ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor on JQ's Departure

lainey2020

All American
Gold Member
May 15, 2022
l heard this morning that he was upset about the young man from NDSU NIL deal. l believe this is true. Damn l hated to lose JQ. IMO he is our only true PG. Sears and Estrada are both better as 2 Guards.

By the way this makes me bat .500. l said way back when the younger JQ left that l did not expect JQ to play for Bama this year. Looks like that had nothing to do with it, but l was correct. l also said at the time that l expected Bediako to be back. Well at least now l'm not batting.000, but l wish l was.

Big loss IMO.

l heard this morning that he was upset about the young man from NDSU NIL deal. l believe this is true. Damn l hated to lose JQ. IMO he is our only true PG. Sears and Estrada are both better as 2 Guards.

By the way this makes me bat .500. l said way back when the younger JQ left that l did not expect JQ to play for Bama this year. Looks like that had nothing to do with it, but l was correct. l also said at the time that l expected Bediako to be back. Well at least now l'm not batting.000, but l wish l was.

Big loss IMO.
I heard aaron suttles from yea, Alabama collective mention JQ was enticed by seton hall and Miami with a strong ass offer

Both could be true .. he could be pissed about NDSU player and had an offer

Reactions: bet9 and lainey2020
All of this sucks. We just won’t have players that stay more than 1 to 2 years going forward.
Yes, it sucks.

I get players wanting to move if they feel a need to change but college sports just flat isn't ready for the double whammy of unfettered wild west free agency combined with an NIL that basically has no rules other than highest bidder usually wins. Not even pro sports let players move this easily and allow them to up their contracts at will year over year. Pro's have bargaining agreements, caps, contracts, franchise players etc. Basically they have rules so one stupidly rich owner can't buy every great player every off season and make it impossible for anyone else to compete.

Sadly, the only fix would be fans deciding if they want to watch highly paid athletes they'll watch the pro game and pass on minor league stuff.

Our football and basketball has benefited about as much as it has lost from all this. Gained more than lost in some ways. But basically every other sport on campus is getting the wrong end of all this and is going to be raped every off season.

Yes, it sucks.

I get players wanting to move if they feel a need to change but college sports just flat isn't ready for the double whammy of unfettered wild west free agency combined with an NIL that basically has no rules other than highest bidder usually wins. Not even pro sports let players move this easily and allow them to up their contracts at will year over year. Pro's have bargaining agreements, caps, contracts, franchise players etc. Basically they have rules so one stupidly rich owner can't buy every great player every off season and make it impossible for anyone else to compete.

Sadly, the only fix would be fans deciding if they want to watch highly paid athletes they'll watch the pro game and pass on minor league stuff.

Our football and basketball has benefited about as much as it has lost from all this. Gained more than lost in some ways. But basically every other sport on campus is getting the wrong end of all this and is going to be raped every off season.

Ironically the other sports had the free transfer rule for a long time before basketball and football implemented it, fans just only started caring once it came to football and basketball

FWIW we stayed in the team hotel during the Birmingham regional. My daughter saw Jahvon standing by himself waiting for a ride to the arena. She walked up to him and gave him a Roll Tide. He had the biggest smile and gave her a hug. JQ waved to me and wife and gave a Roll Tide before heading out. Pretty cool moment for my daughter.

I hate this situation but I'll always root for Jahvon and wish him nothing but the best going forward. RTR!

All of this sucks. We just won’t have players that stay more than 1 to 2 years going
It appears the better they are, the harder it is to hang on to them. Between the NBA aroma, NIL cash money, and ease of transfer, it's like trying to maintain a hold on a greased pig.
Got to forget about a arena and use limited funds to buy players. Putting a winning team in Coleman arena helped sell out every home game. Winning even got Saban to most of the home games this year. Winning with players like Miller is the key to keeping the success of Alabama basketball. Unfortunately spending the limited funds is in NIL not a new arena. If a new arena was the answer then how did we beat Arkansas, Auburn, & T&AM on the road. I was there when we blew out LSU. You couldn’t ask for a better atmosphere than Coleman on that day. It’s about winning and nothing else. You can dream of a new arena but it’s a pipe dream. Unless you get the players no coach can win, and if you don’t win the whole program falls back into mediocrity. Auburn has proven that a new arena isn’t going to help you win!!

Last edited:
Yes, it sucks.

It is what it is. Use what ever financial resources you have in the program to buy players as crazy as it sounds.

Got to forget about a arena and use limited funds to buy players. Putting a winning team in Coleman arena helped sell out every home game. Winning even got Saban to most of the home games this year. Winning with players like Miller is the key to keeping the success of Alabama basketball. Unfortunately spending the limited funds is in NIL not a new arena. If a new arena was the answer then how did we beat Arkansas, Auburn, & T&AM on the road. I was there when we blew out LSU. You couldn’t ask for a better atmosphere than Coleman on that day. It’s about winning and nothing else. You can dream of a new arena but it’s a pipe dream. Unless you get the players no coach can win, and if you don’t win the whole program falls back into mediocrity. Auburn has proven that a new arena isn’t going to help you win!!
Lost to Aggies on the road last year. Auburn has been to a Final Four since building their arena.

Just stop. Your posts are getting more ridiculous by the day.

Lost to Aggies on the road last year. Auburn has been to a Final Four since building their arena.

Just stop. Your posts are getting more ridiculous by the day.
I think a arena is a ridiculous argument . Do you not remember Auburns claims of owning Coleman arena?????? Not anymore! You’re a fan that don’t understand business. I hope you understand your own finances better than you wish for the program.

Reactions: bet9 and RANGER520
I think a arena is a ridiculous argument . Do you not remember Auburns claims of owning Coleman arena?????? Not anymore! You’re a fan that don’t understand business. I hope you understand your own finances better than you wish for the program.
Maybe there was a better time a few years ago to build this micro arena. But, we were a mediocre team and there was very little interest in our basketball program. At the time a micro arena seemed about the size we needed. But, we have won 2 SEC titles and gone deep into March. The support is there now. Selling out the 15000 seat Coleman and spending 250000 that you don’t have. When rivals like Arkansas is buying players with NIL funds seems crazy to me that you would even bring up a costly arena. Your a dreamer. Maybe a micro arena makes good sense to our little bother in Auburn but it doesn’t make sense to the future of Alabama basketball.

Oh the politics of college sports. Just like Congress, money talks...
I agree but can you really blame them? I'd dare say 95% of all people who are going to make a career out of basketball probably know by the age of 20. That leaves 1000's of kids trying to get some cash during their college eligible days. I mean didn't the great women's player at LSU forgo the WNBA because she can make more as a Sr. in college??

Reactions: bet9 and JMusso72
I agree but can you really blame them? I'd dare say 95% of all people who are going to make a career out of basketball probably know by the age of 20. That leaves 1000's of kids trying to get some cash during their college eligible days. I mean didn't the great women's player at LSU forgo the WNBA because she can make more as a Sr. in college??
The highest paid player in the wnba makes over 200k…. Because no one cares😂

I’d have stayed too because LSU likely pays more than most wnba players make ..

Reactions: bet9
Understand finances just fine. You are out on a island with this one. Let.’s just keep playing in a 55 year old airplane hanger of a facility with horrible seating for students.

Reactions: jjerry
Maybe there was a better time a few years ago to build this micro arena. But, we were a mediocre team and there was very little interest in our basketball program. At the time a micro arena seemed about the size we needed. But, we have won 2 SEC titles and gone deep into March. The support is there now. Selling out the 15000 seat Coleman and spending 250000 that you don’t have. When rivals like Arkansas is buying players with NIL funds seems crazy to me that you would even bring up a costly arena. Your a dreamer. Maybe a micro arena makes good sense to our little bother in Auburn but it doesn’t make sense to the future of Alabama basketball.
Were quite a few home games last year that were not sold out. So that is also incorrect.

Understand finances just fine. You are out on a island with this one. Let.’s just keep playing in a 55 year old airplane hanger of a facility with horrible seating for students.
I’m sorry but in life you have to make decisions on what you need verses what you desire. It’s called a budget. Without a budget you end up spending more than you can possibly pay. That’s why so many Americans end up in bankruptcy. Bankruptcy sometimes forgives dept to people who trusted that you would pay back what you owe. Hurting and victimizing a merchant. So, when a committee decides that a new arena is a to high investment then you should be proud that they made a responsible decision.

Were quite a few home games last year that were not sold out. So that is also incorrect.
You are correct there was some seats in the corner nose bleed sections. But the seats that were sold could not have fit into a 10000 seat arena. Guess what happens when you have more fans wanting to get in than there are seats? Like paying 8 dollars for a beer? Guess what you will pay for a ticket? That is if we keep winning and if we don’t then you will have empty seats in your micro arena.

1st of all I’m not a student. But, in the last 10 years student enrollment has doubled at the university of Alabama so I don’t think they mind watching games in a hanger. Coleman was nothing like I expected after reading this forum. I think it was very nice. The students & the players seemed to be happy there. I had a seat in the nose bleed section because it was a sell out. 15000 fans rocking.

Whether we like it or not, NIL is the new way of life. If we do not have boosters prepared to pay the freight, ala Arkansas, then we are not going to win championships. I got news for you, Kentucky, where players have been paid for years, is not winning championships either. When players are paid more than assistant coaches, the teams will become uncoachable.

For those that think arenas win titles, have you seen where Florida Atlantic, San Diego State and U of Miami play?

When players are paid more than assistant coaches, the teams will become uncoachable.
yep

For those that think arenas win titles, have you seen where Florida Atlantic, San Diego State and U of Miami play?
Or Purdue's Mackey Arena? It feels like being in one of those one Mole people tunnels in Vegas. What's a Mole people tunnel? YouTube it. ;)

• Haha
Whether we like it or not, NIL is the new way of life. If we do not have boosters prepared to pay the freight, ala Arkansas, then we are not going to win championships. I got news for you, Kentucky, where players have been paid for years, is not winning championships either. When players are paid more than assistant coaches, the teams will become uncoachable.

Or UConn. Their main home arena is a dump. Coleman looks like the Crypto.com Arena (formerly the Staples Center) compared to that place.

Or UConn. Their main home arena is a dump. Coleman looks like the Crypto.com Arena (formerly the Staples Center) compared to that place.
As I walked up to Coleman this year expecting it to be the dump that I had heard about. From the parking lot I said yep looks like a hanger. But when I got inside it looked surprisingly nice. The only seats I could get were one row from the very top. Surprisingly I had a good view of the game. I trust the committee will make the right decision at the right time for a new arena. Hopefully we are still in the beginning stage of Nate Oats success. The fans base has grown in the last three years. If the basketball program keeps the success going who knows if we may need more 15000 seats in three more years. My hats off to all of you that supported the program when we were mediocre. Hopefully the committee has a real vision for the future when the time is right for a new arena.

Reactions: lainey2020
As I walked up to Coleman this year expecting it to be the dump that I had heard about. From the parking lot I said yep looks like a hanger. But when I got inside it looked surprisingly nice. The only seats I could get were one row from the very top. Surprisingly I had a good view of the game. I trust the committee will make the right decision at the right time for a new arena. Hopefully we are still in the beginning stage of Nate Oats success. The fans base has grown in the last three years. If the basketball program keeps the success going who knows if we may need more 15000 seats in three more years. My hats off to all of you that supported the program when we were mediocre. Hopefully the committee has a real vision for the future when the time is right for a new arena.

Coleman really isn't that bad of a facility and I've also said nothing under 15k seats if you build a new one but there is something that really is bad about Coleman.....it's the seating. The top section should somewhat overhang the lower section which would've put you still on top of the court in your next to last row.

You are further away up there than a normal basketball gym is and it kinda sucks.

Coleman really isn't that bad of a facility and I've also said nothing under 15k seats if you build a new one but there is something that really is bad about Coleman.....it's the seating. The top section should somewhat overhang the lower section which would've put you still on top of the court in your next to last row.

You are further away up there than a normal basketball gym is and it kinda sucks.
Yea, some of the top corner seats could be eliminated, but if people will buy a ticket there then if does make sense.

When I was climbing those stairs to the top at Coleman I wondered if anyone has ever trip and fell. You would stop rolling until you reached the lower section. At $8.00 a beer maybe there isn’t to many drunks climbing those concrete steps.

Well if he’s upset over nil that’s what these players wanted you take good with the bad
I thought NIL was supposed to be selling image and likeness? If no on wants to buy a JQ jersey then that’s not the university’s problem. I read an article today aimed at Arkansas, Texas and Tam where the boosters were not allowed to affect recruiting. The NCAA said it doesn’t matter what the state law says. That each university has to comply with NCAA rules and state laws on NIL doesn’t matter. If this is true in the way I interpreted the article it could put NIL in a more favorable context.

What are you talking about? There is so much wrong in this post it is hard to write. We didn’t sell out every home game. We didn’t beat A&M on the road. We beat and Ark and the Barn because we had a really good team. NIL is obviously important, but Brandon Miller did not get that much in NIL money and he still came. A new arena is not a pipe dream. Auburn is the blueprint for why a new arena is needed. They have the best home court advantage in the SEC BY FAR!!! They were an absolute dog shit program and now they are running near the top Most years. Pearl is definitely the main reason, but that arena is a huge advantage. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.

Reactions: GOBAMA100
What are you talking about? There is so much wrong in this post it is hard to write. We didn’t sell out every home game. We didn’t beat A&M on the road. We beat and Ark and the Barn because we had a really good team. NIL is obviously important, but Brandon Miller did not get that much in NIL money and he still came. A new arena is not a pipe dream. Auburn is the blueprint for why a new arena is needed. They have the best home court advantage in the SEC BY FAR!!! They were an absolute dog shit program and now they are running near the top Most years. Pearl is definitely the main reason, but that arena is a huge advantage. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.
You have no ideal what you talking about. I don’t even know where to start with your wild rumblings. Why don’t you let the committee decide how big and when to build the arena. I agree some games were not sold out. I will go ahead a predict that the Clemson game will not be sold out this year. Why because it’s a 8:30 game on Tuesday night. Same as the Wedsday night games that were not sold out. Some people work for a living and can not make a weeknight game. You like the way Auburn does things then you can go pull for them. I’m 63 and Auburn has always been trying to be like us. I will never be for the university follow their lead in anything.

You have no ideal what you talking about. I don’t even know where to start with your wild rumblings. Why don’t you let the committee decide how big and when to build the arena. I agree some games were not sold out. I will go ahead a predict that the Clemson game will not be sold out this year. Why because it’s a 8:30 game on Tuesday night. Same as the Wedsday night games that were not sold out. Some people work for a living and can not make a weeknight game. You like the way Auburn does things then you can go pull for them. I’m 63 and Auburn has always been trying to be like us. I will never be for the university follow their lead in anything.
Good lord. Please leave basketball discussion to those who have a semblance of understanding.

Reactions: pfaud001
Good lord. Please leave basketball discussion to those who have a semblance of understanding.
Yea I’ve been on this board maybe a month and I can already tell that most everyone here hangs on to your well thought out advice. Even now there is probably 20 maybe 30 people waiting for your guidance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT