ADVERTISEMENT

Looking back at Alabama’s Non-Con Schedule

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
People wonder how Alabama got in the Tournament as a 6 seed with 13 losses? It’s all because they played an extremely difficult non-conference schedule and went 10-3. One of the most difficult schedules in recent memory. Lets take a look at it:

W 24-10 La Tech
W 30-4 South Dakota St (won Summit)
W 19-11 South Alabama
W 20-12 Oakland
L 25-7 Iona (MAAC Reg Season Champ)
W 24-10 Drake
W 23-10 Miami (10 seed)
W 26-3 Gonzaga (#1 overall seed, won WCC)
W 29-5 Houston (won AAC, 5 seed)
L 21-10 Memphis (9 seed)
W 21-10 Jax St (A-Sun Reg Season)
L 27-6 Davidson (A10 Reg Szn Champ, 10 seed)
W 26-6 Baylor (#4 overall seed)

Insane schedule… I kind of hope coach let the team day drink at the pool the last couple days lol. I think they needed the rest. Mentally this season has been a brutal grind

EDIT: *note if I were coach the team would miss the tournament with pneumonia

Reactions: JJBama and pfaud001
W 24-10 La Tech
W 30-4 South Dakota St (won Summit)
W 19-11 South Alabama
W 20-12 Oakland
L 25-7 Iona (MAAC Reg Season Champ)
W 24-10 Drake
W 23-10 Miami (10 seed)
W 26-3 Gonzaga (#1 overall seed, won WCC)
W 29-5 Houston (won AAC, 5 seed)
L 21-10 Memphis (9 seed)
W 21-10 Jax St (A-Sun Reg Season)
L 27-6 Davidson (A10 Reg Szn Champ, 10 seed)
W 26-6 Baylor (#4 overall seed)
The non conference opponents averaged 24 wins. I will bet one of my nuts that is the highest average of all time .

8 out of 13 in field
2 lost in tournament final
Iona losing was a major upset and other two teams were top half of their conferences.

And we were also supposed to play Colorado State (6-seed) that got replaced by Davidson. Truly insane schedule. Our guys haven't had a gimme all year. We need to lock up Prairie View A&M for 2 games in T-Town, one game at their place over the next few years. Of course at that point they will probably go into the portal and become a good team.
Hopefully we flip the switch and find our mojo during this break. We can beat anybody "when the light is on". I hope we found the best sports psychologist in the world, because we have the talent to go a long way if we play with confidence.

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
Ironic though that the Memphis/Bama game is where Memphis starting putting it all together as a Team and Bama begin to unravel as a Team that played together and improved.
Poor Coaching, Players playing for themselves, Lack of toughness and total lack of Leadership on the behalf of the team as a whole.. Reverse those things and this team is in the Middle of challenging for at least a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 finish .

Ironic though that the Memphis/Bama game is where Memphis starting putting it all together as a Team and Bama begin to unravel as a Team that played together and improved.
Poor Coaching, Players playing for themselves, Lack of toughness and total lack of Leadership on the behalf of the team as a whole.. Reverse those things and this team is in the Middle of challenging for at least a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 finish .
We are literally about to challenge for those things. Ball tips off Friday it’s a new season and we are capable of winning any game

Missing the point. The reason they’re where they are is scheduling extremely difficult. Bad losses happen.
Oh no, I had no issue with the point you made. Your statement is correct the only reason they are a 6 seed is because of their difficult schedule.

My point or more so frustration with this team is they lose to teams they have no business losing to.

So, rather they are a 4, 5, or 6 who knows which team is going to show up. They can easily be out of the tournament come Friday, rather it is Rutgers or ND.

Reactions: Jordan Harper
Oh no, I had no issue with the point you made. Your statement is correct the only reason they are a 6 seed is because of their difficult schedule.

My point or more so frustration with this team is they lose to teams they have no business losing to.

So, rather they are a 4, 5, or 6 who knows which team is going to show up. They can easily be out of the tournament come Friday, rather it is Rutgers or ND.
Gun to my head and I say we lose the first game.

Maybe the team just needed to get back to out of conference opponents that know you less.

I mean we beat Baylor after we started playing bad basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT