ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball ⚾️ RECAP: Alabama defeats Jacksonville State 81-57

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Alabama won it's season opener tonight over an inferior Jacksonville State squad 81-57. It was a game that showed obvious rust and inexperience from several players that haven't played Division 1 college basketball before. Alabama showed great improvements defensively and a lot of that can be attributed to the increase in talent/athleticism on the team. Having guys like Keon Ellis, James Rojas, and Jordan Bruner really helped in holding JSU to 28% shooting and forcing 18 turnovers. The one player everyone was excited to see was Jahvon Quinerly, the Villanova transfer PG who has to sit out last season and he did not disappoint. JQ finished with 18 points on 7/12 shooting and showing Kira/Sexton-like speed to the basket.

Now, it wasn't all good for the Tide as they did not shoot the 3 well at all (7/31) and at times had trouble rebounding against an inferior opponent. Obviously, the 3's will start falling as it is the first game, but they need to get better at rebounding the ball consistently before SEC play. It was exciting to see some of the new faces such as Quinerly, Keon Ellis, Jordan Bruner, Rojas, and Primo in action. Ellis looked timid offensively, but showed how great defensively he can be. Primo flashed at times at how talented he is. Bruner and Rojas showed versatility at the 4/5 spot that has to be there for Nate Oats's team to function effectively. It was also good to see the returning players have solid games tonight. Jaden Shackelford finished with an impressive double-double with 18 points and 12 rebounds as the smallest guy on the team. Herbert Jones also finished with a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds, and Petty finished with 14 points and 6 rebounds.

In a game where Alabama didn't play close to their potential, they still showed just how explosive they can be. JSU cut the lead to 10 points with about 10 minutes to go and in a blink of an eye in was back to 20. Pair that explosiveness with improved defensive play and you have a very dangerous team. Alabama's next game will be November 30 in the Maui Invitational against Stanford.

Not sure i saw very much improved defensive play. As my coaches used to tell us a defensive possession is never over until you secure the basketball

Reactions: jtr4dad
I can't complain about defense when the other team shot 28%. Also I thought we were noticeably more "handsy" in the paint on defense. Several shots got blocked or altered by the help defense and noticed Keon Ellis getting his hands on a few. That's all good to see. I'm not worried. We shot awful from 3 but we know we'll shoot better. JQ looked smooth as can be and Rojas looked better on offense than I anticipated. First game. Overmatched JSU. Hard to tell much. Rubber hits the road Monday night. I remember our last two versus Stanford. The '04 NCAA Tourny game and the NCAA game in like '95 or something. Stanford had Adam Keefe that year and we whooped them in the 8-9 game I believe. Looking for the hat-trick Monday night!

Guys on Cbssn just talking About Stanford's link inability to defend, and the fact they pretty much thought they would be an nc Double-A tournament team this year

I thought we didn't rebound well either. Then I looked up the numbers. The last time we had a game with more rebounds in a regulation game was the season opener in 2010.

We had a few more rebounds in the 4 OT south Carolina game but that isn't apples to apples

Guys on Cbssn just talking About Stanford's link inability to defend, and the fact they pretty much thought they would be an nc Double-A tournament team this year

The team looked like they were playing their first game. Still a lot of stupid turnovers, but not as careless with the ball as last year. When will someone teach these guys that when you shoot a layup your eyes must be on the front of the rim. Your hand and the ball usually follow your eyes. We must have missed ten chip shots last night, where we just threw the ball in the direction of the basket. I’m not worried about the three’s, as they will fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
The team looked like they were playing their first game. Still a lot of stupid turnovers, but not as careless with the ball as last year. When will someone teach these guys that when you shoot a layupmyour eyes must be on the front of the rim. Your hand and the ball usually follows your eyes. We must have missed ten chip shots last night, where we just threw the ball in the direction of the basket. I’m not worried about the three’s, as they will fall.
Agreed. Finishing around the basket is crucial and they missed a ton last night.

Reactions: Codie B and milso47
I thought we looked pretty good considering all the new guys and no scrimmages. I think a lot of people are underestimating how hard it is to get into the flow of the game when there’s so many subs coming in and out. Thought the defense was definitely better than last year’s team. The length and athleticism we have was obvious. I’ll chalk the poor shooting night up to rust and first game jitters. Think people are being a little too hard on Bruner and Herb. Herb’s finally healthy and it was Brunei’s first real game with a new team. This team will gel on both sides of the floor as they get more minutes together. Obviously JQ was the story last night. Dude is a player and we’re in great hands at the PG position. I see a ton of potential with this team. Should be a really fun team to watch when the guys get more comfortable with each other and start making shots. Both I think will get better with every game. Crazy amount of depth this team has will pay off in a big way. Very excited about what they can be.

Reactions: milso47
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT