ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball ⚾️ Skip Bayless - Alabama was robbed and there is evidence

Bama Swoosh

All American
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2002
"This game got stolen out from under them" - I'm not much of a Bayless fan, and this doesn't make a difference today, but I do agree with him that two horrible calls absolutely changed the winner of the game. As he points out, the horrendous FT shooting also killed us, but even with that, Gary was clearly hacked (no call), and UCLA's PG charged against Herb in a fashion they had called a charge on the whole game, and no call again. If they had called that charge, Bama is UP 62-61 with the ball and 14 seconds left. Obviously if we just shoot 65% from the line we don't have to worry about it, but yes I will still be bitter about the BS at the end of the game, just like when Trevor Releford was fouled shooting a three against Creighton, no call.
Also the play with the ball ever so slightly scratching Petty's shorts makes me want to suggest to our athletics department that we go full on tight 1980s short shorts forever so this mess never happens again.
We should be playing Michigan tonight. Dammit.

"This game got stolen out from under them" - I'm not much of a Bayless fan, and this doesn't make a difference today, but I do agree with him that two horrible calls absolutely changed the winner of the game. As he points out, the horrendous FT shooting also killed us, but even with that, Gary was clearly hacked (no call), and UCLA's PG charged against Herb in a fashion they had called a charge on the whole game, and no call again. If they had called that charge, Bama is UP 62-61 with the ball and 14 seconds left. Obviously if we just shoot 65% from the line we don't have to worry about it, but yes I will still be bitter about the BS at the end of the game, just like when Trevor Releford was fouled shooting a three against Creighton, no call.
Also the play with the ball ever so slightly scratching Petty's shorts makes me want to suggest to our athletics department that we go full on tight 1980s short shorts forever so this mess never happens again.

65%?? Hell, all we needed to shoot was 48% from the line. One more free throw in regulation and we win.

Heck if we make the front end of a one and one, we could still have shot 47% for the game from the free throw line and have won the game.

Bayless did miss a point. If the charge had been called, as it had been called all game, then UCLA's point guard, Campbell, has fouled out of the game and Alabama has the in bounds play with 14 seconds left in the game. You presume we make the in bounds pass and we make the foul shots that would have followed.

In the foul is called on Campbell, he is not in the game to make the drive and dish to Benard at the beginning of the overtime or the steal on Quinnerly that busted the overtime open. The main point is that if that was not a charge by Campbell neither are the two charges by Jones at the beginning of the game and/or the charges on Ellis that changed the game.

Last edited:
They were missed calls that we all saw in real time. But there are missed called throughout the game on both sides. Alabama did not deserve to win the game; they choked it away with miss FT after FT and some questionable coaching decisions.

They also missed the kicked ball on the Petty play. They really didn’t miss it since one of the refs indicated the ball was kicked

Reactions: BamaTexan
I do think with herb it came down to his performance. Like it or not you don't get handed the game winning charge call when you have maybe 2 points and have been missing on all the opportunities they've already given you. Still probably a foul but on Gary totally agree.

Shack is still probably the most important variable in our poor performances, after chewing on this game for a bit. Part on him and part on coaching for not getting more out of him through whatever means necessary with in game coaching of what we're doing out there. Can't have your best scorer with those numbers. Oats needs to take a hard look at this and how to get shack his best opportunities on any given night. He'll still be a huge part, maybe more so, of what we do next year.

Last edited:

Should have been called a kicked ball, we retain possession.

I think of the "at the rim" misses we had combined with our FT %. One more made free throw, one of those rim runners drop in we win. We were the better team, we
beat ourselves. BUT, I see bright days ahead for this program. RTR

This was a tough loss. Clearly because the best team did not win the game. Granted we did not help ourselves at the free throw line, but we did enough to win the game. If one of the three horrendous calls go our way I like our chances to win. These three calls will haunt Bama fans for a long time because this team had the talent to be Bama's first Final Four team. Short Gate, Hack Gate and Charge Gate this game will be remembered for years to come.

I will not blame the officiating when we miss 14 of 25 free throws.

I think of the "at the rim" misses we had combined with our FT %. One more made free throw, one of those rim runners drop in we win. We were the better team, we
Was not a kicked ball- his foot was on the floor and never moved. Petty dribbled it off his foot.

Guys - it's ok to talk about the horrendous missed calls. Yes, of course, it shouldn't have mattered if we just make free throws. The refs did not cost us the game; however, they shit the bed on those calls and it can be noted. Gary was absolutely hacked. Clear charge on Tyger Campbell against Herb at the end.

They were missed calls that we all saw in real time. But there are missed called throughout the game on both sides. Alabama did not deserve to win the game; they choked it away with miss FT after FT and some questionable coaching decisions.
Well if Alabama didn’t deserve to win it then I’m not sure UCLA did either. They barely beat Bama on a bad night for Bama. I guarantee tons of teams have played poorly and advanced and won it all. Part of it. Gotta win when you don’t play well.

Well if Alabama didn’t deserve to win it then I’m not sure UCLA did either. They barely beat Bama on a bad night for Bama. I guarantee tons of teams have played poorly and advanced and won it all. Part of it. Gotta win when you don’t play well.
UCLA was the underdog and they didn't shit the bed by giving the game away. Not only that, but 86% of the time a team hit a 3 to force overtime, that teams win. UCLA curb-stomped Alabama in that OT. They most certainly deserved to win it more than Bama which is why they are playing today and Bama is back at home.

UCLA was the underdog and they didn't shit the bed by giving the game away. Not only that, but 86% of the time a team hit a 3 to force overtime, that teams win. UCLA curb-stomped Alabama in that OT. They most certainly deserved to win it more than Bama which is why they are playing today and Bama is back at home.

There was an obvious momentum shift in our favor going into OT, and you could tell UCLA was visibly shell shocked. Totally surprised how lopsided that OT period was in their favor.

There was an obvious momentum shift in our favor going into OT, and you could tell UCLA was visibly shell shocked. Totally surprised how lopsided that OT period was in their favor.
Bama stopped playing D after that initial 3 and started pressing on offense. Firmly believe Bama wins 4 of any 5 games played against this UCLA team.
But the way it was lost will sting for a very long time.

The 14 missed free throws were the worst free throw performance by any team in a tourney game where a team shot 25 free throws since 2003.
Basketball equivalent of the Kick Six at the Barn in 2013.

They weren’t a 20 point underdog. But the Bama didn’t “deserve” to win it is stupid. Bama was terrible from the FT line but that happens. That doesn’t make a team less deserving. UCLA wasn’t any more deserving. They just made plays to win the game and won.

They weren’t a 20 point underdog. But the Bama didn’t “deserve” to win it is stupid. Bama was terrible from the FT line but that happens. That doesn’t make a team less deserving. UCLA wasn’t any more deserving. They just made plays to win the game and won.
Sorry, I see it differently. You hit 11-23 from the FT line in regulation; you don't deserve to win an NCAA Tournament game, much less a game in the second weekend.

These are college players playing at the highest level; they are not middle school players. I would be shocked if my 12yo team shot that shitty from the FT line. And if they did and lost, I would tell the they didn't deserve to win.

Reactions: cpat4bama
The refs missing calls at critical points of the game didn't cost us a victory it was the fact we didn't hit every shot from the field and the free throw line or we should've never turned the ball over while not ever committing a foul....we are expected to do everything perfect, well maybe not according to the majority the only thing that matters in basketball is free throws...

Sorry sweethearts but to take up for pos refs while blaming our players for not shooting like Jesus would is about stupid.

The refs missing calls at critical points of the game didn't cost us a victory it was the fact we didn't hit every shot from the field and the free throw line or we should've never turned the ball over while not ever committing a foul....we are expected to do everything perfect, well maybe not according to the majority the only thing that matters in basketball is free throws...

Sorry sweethearts but to take up for pos refs while blaming our players for not shooting like Jesus would is about stupid.
Yeah saying "didn't deserve to win bc of missing FT's..." makes me ask, did Herb deserve to get that charge call after he perfectly positioned himself and made the great defensive play? I'd say he deserved it. Doesn't mean we woulda won but it is 100% a different ballgame, our ball, up 1, 15 seconds rather than trailing. Did Herb deserve the call? If not, why not? Sounds like personal value judgements being presented as facts. This is a separate convo from why we lost.

Yeah saying "didn't deserve to win bc of missing FT's..." makes me ask, did Herb deserve to get that charge call after he perfectly positioned himself and made the great defensive play? I'd say he deserved it. Doesn't mean we woulda won but it is 100% a different ballgame, our ball, up 1, 15 seconds rather than trailing. Did Herb deserve the call? If not, why not? Sounds like personal value judgements being presented as facts. This is a separate convo from why we lost.
Blaming the ref for missing a couple of calls at the end of a game is loser's mentality IMO. The ref missed fouls against Bama during the game. Are those possible FT any less important? Hell no, two points is two points.

No one is asking the players to “shoot like Jesus,” but damn, you can't shoot like Shaq as a team and expect to win a tournament game.

Also, calling these men/women who ref the game POS because a call didn't go your way is low; you don't know them. Their human and make mistakes.

Just admit that the players affect the outcome of a game far more than the refs and the players shit the bed. Oats himself shit the bed with some questionable decisions, so as a team, they didn't deserve to win. JMO and I don't see it any other way.

Reactions: cpat4bama

14 missed free throws vs a couple of bad calls. I know which one determined the outcome more than the other.
The ones shooting lost this game.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23

We’d be getting our asses kicked tonight. We were able to completely throw away the first half of 4 straight postseason games and get away with it but couldn’t make the fifth.

Reactions: BamaTexan
Blaming the ref for missing a couple of calls at the end of a game is loser's mentality IMO. The ref missed fouls against Bama during the game. Are those possible FT any less important? Hell no, two points is two points.

No one is asking the players to “shoot like Jesus,” but damn, you can't shoot like Shaq as a team and expect to win a tournament game.

Also, calling these men/women who ref the game POS because a call didn't go your way is low; you don't know them. Their human and make mistakes.

Just admit that the players affect the outcome of a game far more than the refs and the players shit the bed. Oats himself shit the bed with some questionable decisions, so as a team, they didn't deserve to win. JMO and I don't see it any other way.

Whatever man...this thread is about Alabama being robbed because of missed calls and they weren't missed they were judgement calls because of the amount of time left in the game.

And you choose to take up for the refs and not our players....makes no sense... you're just arguing.

I'm not going to admit shit because some games can come down to one free throw, one shot, one turnover, and one call.

Reactions: bet9
Whatever man...this thread is about Alabama being robbed because of missed calls and they weren't missed they were judgement calls because of the amount of time left in the game.

And you choose to take up for the refs and not our players....makes no sense... you're just arguing.

I'm not going to admit shit because some games can come down to one free throw, one shot, one turnover, and one call.
Because calls are missed throughout the game, on both teams. What is so hard for some of you to understand that? Blaming the refs for a game you win easily if you made one of the most effortless shots in the game is just weak-minded. It's not the ref's fault Bama lost, period. Bama is the reason Bama lost.

Because calls are missed throughout the game, on both teams. What is so hard for some of you to understand that? Blaming the refs for a game you win easily if you made one of the most effortless shots in the game is just weak-minded. It's not the ref's fault Bama lost, period. Bama is the reason Bama lost.
In some fan’s mind the refs are the only reason their team ever loses.

What was the questionable coaching decisions?

What was the questionable coaching decisions?
Putting Herb back in the game in the first half when the lineup out there had the momentum and was on their way to building a double-digit lead. Herb had two fouls and didnt play as aggress as the lineup he had out there. Refusing to call TO when UCLA was going on a run, UCLA coach however, masterfully called them to stop Bama’s momentum.

Putting the ball in Herb's hands at the end of the game while up by two. This took the ball out of JQs hand, who had been able to get to the basket at will.

After Herb didn't come through the first time, he put it back in his hands while down by one, again taking it out of JQs hands. Herb is a great player but offensively challenged at times and this game was one of those times.

Don't know why you quoted my post. Neither of your last two posts addressed what I said in any way. Don't trouble yourself, seriously, but don't feel like you spit some facts. I already explained and asked a simple question. Certainly don't care to argue with you about it. Everyone knows how you operate and everyone thinks you're a know-it-all joke.

Reactions: bet9 and rsaxoniii
Don't know why you quoted my post. Neither of your last two posts addressed what I said in any way. Don't trouble yourself, seriously, but don't feel like you spit some facts. I already explained and asked a simple question. Certainly don't care to argue with you about it. Everyone knows how you operate and everyone thinks you're a know-it-all joke.
Everyone huh? Talk about being a sensitive snowflake. Butthurt over others having a different opinion.

Butthurt over losing game so you blame the refs. Now butthurt that not everyone is as mentally weak to place all the blame on two bad calls as you are.

Even after apathetic play the entire game, Reese said no let's do it again for five minutes. neither team did deserve it in regulation, which is why they played more. A three pointer and herb then throws it to their point guard at the top of the key for a layup and close to done at that point. Live or die with herb Jones and he's always allowed to really drive things in the ground even when it's obvious what's happening to us.

ADVERTISEMENT