ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on play calling

Capstone37

All American
Oct 13, 2005
There are some obvious topics that have been discussed ad nauseum concerning our offense, one of those being inconsistent play on the OL. It has also been mentioned maybe a couple of times (G) that Coker hasn't been the most consistent QB, though at times he's done pretty well.

One of the areas in which he's seemed to do well is when he is running, whether that be on a roll out/dump pass or when he scrambles. He's not widely known for his ability to run but it's obvious he can pull it down and get yards when he needs to.

Seeing as how the OL has had some issues pass protecting, why wouldn't we utilize Coker's obvious ability to run successfully and get him out of the tackle box and give him the option of throwing it or getting yards with his legs? Additionally, it keeps the defense a little more honest and keeps them from loading the box especially if we're able to consistently get yards running Henry down their throat in the HUNH as I've previously mentioned.

I know I'm not the one getting paid millions to make these decisions and thankfully so, though I'd be more than happy taking even a fraction of the salary to do so :) Just seems as though sometimes we don't utilize our few offensive strengths to our advantage, instead opting to force Coker to make throws downfield with which he is obviously not comfortable especially with pressure which has been quite consistent.

I had high hopes for this year's offense with how Kiffin was able to seemingly transform Blake Sims into a great QB for us last year. However this year's offensive play calling hasn't made too many people, including myself, rejoice...Either way, I think we definitely have the ability to win this Saturday, but we'll need to bring our best on every level, including playcalling/execution. I apologize for the book, but I don't post much so I'm making up for lost time :) RTR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News