ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
This could possibly be a big week ahead for Alabama in recruiting/transfer portal.

Nimari Burnett, former 5 star player that transferred from Texas Tech, will make his decision on Thursday. I feel confident that Alabama will land Burnett after barely missing on him coming out of high school.

Charles Bediako is rumored to be committing this week, but has been rumored to commit every month since December. I am not 100% positive he will commit, but there have been rumblings. I am confident that Alabama will land Bediako as well.

Noah Gurley, 6’8 210 lb SF transfer from Furman that averaged 15 and 5 reb last season, will announce his final decision on Sunday. Now, Gurley is more of a wildcard but Alabama has a good chance at landing him but there would have to be roster movement if they were to land all 3. This week when Gurley has zoom meetings with his 8 finalists will be able to shed more light. He would be a huge addition.

@Harper41 not to imply that any particular player needs to leave the team, but if you were going to speculate that 3 current players are not on this team next season what would your list look like and in what order?

Call me an old as food but I really miss the days when we sign players and try to develop them. I really don't like basically cutting kids for something that is perceived to be better.

Agree with you for the most part. The whole transfer circus can totally transform your team and make it an instant contender, but it just makes me more cynical about D1 basketball (as if I could be more cynical than I already am).

Reactions: xcop and ccintn
Agree with you for the most part. The whole transfer circus can totally transform your team and make it an instant contender, but it just makes me more cynical about D1 basketball (as if I could be more cynical than I already am).
Welcome to the modern era! Unfortunately, it's also driving down local talent that we used to get. I was discussing this with a fellow coach the other day as he was lamenting the lack of local kids on the U of AZ. Women's team (1). What's happening is that the Transfer Portal has created a "new animal" for team construction. Now the trick is to get the right mix of Transfers, JUCO talent and 5 or 4 stars on your team. If you are 3 star you are best to go to JUCO or a small school and hope for development. The day's of the complimentary Bench Warmers are over.

Call me an old as food but I really miss the days when we sign players and try to develop them. I really don't like basically cutting kids for something that is perceived to be better.
I agree but I also get the claim that we’re a bit idealistic and you’ve gotta adjust to the times. Reality is, transfer portal is the Wild West and you almost have to get involved to compete. Also, the players can just leave anytime they want for no reason... even in the middle of the year. So, it’s kinda hard to say coaches shouldn’t cut players. Just my .02

I remember Gurley from Bama playing them the last two years. Dude is a freak and a tough matchup for anyone!! I’ll take him and Burnett and call it a day! Not that I wouldn’t take Bediako, but IMO, those two would be HUGE!

Reactions: grichards56
@Harper41
Just curious regarding your thoughts on Keon Ambrose. Obviously, he needs more development. But he looks like a good sized kid who hustles, can run the floor and rebound. He seems to have soft hands and a nice touch around the basket too. I did notice he still needs work on defending down in the post but that should come in time.

Welcome to the modern era! Unfortunately, it's also driving down local talent that we used to get. I was discussing this with a fellow coach the other day as he was lamenting the lack of local kids on the U of AZ. Women's team (1). What's happening is that the Transfer Portal has created a "new animal" for team construction. Now the trick is to get the right mix of Transfers, JUCO talent and 5 or 4 stars on your team. If you are 3 star you are best to go to JUCO or a small school and hope for development. The day's of the complimentary Bench Warmers are over.
That Arizona team just played Stanford in the national championship game, so not sure why he'd be so upset over where the players came from. Would he rather have a mediocre team with a roster full of local kids or a great team with kids from all over the country?

I remember Gurley from Bama playing them the last two years. Dude is a freak and a tough matchup for anyone!! I’ll take him and Burnett and call it a day! Not that I wouldn’t take Bediako, but IMO, those two would be HUGE!
I'm not expecting CNO to call and ask for my opinion, but I think I would rather have the forward from ECU than Gurley if we're gonna dip into the portal. He put up better numbers in a tougher conference.

Reactions: BaselineLeaner4
That Arizona team just played Stanford in the national championship game, so not sure why he'd be so upset over where the players came from. Would he rather have a mediocre team with a roster full of local kids or a great team with kids from all over the country?
That wasn't the point I was trying to make, but I think he is about "finding diamonds in the rough". But, I agree.

I questioned last week whether Oats would have offered Jones and Petty and was quickly informed that their instate rankings would have warranted offers. That may be true but in-state isn't going to have anything to do with it going forward IMO. As far as Ambrose is concerned the kid has done nothing wrong, but if Oats honors 4 year commitments to kids rather than looking to improve the team at every available opportunity he could find himself unemployed or coaching at west Memphis state. I Don't like it either but you know as well as I do if he doesn't utilize transfers somebody will write a hit piece about kids like Burnett excelling at other schools when Oats could have them playing for the tide.

Of course everyone looks good on a highlight tape but I do wonder if we have more of a need for a 6'8'' Gurley over a Burnett (when we have Primo, Ellis, and others about that height/style, on the roster). Gurley looks pretty good here - Noah Gurley Furman highlights

Reactions: rsaxoniii
I questioned last week whether Oats would have offered Jones and Petty and was quickly informed that their instate rankings would have warranted offers. That may be true but in-state isn't going to have anything to do with it going forward IMO. As far as Ambrose is concerned the kid has done nothing wrong, but if Oats honors 4 year commitments to kids rather than looking to improve the team at every available opportunity he could find himself unemployed or coaching at west Memphis state. I Don't like it either but you know as well as I do if he doesn't utilize transfers somebody will write a hit piece about kids like Burnett excelling at other schools when Oats could have them playing for the tide.

But, let's say he does it and we get a much improved team or if he passes. He's judged on Wins and losses, not what ifs! When a coach can be fired at the drop of the hat for poor performance, why can't he/she try to get the best players to "win" despite being loyal to local talent?

Reactions: frazor
I'm not expecting CNO to call and ask for my opinion, but I think I would rather have the forward from ECU than Gurley if we're gonna dip into the portal. He put up better numbers in a tougher conference.
Yeah but the kid has to want to come to Alabama too. It takes mutual interest

@Harper41
Just curious regarding your thoughts on Keon Ambrose. Obviously, he needs more development. But he looks like a good sized kid who hustles, can run the floor and rebound. He seems to have soft hands and a nice touch around the basket too. I did notice he still needs work on defending down in the post but that should come in time.
I like Keon and could see him developing, but I think Bediako is more of a sure thing than Keon and that’s what it would likely come down too. A lot higher ceiling and a higher floor at this time for Bediako.

But, let's say he does it and we get a much improved team or if he passes. He's judged on Wins and losses, not what ifs! When a coach can be fired at the drop of the hat for poor performance, why can't he/she try to get the best players to "win" despite being loyal to local talent?
Oh you're preaching to the choir man.

Reactions: pfaud001
It’s a good situation to be in for this team. I get the feeling if an upgrade in talent is available, CNO will try to arrange it Whether we think it’s right or wrong.

Anyone know what time Burnett makes his decision known?

Hey Harper, I’m curious to hear if the staff has pursued Walker Kessler out of UNC. He would be perfect for our system, plus we could keep him away from Auburn

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT