ADVERTISEMENT

My take on the team’s recent play

Codie B

All American
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Fort Myers, FL
Let me prefix this that I don’t consider myself as knowledgeable as some on this board about the game of BB, especially the newer style I didn’t grow up with.
Positives:
1). I said a month ago that JQ had to really step up for this team to be a true threat in the NCAA tournament, and he definitely has. His play, imop, has been the biggest boost to our team in the past month.
2) We need Herb Jones to get healthy, and he looks like he has. The other thing I stated was that we needed Herb to be healthy to have a shot at a good run in the NCAA tournament, and he looks like he is finally back to his old self.
3) I liked Gary the first time I saw him in a game for Bama. He has improved more and more, and now has become a legitimate contributor that is making a difference down low.
Negatives:
1) Josh Primo looked really good in January. He looked like he was going to be a real sharp shooter. I actually thought he looked like he was going to become our best outside shooter. For some reason he really regressed(?). Now he is injured. Hopefully, we win Monday and he can come back and discover his earlier form. I do think he will be a good player again for us next year.
2) Petty has been in a tremendous shooting slump. It seems to have weighed on him mentally to the point that it has affected other parts of his offensive game now, like FT shooting and turnovers. I know he is playing well on the defensive end of the court, but it would really help if he could somehow break out of his current slump.
3) I has hoping Bruner would be fully back from his injury. He is giving it his all, but he clearly is nowhere near the player he was starting to become when he got hurt. I actually feel bad for him, because he looks like he is almost in pain trying to run. I am not sure there is enough time left for him to get back, health-wise, to where he was before he got hurt.

We all knew that to make a good run in the NCAA tournament that we would have to shoot good from 3 pt range, shoot well from the FT line, limit turnovers, and not have our best players, especially Jones and Quinerly, get into foul trouble, but the biggest thing we have to do better is what Harper mentioned a few weeks ago, and that is we have to finish better at the rim. We didn’t do that, or any of the above for that matter, well in the last game. Let’s hope we can improve on that from here on out, because if we want to have a real shot at this thing, we will have to. RTR!!!

And still won by double digits because of defense. We'll always be in the game for that reason. The offense will catch fire. I truly believe that.

Just remember what happen when we played a beat up Oklahoma team earlier in the year. We’re not out, but we’re going to need all of our players bringing their “A game”. Playing bad but finding a way to win isn’t going to beat the competition that we’re facing. Get the players in the game with the best mental toughness is our best chance.

ADVERTISEMENT