ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Tournament seeding scenario

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
After Alabama’s loss today paired with AU and UK winning, there’s one game all Tide fans should pay attention to: Miss St and TAMU. Here’s the scenario:

If MSU wins Alabama is the 5th seed facing the winner of Ole Miss/Missouri then Arkansas

If Texas A&M wins Alabama is the 6th seed facing the winner of Vandy/UGA then Kentucky.

I would much rather Miss St win no doubt.

After Alabama’s loss today paired with AU and UK winning, there’s one game all Tide fans should pay attention to: Miss St and TAMU. Here’s the scenario:

If MSU wins Alabama is the 5th seed facing the winner of Ole Miss/Missouri then Arkansas

If Texas A&M wins Alabama is the 6th seed facing the winner of Vandy/UGA then Kentucky.

I would much rather Miss St win no doubt.
I’m tired of playing UK in the tourney. Anybody but them.

Reactions: Jordan Harper
It basically doesn’t matter in my eyes. We need to win against that first opponent then anything else is a bonus. I know winning the conference tournament is awesome but I’m not sure a couple extra days off the legs wouldn’t be advantageous for our guys

I’m not bracketologist but I think 6 seed is the floor and 5 the ceiling. I supposed if we lose to a scrub team Thursday the 7 may be on the table
7 is pretty much off the table I think unless something crazy happens. They’re probably top 6 seed right now. Win 2 games and you’re back in the 5 discussion

I would love to see a run. But with this team, probably the best thing that could happen with them is the season ending.
I think it was too high of expectations after last season, but this team has just been mostly disappointing to watch.

I would love to see a run. But with this team, probably the best thing that could happen with them is the season ending.
I think it was too high of expectations after last season, but this team has just been mostly disappointing to watch.
Yes this team has been hard on the heart but why would you be ready for it to end? Just make the tournament baby and go from there. Surely nobody thought we were an elite 8 team going in to this season did they??

Reactions: bet9
I hope they surprise me, but I’ve come to expect a loss at this point. The only recent game that wasn’t close was South Carolina (and that got closer than it should have been). This team does very little well. Talent is the only thing that keeps them in the game. I guess they shoot the FTs well. Defense, the 3 ball, and turnovers hamper any chance of being great. It has to be attitude. There is no coach on the planet that couldn’t at least improve one of these problem areas. Hell, improve just one, and we have 4 more wins.

Reactions: mikeinwesttn
Yes this team has been hard on the heart but why would you be ready for it to end? Just make the tournament baby and go from there. Surely nobody thought we were an elite 8 team going in to this season did they??

I kind of thought elite eight. Yea, bad on me. They have the potential. Just not the ? Something is missing with them for sure.

I made Final Four hotel reservations last April, so count me as one fan who thought we were potentially better than Elite 8.

The ‘04 elite eight team was very hard to watch as well and they got hot at the right time. Never wish for a tournament team’s season to end. First time making the tourney in back to back years in a long time. Just enjoy it
Harper, I know these are tough questions ..

You know the differential between average turnovers per game this season versus last season ?

Who Are the top two on this year’s team in turnover per game average ?

You know the differential between average turnovers per game this season versus last season ?

Last years team averaged 13.9 turnovers per game and forced opponents into 15.3 per game, for a net of +1.4.
This years team averages 14.5 turnovers per game and forces opponents into 13.1 per game, for a net if -1.4.
That's a net swing of -2.8 from last year to this year. Couple that with our woeful shooting % this year and you have the primary reason for our struggles IMO.

JQ averages 3.0 turnovers per game, and JD averages 2.8. Shack is third at 2.0.

Reactions: Codie B

Slightly worse this year average per game. Less than 1 more per game this year and that’s coming off 2 horrible games turnover wise. The difference is we are worse on defense by a pretty significant margin. We actually score more points per game this year despite being worse from 3

Our number of turnovers are always going to be up bc we do have more possessions per game than most teams, but you still want to get that number down below 12 imo.

Reactions: BeastofBourbon
If Herb could hit one of four free throws they might have been.
I was talking about our team this year. I made reservations last April for this year’s Final Four in New Orleans. That’s how strongly I believed in this team before the season started. I have until April 1 to cancel with no penalty, so I’m still holding out hope that we’ll go on a miracle run.

I was talking about our team this year. I made reservations last April for this year’s Final Four in New Orleans. That’s how strongly I believed in this team before the season started. I have until April 1 to cancel with no penalty, so I’m still holding out hope that we’ll go on a miracle run.
Got it/ before Primo left and Burnett got hurt. Made a difference.

Last years team averaged 13.9 turnovers per game and forced opponents into 15.3 per game, for a net of +1.4.
This years team averages 14.5 turnovers per game and forces opponents into 13.1 per game, for a net if -1.4.
That's a net swing of -2.8 from last year to this year. Couple that with our woeful shooting % this year and you have the primary reason for our struggles IMO.

But somehow these turnovers look so much worse.

I cannot wrap my head around JQ averaging more TO’s than JD. Seems bizarre

Reactions: frazor

We were also a much better defensive team last year.

Difference to me this year is shooting % and the defense. Turnovers will always be there with this style of play, but not shooting lights out every game has been the big difference to me and we are still averaging 80 points per game. Second big difference is defense not forcing turnovers.

Reactions: cola68 and Codie B
Not your best post my man.

Reactions: bet9
ADVERTISEMENT