ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats Zoom Call Quotes

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Nate Oats says Alex Tchikou still can’t go live yet. He says Alex has put on some weight.

“He plays like a 5 who can play on the perimeter"

Nate Oats on Alabama being one scholarship over the limit for 2021-22 — he doesn’t have an answer yet but Alabama has “earned the right” to let it play out. “It’s not fun all the time.” Said he thought they handled it well last year with some players transferring out. “We’ll be down to the number that it needs to be down to when it needs to be down to that."

Nate Oats on Charles Bediako: “We’ve been recruiting him a while and have a really good relationship with him that we’ve built over a long time. … He’ll give us a little bit different big than maybe what we played with this year.” Cites rim protection and athleticism.

Oats on Burnett: “Recruited him really hard out of high school. Developed a great relationship with him. … When we didn’t get it initially, I thought we handled it correctly. … They followed back up. They watched us play a lot. They let us know they enjoyed watching us play."

Nate Oats said Alabama “did not have an answer” for Noah Gurley when Furman played them the past two seasons. Oats said the staff was “fired up” when Gurley put his name in the transfer portal.

“Versatile big that can play multiple positions. High IQ, which we like."

Nate Oats says he expects some underclassmen Alabama players to enter the NBA draft. But if they don’t have a guaranteed first-round grade, he would probably recommend coming back.

Nate Oats says he thinks JD Davison will be “really hard to guard.” … “You put him and Quinerly out there and it’s going to be hard to keep the two of those guys in front of you."

Nate Oats, fighting back some tears, just gave a rememberance of Luke Ratliff during his signing day Zoom press conference. Oats called Ratliff “one of us” and noted the late Alabama student had been over his house.

Nate Oats on 2021-22 schedule: “We’re gonna schedule really good teams. But Houston’s pretty good. I’m not trying to schedule too many top 10 teams coming in here. Houston will be in here. Still trying to work on the Birmingham deal."

What underclassmen could he possibly be talking about(?), especially with him mentioning JQ is coming back to be in the backcourt with JD?

What underclassmen could he possibly be talking about(?), especially with him mentioning JQ is coming back to be in the backcourt with JD?
JQ and possibly someone like Primo or Shackelford. Just a reminder that players are allowed to test the NBA draft waters and it's often an informational process for later in their career. Chances are a lot of people on here will turn on these kids once they do so, but Oats recommends it because it can be really helpful for players.

I agree with CNO. Oats can tell them what they need to work on to make it to the NBA, but he's like a parent, youngsters don't listen to him like they should,

BUT NBA Rep watches them and tells them what they NEED TO WORK ON then in their eyes that carries more weight

Reactions: bet9
People go to school on the promise that they will be able to get a good job afterwards. If you can get a high paying job before you get your degree, then that's OK.

Reactions: bet9
Must complete one year of college courses to be eligible. Sorry to break it to you. There’s always next year.
Already sent my name in! They’ll accept my degree. But I think you only need to be a year removed from high school, not a year of college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT