ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats fires back at Coach K's call to pause college basketball

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014

Alabama basketball coach Nate Oats is not on the same page as Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, and he isn’t afraid to speak his mind about it.

Tuesday, Krzyzewski voiced his opinion that college basketball be put on pause due to rising COVID-19 concerns. When asked Wednesday for his opinion on the matter, Oats fired back with a question of his own.

“Can I ask you something?” Oats replied over a Zoom call with reporters. “Do you think if Coach K hadn’t lost the two non-conference games at home that he’d still be saying that?”

The reporter responded, “probably not,” to which Oats replied, “OK, I just wanted you to say it, not me.”

As Oats pointed out, No. 10 Duke (2-2) has already lost two games this season. Krzyzewski’s suggestion that the sport takes a pause came following an 83-68 defeat to No. 6 Illinois. However, the Duke coach has also seen two of his in-conference opponents — Virginia and North Carolina State — pause activities due to the virus this week.

“You have people saying that the next six weeks are going to be the worst — and it’s already pretty bad,” Krzyzewski told reporters as quoted by Forbes. “Well, should we not reassess that and just see what would be best?”

Oats sees things differently, stating that not playing would do more harm to his players from a mental-health standpoint. The former Detroit-area high school head coach said he recently spoke to a relative of one of his former players who suffered a mental health issue after being quarantined for “weeks on end” at his college program.

“Humans aren’t made to sit alone in isolation for weeks and weeks on end,” Oats said. “We’ve got to be careful with how we do life, but you still got to do life. A huge part of life for all these guys I’m coaching is being in the gym playing basketball. So I think their mental health is in a much better spot playing basketball. I think the school, the SEC, the NCAA’s done a really good job of making sure that we’re not putting any of them in danger.”

Oats, who contracted COVID-19 over the summer, also questioned the intentions of some of the coaches calling for a pause, stating if they were actually concerned about the virus, they would do a better job of wearing masks during games.

“I see all these other guys who haven’t had it, their mask is down the whole game,” he said. “It’s like they have a chinstrap on. So if they’re really worried about COVID, you’d think their mask would be up the whole game. I think some of them are using… No, we should be playing in my opinion. We 100 percent should be playing basketball.’”

Alabama (3-1) is scheduled to play Clemson (4-0) at 6:30 p.m. CT on Saturday in Atlanta as part of Holiday Hoopsgiving.

Last edited:
Coach Oats can't hold Coach K’s jockstrap; he is not even remotely close to that man's category as a coach. Coach K has had two home losses early in the season before and still gone on to Final Fours, Oats need to worry about winning a state title first.

• Haha
Reactions: onebamamaniax

Alabama basketball coach Nate Oats is not on the same page as Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, and he isn’t afraid to speak his mind about it.

Tuesday, Krzyzewski voiced his opinion that college basketball be put on pause due to rising COVID-19 concerns. When asked Wednesday for his opinion on the matter, Oats fired back with a question of his own.

“Can I ask you something?” Oats replied over a Zoom call with reporters. “Do you think if Coach K hadn’t lost the two non-conference games at home that he’d still be saying that?”

The reporter responded, “probably not,” to which Oats replied, “OK, I just wanted you to say it, not me.”

As Oats pointed out, No. 10 Duke (2-2) has already lost two games this season. Krzyzewski’s suggestion that the sport takes a pause came following an 83-68 defeat to No. 6 Illinois. However, the Duke coach has also seen two of his in-conference opponents — Virginia and North Carolina State — pause activities due to the virus this week.

“You have people saying that the next six weeks are going to be the worst — and it’s already pretty bad,” Krzyzewski told reporters as quoted by Forbes. “Well, should we not reassess that and just see what would be best?”

Oats sees things differently, stating that not playing would do more harm to his players from a mental-health standpoint. The former Detroit-area high school head coach said he recently spoke to a relative of one of his former players who suffered a mental health issue after being quarantined for “weeks on end” at his college program.

“Humans aren’t made to sit alone in isolation for weeks and weeks on end,” Oats said. “We’ve got to be careful with how we do life, but you still got to do life. A huge part of life for all these guys I’m coaching is being in the gym playing basketball. So I think their mental health is in a much better spot playing basketball. I think the school, the SEC, the NCAA’s done a really good job of making sure that we’re not putting any of them in danger.”

Oats, who contracted COVID-19 over the summer, also questioned the intentions of some of the coaches calling for a pause, stating if they were actually concerned about the virus, they would do a better job of wearing masks during games.

“I see all these other guys who haven’t had it, their mask is down the whole game,” he said. “It’s like they have a chinstrap on. So if they’re really worried about COVID, you’d think their mask would be up the whole game. I think some of them are using… No, we should be playing in my opinion. We 100 percent should be playing basketball.’”

Alabama (3-1) is scheduled to play Clemson (4-0) at 6:30 p.m. CT on Saturday in Atlanta as part of Holiday Hoopsgiving.
I like Coach Oats on many levels.

Coach Oats can't hold Coach K’s jockstrap; he is not even remotely close to that man's category as a coach. Coach K has had two home losses early in the season before and still gone on to Final Fours, Oats need to worry about winning a state title first.
I have always respected Coach K but this is not about coaching achievements. This is about how you live life. Oats is right and Coach K is wrong. Pretty simple.

I have always respected Coach K but this is not about coaching achievements. This is about how you live life. Oats is right and Coach K is wrong. Pretty simple.
How so, for having an opinion on if sports should be played? It's his opinion and many people share those same sentiments.

Coach Oaks needs to worry about his team and back off thinking his opinion matters more than a living legend in the sport.

This would be like some no-name Duke football coach trying to question Nick Saban’s motives for playing or not playing. It's absurd.

• Haha
Reactions: onebamamaniax
I stated this in another post. NOBODY is forcing coaching K to coach the team this year. If he has real concerns, he should opt out. He, CERTAINLY, is not losing his job over opting out, and he will, probably, still even be paid, even if he weren’t paid, I highly doubt it will make him financially destitute. NOBODY is forcing any of his coaches or staff to perform their jobs this year. NOBODY is forcing any of his players to play this season. If they opt out, they still keep their scholarships, tutors, benefits, athletic dorm rooms, eligibility, etc. He might as well just say “in his opinion we should cancel the season”, because delaying it 6 weeks, or even 2-3 months, is not going to change anything, since his players(shoot almost all the college BB players), and most likely most of his staff, will not have received the Covid vaccine, and needed booster, by that timeframe anyway. So that is just a waste of time that we have tried countrywide, in many different forms, for 9 months now. Again, if he has real concerns for himself or his players, NOBODY is forcing him to coach or any of them to play, so he should just opt out, and advise his players of his opinion.

I stated this in another post. NOBODY is forcing coaching K to coach the team this year. If he has real concerns, he should opt out. He, CERTAINLY, is not losing his job over opting out, and he will, probably, still even be paid, even if he weren’t paid, I highly doubt it will make him financially destitute. NOBODY is forcing any of his coaches or staff to perform their jobs this year. NOBODY is forcing any of his players to play this season. If they opt out, they still keep their scholarships, tutors, benefits, athletic dorm rooms, eligibility, etc. He might as well just say “in his opinion we should cancel the season”, because delaying it 6 weeks, or even 2-3 months, is not going to change anything, since his players(shoot almost all the college BB players), and most likely most of his staff, will not have received the Covid vaccine, and needed booster, by that timeframe anyway. So that is just a waste of time that we have tried countrywide, in many different forms, for 9 months now. Again, if he has real concerns for himself or his players, NOBODY is forcing him to coach or any of them to play, so he should just opt out, and advise his players of his opinion.
Sounds like a true Democrat to me. Force everyone else to conform to your ideals so you won’t be punished for being inferior . @G.O.A.T-23 understands.

How so, for having an opinion on if sports should be played? It's his opinion and many people share those same sentiments.

Coach Oaks needs to worry about his team and back off thinking his opinion matters more than a living legend in the sport.

This would be like some no-name Duke football coach trying to question Nick Saban’s motives for playing or not playing. It's absurd.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion unless you express it on Twitter or Facebook. His social opinion is worth the same as yours and mine. What does being a HOF coach gives him the insight on a virus? I will wait for your response.

Well, “technically” the reporter stated it. I guess his/her opinion shouldn’t matter either vs coach K’s.

Reactions: budog
Sounds like a true Democrat to me. Force everyone else to conform to your ideals so you won’t be punished for being inferior . @G.O.A.T-23 understands.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion unless you express it on Twitter or Facebook. His social opinion is worth the same as yours and mine. What does being a HOF coach gives him the insight on a virus? I will wait for your response.
Are you seriously trying to turn this political, Jesus H Christ get a grip. You would be questioning some no-name coach who hasn't accomplish a damn thing yet he are trying to question the motive of Saban who they couldn't compare to on his worst day. Oats is entitled to his opinion, so am I, my opinion is do something worth a damn before trying to take shots at the King.

Are you seriously trying to turn this political, Jesus H Christ get a grip. You would be questioning some no-name coach who hasn't accomplish a damn thing yet he are trying to question the motive of Saban who they couldn't compare to on his worst day. Oats is entitled to his opinion, so am I, my opinion is do something worth a damn before trying to take shots at the King.
Are you suggesting that political opinions are separate than value opinions?

Are you suggesting that political opinions are separate than value opinions?
This isn't a freaking value opinion. What color is the sky in your world? This is simply a question of if it is safe or not to play given the current state of the pandemic.

It would be one thing if Oats just said he disagrees and thinks the season should continue. He didn't do that, he took a shot at a guy that has accomplished more in one season than he had is entire life.

It's pathetic and like I said you would think the same of it was some coach doing this to Saban.

Absolutely, if Dave Doeren said the same thing about Saban I would have absolutely ZERO problem with it. This is America and Everyone has a right to speak their mind even if it hurts a living legends feelings.

Roll Tide!!!!

Absolutely, if Dave Doeren said the same thing about Saban I would have absolutely ZERO problem with it. This is America and Everyone has a right to speak their mind even if it hurts a living legends feelings.

Roll Tide!!!!
BS, Oats didn't just disagree which is his right; he attacked the man’s character and motives for not thinking it is safe to play.

I am sure Coach K could give zero shits what a nobody compared to him has to say. I think it makes Oats look like a fool.

BS, Oats didn't just disagree which is his right; he attacked the man’s character and motives for not thinking it is safe to play.

I am sure Coach K could give zero shits what a nobody compared to him has to say. I think it makes Oats look like a fool.

Cool story

Reactions: Denny_DennyCrane

I think his character, or lack thereof should have been attacked. It is very lacking. Like saying you can’t tell Bobby Knight to stop being a bully, Just because he is a HOF coach.

Reactions: kansas77
If the players are on campus practicing ,playing they are in a much better place than going away from campus, going home, partying where they come in contact with more people that may have the virus. Look at the weekends off in football and the positive tests afterward. Also the MH issue is real. These players are not going to sit in their room if the next 23weeks of bb is stopped. As to disagreeing with Coach K why not? He is a very good coach but not King of the sport. Duke may have other issues as well.

Reactions: milso47 and Codie B
If Avery Johnson had made those comments you would have not said a word. LOL.

Also remember one year Coach K had a very below Duke standard team and he opted out that year and had some back surgery and sat out entire year.

Coach K said a month or two before the season that we couldn’t go two years without an NCAA tournament and wanted every team to make it.
His team loses two games at home and now all of a sudden he doesn’t think it’s safe, yet he has his mask around his chin half the time.
Coach Oats said what every coach in America was thinking, but didn’t have the guts to say. Coach K is one of the best to ever do it, but that doesn’t make him immune to criticism. Saban says stuff all the time people don’t agree with, but that doesn’t change that he’s the greatest coach of all time. Kudos to coach Oats for speaking up, and answering a question that was asked to him.

And many people on this board could give a rat’s rear end about many of your opinionated and condescending remarks.

Coach K said a month or two before the season that we couldn’t go two years without an NCAA tournament and wanted every team to make it.
His team loses two games at home and now all of a sudden he doesn’t think it’s safe, yet he has his mask around his chin half the time.
Coach Oats said what every coach in America was thinking, but didn’t have the guts to say. Coach K is one of the best to ever do it, but that doesn’t make him immune to criticism. Saban says stuff all the time people don’t agree with, but that doesn’t change that he’s the greatest coach of all time. Kudos to coach Oats for speaking up, and answering a question that was asked to him.
Great post Harper. But be careful- GOAT will be coming after you with his superiority complex and expert takes on all things.

Reactions: Denny_DennyCrane
Yep. GOAT sounds pretty stupid on this one. Should Tua lead the Dade County Medical Response Team? I mean, he was a much better QB than that wimpy doctor.

I can tell you this, if you are not a gambler you might not recognize the Network, but VSIN has a show called Follow the Money and this morning Matt Youmans and Mitch Moss basically said that the college basketball community is celebrating Nate Oats today because he had the onions (their word not mine) to say what most coaches are thinking and that is Coach Crybaby K ( again their word not mine) should not play if he or his team does not want too, but most of the players and coaches want to play basketball.

I also heard on radio this morning that Duke got off to a terrible start in the 94-95 season and Coach K’s back suddenly got so bad that surgery could not wait, even though when the season started he made it very clear that surgery would come later, that was the 13-18 year which they were 2-14 in conference play.

I want to be clear, these are not my opinions of the guy, though I do not like him I respect the heck out of his ability as a coach.

Roll Tide!!!!

I think his character, or lack thereof should have been attacked. It is very lacking. Like saying you can’t tell Bobby Knight to stop being a bully, Just because he is a HOF coach.
This shows how stupid you really are; his character is in question because he has nerve to question whether or not it is safe for the players to play the game. Keeping in mind that is not just the players who could be exposed but also their families. What's really dumb is you clowns can't understand the difference between disagreeing with his statement and having some two-bit coach try to attack his character and motives for questioning if the season should be played, even though he had questions before the season started.
If Avery Johnson had made those comments you would have not said a word. LOL.
If Avery made this comment I would have said the exact same thing, but that's for showing your ignorance again.
And many people on this board could give a rat’s rear end about many of your opinionated and condescending remarks.
Idiot, this board is full of people giving their opinions including you with your idiotic opinions.

This shows how stupid you really are; his character is in question because he has nerve to question whether or not it is safe for the players to play the game. Keeping in mind that is not just the players who could be exposed but also their families. What's really dumb is you clowns can't understand the difference between disagreeing with his statement and having some two-bit coach try to attack his character and motives for questioning if the season should be played, even though he had questions before the season started.

If Avery made this comment I would have said the exact same thing, but that's for showing your ignorance again.

Idiot, this board is full of people giving their opinions including you with your idiotic opinions.
Snowflake getting his jimmies rustled? You had a bad take, get over it.

Reactions: therealsquid
Yep. GOAT sounds pretty stupid on this one. Should Tua lead the Dade County Medical Response Team? I mean, he was a much better QB than that wimpy doctor.
How hard is this for some of you to understand, it's not the disagreeing with him I have a problem with, it's NO saying a guy who could coach Alabama to a Final Four while he struggles to make the NIT with a Lottery Pick at PG, is somehow trying to get out of a season because he has had 2 losses early in the season. That's laughable and makes Oaks look like an odiot.

ADVERTISEMENT