ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Notes on Arkansas

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Rewatching some tape and looking at stats on Arkansas, they're not as good as you might think.

Their adjusted non conference schedule ranks in the 150's which is middle of the pack, as we all know they schedule light in the non conference. SO when you look at their stats they're a little skewed based on competition.

Judging by SEC play, they're arguably the worst shooting team in the conference, especially from deep. They have shot 18% from 3 overall in their 3 conference games. Only 12 points of their 76 ppg comes from outside (19% of total output). To go along with their awful shooting from outside, they're also shooting 61% from the FT line while averaging 22 FTA a game. Here is how their scoring breakdown is: 60% inside, 21% from FT, and 19% from 3. They make their living inside while having a very lengthy and athletic 4 guard lineup.

Defensively is where they typically are really good. They are ranked 7th in the country in tempo adjusted defense per KenPom. They allow below 45% shooting from the field in SEC play and they're top 30 in 3 pointers given up and 3 % allowed to opponents. They make you earn it and want to slow the pace down when they're on defense, and push it if they can on the rebound. They're around the top 50 in adjusted tempo so they like to play fast because they know they're not a good shooting team.

Alabama matches up very well with Arkansas defensively, because Alabama ranks 11th in opponent 3% at 27.8% and 26th in opponent 3's made per game with 5.5. They have the length to match them, but also quicker in transition as Alabama ranks 3rd in the country in adjusted tempo. It will come down to turnovers and if Alabama can limit them in a very tough environment.

I think it will be a tough test on the road and Bama has to show up and play. Very winnable game for the Tide unless they just come in flat after the big blow out of Kentucky. I had picked this game as one of the two they might loss in January. The other being Missouri or Kentucky for me. We are 1-0 so far. Hoping tonight it gets to 2 and 0 of these three.

Will Oats play zone defense? The zone was very effective for AU.
He's done that like once in 3 years at Bama if memory serves. I'd say we play under screens rather than Chase them off the line. Of course I realize that will allow Arkansas to go 8/10 from three in the first half.

Will Oats play zone defense? The zone was very effective for AU.
I wish we knew how to play zone. Every time Oats has tried to go with a zone it's looked like he picked up 5 guys on the rec courts and told them to play zone. IMO with the right 5 out there we could have the length and quicks to do some really crazy stuff with a zone. We wouldn't need to run it for long to force a timeout from the other coach and sort of reset our position.

Reactions: lainey2020 and bet9
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT