ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball ⚾️ Skip Bayless - Alabama was robbed and there is evidence

14 missed free throws vs a couple of bad calls. I know which one determined the outcome more than the other.
The ones shooting lost this game.

Why don’t you blame missed 3s? One of those misses goes in and Bama overcomes a horrible FT night and wins.

And then there are three calls which benefitted UCLA, any of which would have changed the game in Bama’s favor, FT misses aside.

Sometimes you have to catch a break when things aren’t going your way, and Bama didn’t get one when needed, much less rightly.

Care to refute?

Reactions: rsaxoniii
Putting Herb back in the game in the first half when the lineup out there had the momentum and was on their way to building a double-digit lead. Herb had two fouls and didnt play as aggress as the lineup he had out there. Refusing to call TO when UCLA was going on a run, UCLA coach however, masterfully called them to stop Bama’s momentum.

Putting the ball in Herb's hands at the end of the game while up by two. This took the ball out of JQs hand, who had been able to get to the basket at will.

After Herb didn't come through the first time, he put it back in his hands while down by one, again taking it out of JQs hands. Herb is a great player but offensively challenged at times and this game was one of those times.

The time-out thing is a valid point. I thought we banked them for too long, and at least one should have been used to stem UCLA runs.

"This game got stolen out from under them" - I'm not much of a Bayless fan, and this doesn't make a difference today, but I do agree with him that two horrible calls absolutely changed the winner of the game. As he points out, the horrendous FT shooting also killed us, but even with that, Gary was clearly hacked (no call), and UCLA's PG charged against Herb in a fashion they had called a charge on the whole game, and no call again. If they had called that charge, Bama is UP 62-61 with the ball and 14 seconds left. Obviously if we just shoot 65% from the line we don't have to worry about it, but yes I will still be bitter about the BS at the end of the game, just like when Trevor Releford was fouled shooting a three against Creighton, no call.
Also the play with the ball ever so slightly scratching Petty's shorts makes me want to suggest to our athletics department that we go full on tight 1980s short shorts forever so this mess never happens again.
We should be playing Michigan tonight. Dammit.
Wouldn’t matter if we had the ball with 14 secs left. They foul us and we’d miss both FT’s

Reactions: Bama924
Why don’t you blame missed 3s? One of those misses goes in and Bama overcomes a horrible FT night and wins.

And then there are three calls which benefitted UCLA, any of which would have changed the game in Bama’s favor, FT misses aside.

Sometimes you have to catch a break when things aren’t going your way, and Bama didn’t get one when needed, much less rightly.

Care to refute?
Your own free throws are something YOU control. Missing them was self inflicted and resulted in a loss that should not have happened.
You cannot control the officiating- handle what you can control:
And yes/ you could say the same about 3 pointers- but they are defended. Free throws are— FREE.
How’s that?
Roll Tide.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Even after apathetic play the entire game, Reese said no let's do it again for five minutes. neither team did deserve it in regulation, which is why they played more. A three pointer and herb then throws it to their point guard at the top of the key for a layup and close to done at that point. Live or die with herb Jones and he's always allowed to really drive things in the ground even when it's obvious what's happening to us.
Yep- almost like Oats promised Herb I will make you the focal point with the game on the line. Love Oats and what he has done in a short time/ but will never comprehend Herb and the top of the key driving to basket to win a game.

"This game got stolen out from under them" - I'm not much of a Bayless fan, and this doesn't make a difference today, but I do agree with him that two horrible calls absolutely changed the winner of the game. As he points out, the horrendous FT shooting also killed us, but even with that, Gary was clearly hacked (no call), and UCLA's PG charged against Herb in a fashion they had called a charge on the whole game, and no call again. If they had called that charge, Bama is UP 62-61 with the ball and 14 seconds left. Obviously if we just shoot 65% from the line we don't have to worry about it, but yes I will still be bitter about the BS at the end of the game, just like when Trevor Releford was fouled shooting a three against Creighton, no call.
Also the play with the ball ever so slightly scratching Petty's shorts makes me want to suggest to our athletics department that we go full on tight 1980s short shorts forever so this mess never happens again.
Im glad someone else besides me saw this shit!🤬🤬 Because being a die hard Bama fan takes all credit from you after games like this!

Reactions: BamaTank

Care to refute?

Because us shooting 25% from the 3 point line is not a statistical outlier, we've done that multiple times. Us shooting 44% from the free throw line is a significant outlier. So bad that it was the worst performance at the line in the tournament in that situation in nearly 20 years.

As Oats said himself, shooting free throws is all mental. It's just muscle memory. To me it was obvious that as a team we were not in the right frame of mind from the opening tip. Some worse than others, like Shack and Jones.

Reactions: tydzbk and cola68
Still kicked it and that changed the possession so I thought they missed that call and then the shorts controversy is irrelevant

Because us shooting 25% from the 3 point line is not a statistical outlier, we've done that multiple times. Us shooting 44% from the free throw line is a significant outlier. So bad that it was the worst performance at the line in the tournament in that situation in nearly 20 years.

As Oats said himself, shooting free throws is all mental. It's just muscle memory. To me it was obvious that as a team we were not in the right frame of mind from the opening tip. Some worse than others, like Shack and Jones.
Shack looked and played scared ... he’s a California guy, right? Maybe that was in his head

Putting Herb back in the game in the first half when the lineup out there had the momentum and was on their way to building a double-digit lead. Herb had two fouls and didnt play as aggress as the lineup he had out there. Refusing to call TO when UCLA was going on a run, UCLA coach however, masterfully called them to stop Bama’s momentum.

Putting the ball in Herb's hands at the end of the game while up by two. This took the ball out of JQs hand, who had been able to get to the basket at will.

After Herb didn't come through the first time, he put it back in his hands while down by one, again taking it out of JQs hands. Herb is a great player but offensively challenged at times and this game was one of those times.
I wonder if Oats was thinking that Q had his shot blocked going in a couple of times and that Herb had a better chance ... if Bama could have pulled the bruins rim protector out then Q is the obvious choice

This ^^^

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Shack looked and played scared ... he’s a California guy, right? Maybe that was in his head
Shack picked the Sweet 16 game to have his worst game. He couldn't get out of his own way. I kept waiting for him to get hot, but that time never developed.

Reactions: KJ454
I see so many players shoot FT with their legs as stiff as boards... and on occasion a slight lift of their heels, hence it is all arm action and usually leads to bricks, and even worse if they lean slightly.

I was always taught after a deep breath, to use the sit in a chair motion/action a few times to loosen up your legs, especially in a tight, hectic situation... actually the motion can become part of your FT shot to better stay in alignment when shooting

I think what upset me the most (refs) about the charge not called on Ucla at the end of the game was that the refs didn't call the medical staff out to check on Herb. I was very concerned for his life at the time!

I'm sure everyone here thought the same, right...

Because there is 3 calls for the refs to make:
Charge
Block
Flop.

What happened then....

We’d be getting our asses kicked tonight. We were able to completely throw away the first half of 4 straight postseason games and get away with it but couldn’t make the fifth.
Are you sure that would have happened? UCLA won. LOL.

Giving Herb the ball at the end of regulation cost the game. Putting it all in the hands of our worst offensive players was an awful decision. JQ should've gotten it, he's the only one who can drive the basket and would have probably actually made the layup, at least made 1 of his FTS if not gotten the bucket with an and 1. We deserve to lose for doing that crap

Everyone huh? Talk about being a sensitive snowflake. Butthurt over others having a different opinion.

Butthurt over losing game so you blame the refs. Now butthurt that not everyone is as mentally weak to place all the blame on two bad calls as you are.
Still didn't read my post. That's fine but realize you aren't even responding to me. You really think I'm butthurt over what you, a person I have nothing for, thinks? Especially when you clearly haven't even disputed what I said? The arrogance lol. And yes, everybody knows you love to dip in the "snowflake" bag as your natural defense system. It's what your kind does to kill conversation.

Reactions: oslim
Giving Herb the ball at the end of regulation cost the game. Putting it all in the hands of our worst offensive players was an awful decision. JQ should've gotten it, he's the only one who can drive the basket and would have probably actually made the layup, at least made 1 of his FTS if not gotten the bucket with an and 1. We deserve to lose for doing that crap

Disagree. Riley for UCLA had snuffed out JQ in the 2nd half. Any tome JQ drove, he got stuffed. Oats had to try something different. We got the look we wanted and went to the line. It's on Herb from that point on, and he didn't come through. Not a knock on him at all, but Oats did the right thing. If JQ had been cooking all night long, then the ball needs to go to him, but UCLA adjusted and had him figured out late.

Disagree. Riley for UCLA had snuffed out JQ in the 2nd half. Any tome JQ drove, he got stuffed. Oats had to try something different. We got the look we wanted and went to the line. It's on Herb from that point on, and he didn't come through. Not a knock on him at all, but Oats did the right thing. If JQ had been cooking all night long, then the ball needs to go to him, but UCLA adjusted and had him figured out late.
That's a simple conversation with JQ; you've gotten that underhand layup blocked the last two times you got into the lane. Try going up with a regular layup and maybe try to lean into the defender and draw a foul. JQ got into the lane any time he wanted.

Herb had 4 points the entire game and hasn't been great at driving the basket all year.... give me JQ on that one bud

I don't know, this isn't like CAG's offense where you had to get permission to shoot the ball. I think every single players on the team has the green light to put it up. Oat's runs an offense not sets and I don't believe that their any specific player is designed to take certain shots during the game. I guess we may learn more, but that's just what I see from his philosophy.

You control what you can control. I think the team knew that they couldn’t go much higher in this tournament. Tired of staying in hotels in a blue state they just decided to pack it up & get out of the madness.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
I still say the ball hit the foot of the UCLA player and that is always blown dead and given to the other team. Lots of bad calls but could've been overcome except for the free throws and turnovers in the paint

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT