ADVERTISEMENT

Some Concerning Observations

BBALLSTAN

All Conference
Aug 15, 2006
First let me say this: There is no bigger basketball fan than me. I love this team.
I really have loved their attitude and I believe CNO has done a great job.
But in our last three losses (against good teams) stats kinda speak volumes.
In these games, Herb averaged 6 pts.and 5 turnovers--JP averaged 10 pts.
and 5 turnovers, and Reese averaged 6 pts. Most of the rest of the team
have had ups and downs because of inexperience . We have time to correct our
less than stellar execution but our Seniors have got to step up and carry
this team. I know they care and are trying but we are better than we have played
in these games we have lost. I hope the determination is there.

I think that’s just who we are. We are in much better shape than I thought we would be in year 2 and we have accomplished so much and am super excited for the future, but I think anyone that thought we were really a top 5 team didn’t really watch us play. We lost to Oklahoma with their best 2 players out. Not trying to be negative by any means just realistic.

We are who we are. Herb and Petty have come a long long way but they’ve probably reached somewhere close to their ceiling. But they are our guys this season, win or lose. If you would have told me a couple years ago we could get to this point with Herb, Petty and Reese I would have thought you were the biggest fool alive.
We need a point guard and a big guy that can help us rebound and such. But we aren’t getting those this year, unless JQ steps up huge and Bruner actually gets healthy.

Our success relies specifically on Petty and Herb. Everyone else will be inconsistent.

We need both of them to figure things out - they both have way too much experience to be playing like they have the past few games

Reactions: StablerCountry
Our success relies specifically on Petty and Herb. Everyone else will be inconsistent.

We need both of them to figure things out - they both have way too much experience to be playing like they have the past few games
Yeah while I agree with your thoughts I also agree with what @aggietider is saying. These upperclassmen are 120+ games into their career. They shouldn't be figuring things out.

First let me say this: There is no bigger basketball fan than me. I love this team.
I really have loved their attitude and I believe CNO has done a great job.
But in our last three losses (against good teams) stats kinda speak volumes.
In these games, Herb averaged 6 pts.and 5 turnovers--JP averaged 10 pts.
and 5 turnovers, and Reese averaged 6 pts. Most of the rest of the team
have had ups and downs because of inexperience . We have time to correct our
less than stellar execution but our Seniors have got to step up and carry
this team. I know they care and are trying but we are better than we have played
in these games we have lost. I hope the determination is there.
All 3 of those losses are on the road. It doesn't excuse the losses and unforced errors. Even with Covid, winning on the road is hard.

Reactions: BBALLSTAN
All 3 of those losses are on the road. It doesn't excuse the losses and unforced errors. Even with Covid, winning on the road is hard.
I think the point is we are still a really good team, but if you consider yourself a 1 seed or top 10 team you cant go 1 - 3 against ranked teams.

Reactions: Codie B
Yeah while I agree with your thoughts I also agree with what @aggietider is saying. These upperclassmen are 120+ games into their career. They shouldn't be figuring things out.
And Herb sometimes looks like he has never played when he tries to force things trying to prove he is an NBA player. Has hurt Bama a few times this year.

Reactions: frazor
I think the point is we are still a really good team, but if you consider yourself a 1 seed or top 10 team you cant go 1 - 3 against ranked teams.

The 1 seeds this year are probably not gonna have really impressive records vs ranked teams

The 1 seeds this year are probably not gonna have really impressive records vs ranked teams
Gonzaga - 3-0 against Ranked opponents
Baylor - 5-0 against Ranked opponents
Michigan - 3-0
Ohio State - 3-1 (Only loss to #1 Seed Michigan)

Please explain

Reactions: jtr4dad
You gotta love a post that’s starts with a disclaimer! Simple, Early Foul trouble for Shack+ Reece/Petty/Jones not scoring + JQ back to bad habits = Loss

we may have won if one of those three were not in the equation!

Gonzaga - 3-0 against Ranked opponents
Baylor - 5-0 against Ranked opponents
Michigan - 3-0
Ohio State - 3-1 (Only loss to #1 Seed Michigan)

Please explain

I guess you're going by ranked at the moment. If you go by ranked at the time of the game, I believe ohio state has a losing record

ADVERTISEMENT