench” sounds like he is not NBA ready? If he wasn't NBA ready he's not contributing at all.

You asked about him being a day one starter; there were only 4 of those rookies this year. Where the rest that we're drafted not NBA ready? Even though a few others made starts later in the year and others look like they will start at some in the near future.

Kira Lewis did great for himself and family. He’s a millionaire. I doubt if he could have improved his game enough to get into the top 5 of this year’s draft. NBA is a global game and has prospects from around the world. Big pool of players for 30 first round spots.

If Primo stays in, how will it effect the actual win/loss record for us next year?

did anyone think he was a one and done?

With the way he started out I could have believed it had he caught fire in the last few weeks. In fact the opposite happened if memory serves. Pretty sure he was on the bench in crunch time of most games down the stretch but I could be wrong.

I'll say it. He’s not ready. Just don’t think anyone will promise him a first round pick. Yeah, he can shoot but at 6-6 he really needs to learn to take it to the basket on someone and finish the play. That’s what he was missing last season and this is what he could really develop in Oats’ offense next season.

Last edited:
NBA has changed somewhat with G-League as Primo can be drafted, signed to an NBA contract and then assigned to G-League, if warranted.

NBA teams are drafting/signing high school players to G-League contracts, who they believe will be future NBA players. So true, Primo started/played a handful of games as a 17 year old and did have a freshman mid-season slump & he was injured in the SEC tourney.

BUT he has one thing in his favor, he was a starter and contributor on an SEC Championship team with all around defensive/offensive coaching.

We think he needs to be at Bama to develop - but an NBA team may want to grab him based on his tryouts [and film] and allow development either at the G-League or with main club or both.

Have we offered Primo that we'll play O Canada alongside the Star Spangled Banner if he comes back since we also have Ambrose-Hylton and Bediako?

Reactions: pfaud001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT