ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball ⚾️ New basketball arena

I was on campus for a tour in March of 1967. It was under construction at that time. I am not sure when it opened.

Reactions: bet9
We can hope that at the least the part about the large donation was true. It would be a great jumping off point for an arena focused donation campaign. We likely weren't going to be able to get a new one built without about half or more of the cost being promised to be paid by donors.

Byrne has to deny it at this point otherwise potential donors that might go along to help can sit back and assume enough has been given.

He also has to downplay it as they're taking a bath on incomes vs expenses this year. This virus will have the balance sheet bleeding red for at least another year. That's never good but our debt service on facility upgrades is substantial and will continue to be that way as long as we keep up with everyone else in the facilities arms race. We have some big $$ donors but as far as I'm aware we don't have a Phil Knight or Boone Pickens type that is deeply invested in the program and will cut a 7 or 8 digit check on a moments notice to fill a need in the athletic dept.

I remember we were suppose to open the arena with a game against Duke in December 1967; however. Coleman was not ready until February 24, 1968, for the Kentucky game. We played Duke in Foster and the Coach at Duke was furious. In those days in Foster the teams sat on the baselines and we would sit in the balcony above the teams. During the game some houligans would light pennies and drop them on the opposing benches. Foster had an unbelievable home court advantage.

We lost the first game in Coleman by something like 14 to Kentucky. The last game in Foster was February 19, 1968, against Vandy and we lost that one.

In those days we were so bad that Coleman was actually a good place to study.

I remember we were suppose to open the arena with a game against Duke in December 1967; however. Coleman was not ready until February 24, 1968, for the Kentucky game. We played Duke in Foster and the Coach at Duke was furious. In those days in Foster the teams sat on the baselines and we would sit in the balcony above the teams. During the game some houligans would light pennies and drop them on the opposing benches. Foster had an unbelievable home court advantage.

We lost the first game in Coleman by something like 14 to Kentucky. The last game in Foster was February 19, 1968, against Vandy and we lost that one.
Explain "light pennies"?

Dammit believe it or not I went back and forth on 42 or 43 lol. Thanks for clarifying. I grew up going to lots of games every year with my dad and grandfather. I've been there for the highs and lows. I was a ball boy one season. We beat #1 Kentucky. We (ball boys) only got 3-4 games and I got UK. I got scolded for standing under the hoop while a UK player shot FT's, swinging my towel in circles violently and yelling at the guy. I got scooped up 10 seconds later and chewed out haha. Whatevs. I was 10. And he missed and we won. Roll Tide.

Dammit believe it or not I went back and forth on 42 or 43 lol. Thanks for clarifying. I grew up going to lots of games every year with my dad and grandfather. I've been there for the highs and lows. I was a ball boy one season. We beat #1 Kentucky. We (ball boys) only got 3-4 games and I got UK. I got scolded for standing under the hoop while a UK player shot FT's, swinging my towel in circles violently and yelling at the guy. I got scooped up 10 seconds later and chewed out haha. Whatevs. I was 10. And he missed and we won. Roll Tide.
you damn little brat--good job though--

roll damn tide. i remember that game well

• Haha
Reactions: bet9 and kansas77

In those days we were so bad that Coleman was actually a good place to study.
It was full and loud the night James Brown performed!!!!

Sorry but I believe home opener in
Coleman( then Memorial) was against Samford not Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT