ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino Quotes from today comparing the 1987 Alabama team and this years team

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Pitino: “I’m not an expert on Alabama basketball history but I’d say that 1987 Alabama team and this team are the two greatest Alabama teams ever...but this team is much better on defense. They’re not going to allow us to shoot 68 percent.”

Pitino said that Providence winning against the 1987 Alabama team was”one of the biggest surprises of my life.”

Rick Pitino remembers thinking the 1987 Alabama basketball team was “invincible” before his Providence team beat them by 21 in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: Codie B
68 fricken percent!!! And those weren’t a bunch of points in the paint. Who the heck shoots 68 frickin percent? The answer - the opposing team in the tournament playing my favorite teams best team ever.
Billy Donovan and Delray Brooks must have hit 20 3’s between them. The Flu bug had run through Alabama as well before the game. Beyond disappointing.

1976 Alabama is the greatest Tide team ever.

Billy Donovan and Delray Brooks must have hit 20 3’s between them. The Flu bug had run through Alabama as well before the game. Beyond disappointing.

I was too young to remember/watch the ‘76 team, but at least they lost to the last team in 45 years to go undefeated. I doubt too many people were overly surprised we lost that game, unlike the Providence one.
I didn’t recall the flu bug happening before that game? I thought that happened to the Bama team before they played Arkansas in the sweet 16 in ‘91? I guess it is possible we got unlucky twice.

I just remember that Providence team couldn’t miss. I kept waiting for it to happen, so we could go on our run to get back in the game(which happens in lots of games), but it just never happened.

rocket eight--cm's 76 team--wimps 87 team and this year. best in my life time

there have been some others, but i will take those four for my Mt Everest of bama teams

Yea...76 team could of / should of won the whole thing

Yep, once talked to someone that was around the program in the 80s and to hear him talk about it something like half the team wouldn't have been able to play at all had the game been a day or two earlier. As it was, supposedly some were practically dehydrated from the tip and half a step slow all game long.

Crazy to think that one of our most average ncaa tournament teams went to the elite eight lol

I really hope Oats gets us to a final 4 if for no other reason than to have that fluke of a Gottfried run be more of a bullet point for the era and not the pinnacle of Alabama basketball. It was fun at the time and gave hope for a great run of Bama basketball. But I really despise Gottfried for how he let the program rot after that run. IMO we've been in the desert for about 15 years longer than we should have because of Gottfried.

Reactions: PlaidandParquet

Both Billy Donovan and Delray Brooks were 5 of 6 on 3's which works out to 83.3% . The rest of their team hit 4 of 8 3's pulling the team average down to 70% for 3's. Their 2's pulled their average down to 68% shooting. Most teams can't hit that percentage just practicing shooting undefended. For the season Providence hit 42.1% of their 3's, which is great, but 70% was insane.

Shot 7/14 FTs vs Indiana or we would have beat them

Reactions: Codie B
ADVERTISEMENT